BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
R1250R Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a tail pack for a 1250 r, have read an old thread on here about the sw motech ion being a decent bag. Has anyone any other suggestions ? Just required for day trips, around the 8 litre size.

·
Registered
R1250R Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I currently don't have the rack so was looking for something to go on the rear seat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found the BMW bag was too large for my SW Motech rack.
Tried a seat bag. That was good and looked quite smart. But you have to watch where the straps go. Or you may have trouble removing the seat.

Then I modified a Peli Storm case.
The one shown has now been replaced with one a bit lower and wider.

Both bag and case are now for sale.

·
Registered
12 Posts
im2100 please see pictures.
Just wanted something to carry a few tools, lock, waterproof trousers, spare gloves, straps, puncture repair kit, compressor and a vacume flask. No room for much else. But can easily secure more stuff onto back seat, using the box as a stop.
It’s rubber mounted, and secured with a mixture of stainless M8 bolts, washers and acorn nuts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recommend a Kriega US Dry pack. 5, 10 or 20 liters, depeding on your needs. Waterproof and can be used as a tank bag with their tank bag adapter. Also folds flat so you can store it inside other luggage when not in need.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for that, I currently don't have the rack so was looking for something to go on the rear seat.
Both the Small and Large fits on the seat.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Covered on another tread, The BMW Softbag 3 is excellent.

They will mount on a rack or on the grab handles.

Have been using mine for the past 2 seasons. It also has a big waterproof compartment.

Reactions: Lee F

·
Registered
R1250R Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will be getting the bmw soft bag 3 at a later date for over night trips but at moment just wanting a small pack for daily runs...I have decided to go with the sw motech ion as have read the foot print of the bag fits the seat exactly and it is the size am looking for and is waterproof.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am using the Nelson Rig Commuter Sport bag for my day trips. Gloves, water, documents, tire repair stuff, etc. The straps go under the pillion seat and it is expandable to fit a light jacket inside. Not waterproof though.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
Not waterproof though.
It always amazes me that tank bags, seat bags etc are not designed to be waterproof, with a separate (tedious) rain cover required. In this day and age, it shouldn't be that hard (albeit a bit more expensive - I'd pay).

Reactions: Andyr1250r

·
Registered
248 Posts
It always amazes me that tank bags, seat bags etc are not designed to be waterproof, with a separate (tedious) rain cover required. In this day and age, it shouldn't be that hard (albeit a bit more expensive - I'd pay).
I agree.
I like that our BMW Soft Bag 3 Small is waterproof.

Reactions: MGL

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree.
I like that our BMW Soft Bag 3 Small is waterproof.
I took a look at the BMW bag and only the roll top inner compartment is waterproof.
This is way too cumbersome for me to get stuff in and out like my spray bottle of Invisible glass and microfiber towel, a set of gloves, Covid mask, etc. The roll top was a deal breaker for me. To each his own.
I agree though, it's silly that the outer shell isn't waterproof. I'd pay more for that in a heartbeat

·
Registered
248 Posts
I took a look at the BMW bag and only the roll top inner compartment is waterproof.
This is way too cumbersome for me to get stuff in and out like my spray bottle of Invisible glass and microfiber towel, a set of gloves, Covid mask, etc. The roll top was a deal breaker for me. To each his own.
I agree though, it's silly that the outer shell isn't waterproof. I'd pay more for that in a heartbeat
There's little shock cords that hold the roll top open. I only close it when it looks like rain.
Here's a pic of my old Soft Bag 2
Lee's Soft Bag2 Small (1).JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts

Hello, I'm using a GIVI tank bag converted into a tail bag for my gym gear and water bottle. It has two side pockets which is handy for sunnies, walet and snacks. Works well, but not waterproof that's why it comes with a hoodie.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
1 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered the SW Mo-Tech Pro Rearbag Tail Bag and should arrive either Monday or Tuesday. I'll post some pictures of the bag on and off the bike when it comes in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered the SW Mo-Tech Pro Rearbag Tail Bag and should arrive either Monday or Tuesday. I'll post some pictures of the bag on and off the bike when it comes in.
Thanks, I would like to see the SW Pro Rearbag as mounted on the R 1250 R. I mounted the SW Motech rear rack vs the BMW rack, and will also be getting the SW mounting plate. I have installed the Kenimoto Tail Bag,https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B085997KQJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details, on the rear seat and am satisfied with that when doing only day trips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts