BMW R1200R Forum banner

R1250R sports screen

29K views 65 replies 18 participants last post by  hillocklane 
#1 ·
I’ve now just about got my R1250R run in. Its gonna get it’s 600 mile service next week. Obviously, lockdown has slowed this process right down.

My other bike is a Yamaha FZS1000, and I am noticing the windblast on the R1250R. Of course, part of the reason for going naked is to try and keep speed down, plus to enjoy that raw naked bike experience.

Soon, hopefully, lockdown will ease and the opportunity for days out will arrive. That sometimes means 100 miles on a motorway to get to the area you want to visit. I figure the bike as it is, well I’m gonna struggle to hold more than 70mph for an hour or two. In Scotland that kinda leaves you in the inside lane on the motorway. I feel safer in the middle or outer lane.

So, I figure a little sports screen might hopefully allow me to cruise at 80 – 85mph?

BMW Windshields & Windscreen | BMW Motorrad

The BMW screens are about 300 quid. The other issue is I don’t see any decent photos of them.

The only other option I see is the Puig screen. Height wise it looks about right, but its very narrow. 95 quid but maybe there is a fitting kit required?

Puig Sport Screen (2) | Black | BMW R1250 R 2019>

I don’t see much else out there.

See less See more
#2 ·
The only other option I see is the Puig screen. Height wise it looks about right, but its very narrow. 95 quid but maybe there is a fitting kit required?
In the notes on this screen, it says “this screen is designed to fit the model without the original BMW support”. For the 1200, Puig has a version of their sport screen with and without brackets, the latter specifically for those who already have the original BMW screen mount. I’d therefore trust what they say, in that brackets are supplied with the screen for this model.

I can’t comment on the efficacy of the screen.

#3 ·
I have tried both the BMW high screen and the Puig sport touring screen. Can't speak for the lower Puig but the middle height one produces a lot of buffeting. Took it right off. The high BMW works well, little buffeting and keeps the wind off my chest. BTW, 5'11, 29" inseam.

#5 ·
Here’s a picture of the OEM one that came with mine. I guess this is the Sport shield...? It’s little more than a flyscreen, but it looks good, protects the TFT, and seems to help take a little pressure off the chest.

Reactions: Ontrip
#10 ·
I thought it looked different from the OEM setup/holder I’d seen previously in pictures, but wasn’t sure. Interesting.

Mike mentioned that “the concept is the same” as his design...what exactly is the concept, and how does it assumedly improve upon the design of the former bracket? Better wind redirection or...?

#7 ·
My design (well Nigel’s) in comparison looks positively agricultural compared with BMW. However, the concept is the same. I must say, I like the look of factory design - very nice. Looking at the image, it looks as though it's backwards comparable with other LC years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I must say, I like the look of factory design - very nice. Looking at the image, it looks as though it's backwards comparable with other LC years
The BMW scoop is a mere pittance, @mikeS at ~US$25 (which translates to about A$50 at our local parts counter). I think you should order one and try it. 👌 Take one for the team ...

Why, show them your prototype (which BMW Motorrad blatantly stole the design of) and they'd likely provide one gratis as a gesture of good faith.

#11 ·
The design is not as elegant as BMWs but combined with all the other screen mods (sum-of-all-its-parts) has fixed the two major issues with the OEM sports screen being turbulence and headlight bean reflection onto the screen. I have tried taller screens of various sizes & brands and wasn't happy with the end result. As a self confused serial-tinkerer, I now have a small screen with all-year-round functionality while staying as close to naked. I'm happy to live with function over form. WARNING IMAGES CONTAINED MAY CAUSE AND AN OCD FLAIR UP...

Reactions: Panzermann
#14 ·
I think the OEM version should resolve the headlight reflection issue and given the size of the screen, it shouldn't create turbulence.

#18 ·
I’ve now just about got my R1250R run in. Its gonna get it’s 600 mile service next week. Obviously, lockdown has slowed this process right down.

My other bike is a Yamaha FZS1000, and I am noticing the windblast on the R1250R. Of course, part of the reason for going naked is to try and keep speed down, plus to enjoy that raw naked bike experience.

Soon, hopefully, lockdown will ease and the opportunity for days out will arrive. That sometimes means 100 miles on a motorway to get to the area you want to visit. I figure the bike as it is, well I’m gonna struggle to hold more than 70mph for an hour or two. In Scotland that kinda leaves you in the inside lane on the motorway. I feel safer in the middle or outer lane.

So, I figure a little sports screen might hopefully allow me to cruise at 80 – 85mph?

BMW Windshields & Windscreen | BMW Motorrad

The BMW screens are about 300 quid. The other issue is I don’t see any decent photos of them.

Puig Sport Screen (2) | Black | BMW R1250 R 2019>

I don’t see much else out there.
Hi I went for bmw sport screen - smoked and very happy with it. I bought it off FB Market place for a good price

#20 ·
OK so the Puig screen arrived yesterday. Popped it on. It is worth noting exactly how your headlight is sitting before fitting these screens (whoops).

In Scotland we are still in lockdown, but then a trip to the hardware store is legitimate. So, click and collect and off I went. One thing I have noticed riding the R1250R (without screen) is the reduced noise and buffeting on my hat – but then there is that pressure on your chest. It was a very blustery windy day here yesterday, so the jury is out, but umm yeah, I’ve already retrieved the packaging from the waste bin – this might end up on gumtree. Yes, the screen makes going quick much much easier, but the air hits my hat half way up my visor and it generates noise and buffeting.

Will see what it is like in calmer conditions. I like the look of it on the bike, it’s basic and mean looking.

Will report back on due course as to how I’m getting on with it.

Photos following.

#23 ·
I've used about a half-dozen aero-farkles to date, here's my impression:

MadStad Engineering: Big, goofy looking, super adjustable. Loud, but zero buffeting and keeps you warmer/drier in the winter.
BMW Touring Shield: Loud, buffety, and did I mention super loud?
BMW Sport Shield: Also loud, even more buffety, and didn't do much
Wunderlich Headlight Fairing: Doesn't do a damned thing, but looks great and doesn't buffet.
Naked: Bugs in the clocks, but no diff to the Wunderlich

Me: 5'8" tall, Shoei GT-Air, wearing earplugs and using comms.

#24 ·
Cheers fellas.

Might be able to get out on the bike later today. Its nice and calm today, so should get a better feel for what this screen does.

Yeah I’m about 5’8” and I currently use an Arai Viper GT.

I tend to wear ear plugs when I’m covering any sort of distance, but to and from work (7 miles each way) I don’t bother.

I see you’ve tried a few screens Mike. So what, if anything is fitted to your bike now?

Not sure, Panzermann.

#25 ·
So, 60 miles on the bike today in nice sunny calm conditions. Not half as bad as it was the other day in gusting winds. There is buffeting and yes ear plugs are required at speed. Doing a steady 85-90 mph is a breeze now, but noisy. How I feel find it on a long run I’m not sure – but I’ll have to wait for further easing of lockdown to find out.

I can feel the wind blast just brushing but not catching my shoulders. If I move my hand about at 80mph I can feel the wind blast hitting my hat half way up the visor.

Which is something I am getting used to remembering about on this bike – screen or no screen – I need to deploy the wee visor lock when out of town, otherwise a glance over my shoulder pulls the visor right up!

So, it stays on for now. Will see how I get on in the longer term.

#26 ·
Thanks for the review. Am hoping my OEM Sport shield will continue to do the trick, but I suspect if I start doing some longer-mile rides on this thing, I may need to look at something more robust, and I like the size and shape of that Puig.

Reactions: mikeS
#27 ·
RC65, where does the wind hit you with the BMW sports screen?

Like I say, with the Puig, at around 80mph on a calm day the wind blast just catches the top of my shoulders but doesn't pull on them, then in the centre it catches my visor half was up.

The Jury on the PUIG is out for me. I’m gonna leave it on and see how it goes. I really need a good run, a full day out to see how I get on. In others words whether the buffeting gets annoying or headache inducing on a long run.

Going to work and back next week will tell me what its like on my short commute without ear plugs (7 miles mainly open road)

#28 · (Edited)
RC65, where does the wind hit you with the BMW sports screen?
About mid-chest level...it's not much more than a flyscreen, so it's trimming some of the lower chest pressure but otherwise it's just clean air -- which makes for a surprisingly pleasant ride, if a bit noisier than what I'm used to with bigger shields (more buffeting, usually, but quieter). I'm 6'1", 34" inseam.

EDIT 5/3/21, 10 months later: It actually hits toward the bottom of the helmet, around the shoulders, about a half-foot higher than what I indicated above. Not sure why I said it was that low...chalk it up to being relatively new to the bike at that time, I suppose, and not really paying attention to the nuances of it all.

Reactions: derudog
#29 ·
Hi Gareth, I have fitted the bmw sport screen and the aerofoil thing at the bottom of the screen. Not sure what it does... I have just bought a puig sport screen like yours and will test it at the wkend to see what the difference is for me and will post an update after. I'm just looking for a little more protection around 85-90mph when touring.

#30 ·
Look forward to hearing how you get on Beaky61.

I’ve had the Puig screen on for a few weeks now. It will allow you to ride a higher speed without feeling the wind blast is trying to drag you off the back of the bike. However, it is noisy – ear plugs are a must.

Good news is, from the 3rd of July the travel restriction is being lifted in Scotland. So, for the first time since I got my bike, I have the opportunity of a good run or a day out. Wow!

#31 ·
I have just returned from a ride in quite windy conditions in the midlands. The puig screen in my opinion is so much better than the bmw sport screen. Yes it is still noisey but not as noisey as the sport screen. I am 5ft 7" the wind seems to hit my chest and shoulders but not very much towards my helmet, even when I raised my hand to feel where the wind was hitting me. Wether it's due to the air foil thing at the bottom of the screen I don't know. There is almost no turbulence at my helmet. 85-95mph hardly any noticeable difference in noise or pressure. I would be happy to tour Europe with the puig and may sell the bmw sport screen. Overall for me, the puig is recommended.

#32 ·
That’s interesting Beaky. You have some sort of aerofoil combined with the Puig screen? Any photos?

I’m hoping soon I can get out for a decent long ride. It’s till lockdown in Scotland – no non-essential travel, but that all changes next weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.