BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve now just about got my R1250R run in. Its gonna get it’s 600 mile service next week. Obviously, lockdown has slowed this process right down.

My other bike is a Yamaha FZS1000, and I am noticing the windblast on the R1250R. Of course, part of the reason for going naked is to try and keep speed down, plus to enjoy that raw naked bike experience.

Soon, hopefully, lockdown will ease and the opportunity for days out will arrive. That sometimes means 100 miles on a motorway to get to the area you want to visit. I figure the bike as it is, well I’m gonna struggle to hold more than 70mph for an hour or two. In Scotland that kinda leaves you in the inside lane on the motorway. I feel safer in the middle or outer lane.

So, I figure a little sports screen might hopefully allow me to cruise at 80 – 85mph?

BMW Windshields & Windscreen | BMW Motorrad

The BMW screens are about 300 quid. The other issue is I don’t see any decent photos of them.

The only other option I see is the Puig screen. Height wise it looks about right, but its very narrow. 95 quid but maybe there is a fitting kit required?

Puig Sport Screen (2) | Black | BMW R1250 R 2019>

I don’t see much else out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
The only other option I see is the Puig screen. Height wise it looks about right, but its very narrow. 95 quid but maybe there is a fitting kit required?
In the notes on this screen, it says “this screen is designed to fit the model without the original BMW support”. For the 1200, Puig has a version of their sport screen with and without brackets, the latter specifically for those who already have the original BMW screen mount. I’d therefore trust what they say, in that brackets are supplied with the screen for this model.

I can’t comment on the efficacy of the screen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have tried both the BMW high screen and the Puig sport touring screen. Can't speak for the lower Puig but the middle height one produces a lot of buffeting. Took it right off. The high BMW works well, little buffeting and keeps the wind off my chest. BTW, 5'11, 29" inseam.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And the Puig comes in two mounting flavors, one uses the BMW mount, the other its own.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here’s a picture of the OEM one that came with mine. I guess this is the Sport shield...? It’s little more than a flyscreen, but it looks good, protects the TFT, and seems to help take a little pressure off the chest.

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
Interesting scoop underneath it, @RC65 - I think BMW Motorrad has appropriated @mikeS ’s patented designs

Reactions: mikeS

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
My design (well Nigel’s) in comparison looks positively agricultural compared with BMW. However, the concept is the same. I must say, I like the look of factory design - very nice. Looking at the image, it looks as though it's backwards comparable with other LC years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers RC65. The BMW screen does look neat, but it’s really super small and also expensive.

I’ve ordered a Puig in solid black. Waiting for it to arrive.

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
I must say, I like the look of factory design - very nice. Looking at the image, it looks as though it's backwards comparable with other LC years
The BMW scoop is a mere pittance, @mikeS at ~US$25 (which translates to about A$50 at our local parts counter). I think you should order one and try it. 👌 Take one for the team ...

Why, show them your prototype (which BMW Motorrad blatantly stole the design of) and they'd likely provide one gratis as an gesture of good faith.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Interesting scoop underneath it, @RC65 - I think BMW Motorrad has appropriated @mikeS ’s patented designs
I thought it looked different from the OEM setup/holder I’d seen previously in pictures, but wasn’t sure. Interesting.

Mike mentioned that “the concept is the same” as his design...what exactly is the concept, and how does it assumedly improve upon the design of the former bracket? Better wind redirection or...?

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
The design is not as elegant as BMWs but combined with all the other screen mods (sum-of-all-its-parts) has fixed the two major issues with the OEM sports screen being turbulence and headlight bean reflection onto the screen. I have tried taller screens of various sizes & brands and wasn't happy with the end result. As a self confused serial-tinkerer, I now have a small screen with all-year-round functionality while staying as close to naked. I'm happy to live with function over form. WARNING IMAGES CONTAINED MAY CAUSE AND AN OCD FLAIR UP...

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
The BMW scoop is a mere pittance, @mikeS at ~US$25 (which translates to about A$50 at our local parts counter). I think you should order one and try it. Take one for the team ...

Why show them your prototype (which BMW Motorrad blatantly stole the design of) and they'd likely provide one gratis as an gesture of good faith.
I might order one Panzer just to have one when I lodge my dispute with BMW.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ah, okay — interesting. Glad to hear the two past issues are addressed.

The new OEM does look a good deal like yours...hmm, serendipity or...? Here’s a close-up:

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Ah, okay — interesting. Glad to hear the two past issues are addressed.

The new OEM does look a good deal like yours...hmm, serendipity or...? Here’s a close-up:
View attachment 107959
I think the OEM version should resolve the headlight reflection issue and given the size of the screen, it shouldn't create turbulence.

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
I think the OEM version should resolve the headlight reflection issue and given the size of the screen, it shouldn't create turbulence
Those are side-benefits, Mike - it's actually BMW's answer to Ducati's aerofoil wings to create substantial downforce at speeds over 200 km/h.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Those are side-benefits, Mike - it's actually BMW's answer to Ducati's aerofoil wings to create substantial downforce at speeds over 200 km/h.
I’m going with that theory. Also explains why my bike isn’t doing wheelies in Dynamic mode...it’s physics, see, and not because I’m too much a coward to try and do one on a $19K machine.

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
explains why my bike isn’t doing wheelies in Dynamic mode...
Even without wings, the low C-of-G means the bike tends to just skim the front wheel (even with ASC turned off) unless one slips the clutch, and that seems a bit brutal to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve now just about got my R1250R run in. Its gonna get it’s 600 mile service next week. Obviously, lockdown has slowed this process right down.

My other bike is a Yamaha FZS1000, and I am noticing the windblast on the R1250R. Of course, part of the reason for going naked is to try and keep speed down, plus to enjoy that raw naked bike experience.

Soon, hopefully, lockdown will ease and the opportunity for days out will arrive. That sometimes means 100 miles on a motorway to get to the area you want to visit. I figure the bike as it is, well I’m gonna struggle to hold more than 70mph for an hour or two. In Scotland that kinda leaves you in the inside lane on the motorway. I feel safer in the middle or outer lane.

So, I figure a little sports screen might hopefully allow me to cruise at 80 – 85mph?

BMW Windshields & Windscreen | BMW Motorrad

The BMW screens are about 300 quid. The other issue is I don’t see any decent photos of them.

Puig Sport Screen (2) | Black | BMW R1250 R 2019>

I don’t see much else out there.
Hi I went for bmw sport screen - smoked and very happy with it. I bought it off FB Market place for a good price

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cottons, I’m happy with mine as well. It’s really kind of surprising how clean the air cuts without a big shield.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK so the Puig screen arrived yesterday. Popped it on. It is worth noting exactly how your headlight is sitting before fitting these screens (whoops).

In Scotland we are still in lockdown, but then a trip to the hardware store is legitimate. So, click and collect and off I went. One thing I have noticed riding the R1250R (without screen) is the reduced noise and buffeting on my hat – but then there is that pressure on your chest. It was a very blustery windy day here yesterday, so the jury is out, but umm yeah, I’ve already retrieved the packaging from the waste bin – this might end up on gumtree. Yes, the screen makes going quick much much easier, but the air hits my hat half way up my visor and it generates noise and buffeting.

Will see what it is like in calmer conditions. I like the look of it on the bike, it’s basic and mean looking.

Will report back on due course as to how I’m getting on with it.

Photos following.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts