BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
Is there room for the under-screen aerofoil?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've used about a half-dozen aero-farkles to date, here's my impression:

MadStad Engineering: Big, goofy looking, super adjustable. Loud, but zero buffeting and keeps you warmer/drier in the winter.
BMW Touring Shield: Loud, buffety, and did I mention super loud?
BMW Sport Shield: Also loud, even more buffety, and didn't do much
Wunderlich Headlight Fairing: Doesn't do a damned thing, but looks great and doesn't buffet.
Naked: Bugs in the clocks, but no diff to the Wunderlich

Me: 5'8" tall, Shoei GT-Air, wearing earplugs and using comms.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Cheers fellas.

Might be able to get out on the bike later today. Its nice and calm today, so should get a better feel for what this screen does.

Yeah I’m about 5’8” and I currently use an Arai Viper GT.

I tend to wear ear plugs when I’m covering any sort of distance, but to and from work (7 miles each way) I don’t bother.

I see you’ve tried a few screens Mike. So what, if anything is fitted to your bike now?

Not sure, Panzermann.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, 60 miles on the bike today in nice sunny calm conditions. Not half as bad as it was the other day in gusting winds. There is buffeting and yes ear plugs are required at speed. Doing a steady 85-90 mph is a breeze now, but noisy. How I feel find it on a long run I’m not sure – but I’ll have to wait for further easing of lockdown to find out.

I can feel the wind blast just brushing but not catching my shoulders. If I move my hand about at 80mph I can feel the wind blast hitting my hat half way up the visor.

Which is something I am getting used to remembering about on this bike – screen or no screen – I need to deploy the wee visor lock when out of town, otherwise a glance over my shoulder pulls the visor right up!

So, it stays on for now. Will see how I get on in the longer term.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the review. Am hoping my OEM Sport shield will continue to do the trick, but I suspect if I start doing some longer-mile rides on this thing, I may need to look at something more robust, and I like the size and shape of that Puig.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
RC65, where does the wind hit you with the BMW sports screen?

Like I say, with the Puig, at around 80mph on a calm day the wind blast just catches the top of my shoulders but doesn't pull on them, then in the centre it catches my visor half was up.

The Jury on the PUIG is out for me. I’m gonna leave it on and see how it goes. I really need a good run, a full day out to see how I get on. In others words whether the buffeting gets annoying or headache inducing on a long run.

Going to work and back next week will tell me what its like on my short commute without ear plugs (7 miles mainly open road)

·
Registered
99 Posts
RC65, where does the wind hit you with the BMW sports screen?
About mid-chest level...it's not much more than a flyscreen, so it's trimming some of the lower chest pressure but otherwise it's just clean air -- which makes for a surprisingly pleasant ride, if a bit noisier than what I'm used to with bigger shields (more buffeting, usually, but quieter). I'm 6'1", 34" inseam.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Gareth, I have fitted the bmw sport screen and the aerofoil thing at the bottom of the screen. Not sure what it does... I have just bought a puig sport screen like yours and will test it at the wkend to see what the difference is for me and will post an update after. I'm just looking for a little more protection around 85-90mph when touring.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Look forward to hearing how you get on Beaky61.

I’ve had the Puig screen on for a few weeks now. It will allow you to ride a higher speed without feeling the wind blast is trying to drag you off the back of the bike. However, it is noisy – ear plugs are a must.

Good news is, from the 3rd of July the travel restriction is being lifted in Scotland. So, for the first time since I got my bike, I have the opportunity of a good run or a day out. Wow!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have just returned from a ride in quite windy conditions in the midlands. The puig screen in my opinion is so much better than the bmw sport screen. Yes it is still noisey but not as noisey as the sport screen. I am 5ft 7" the wind seems to hit my chest and shoulders but not very much towards my helmet, even when I raised my hand to feel where the wind was hitting me. Wether it's due to the air foil thing at the bottom of the screen I don't know. There is almost no turbulence at my helmet. 85-95mph hardly any noticeable difference in noise or pressure. I would be happy to tour Europe with the puig and may sell the bmw sport screen. Overall for me, the puig is recommended.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That’s interesting Beaky. You have some sort of aerofoil combined with the Puig screen? Any photos?

I’m hoping soon I can get out for a decent long ride. It’s till lockdown in Scotland – no non-essential travel, but that all changes next weekend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have added the sport screen pic so you can see the aero foil thing better. It is about £18 from bmw and fits by 1 screw and 3 clips to the original bmw arms/fitting. Best value ever from bmw.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I originally bought the screen from piddock Nottingham over the phone it's very expensive £170 the fitting was included but they sent the wrong kit, I stated my displeasure when they wanted nearly £150 for the fitting kit. They did eventually send it free of charge when I reminded them I had only bought the screen due to the fitting kit being included as they stated it did when I ordered. The aero foil came from rybrook bmw Leamington Spa.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ah well. My Puig screen is mounted on the puig mounts. The Puig screen mount comes in at 22 quid.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The Puig screen is certainly reasonable value.
Five days till travel restrictions lift in Scotland!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts