BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new tyre thread. Yeah!

My R1250R is one year old now. And it looks like it needs new tyres. With 3900 miles showing it would appear I’m starting to break through to the canvas on the rear OE Metzeler roadtec Z8. The front, whilst in better shape than the rear, is pretty much done too.

It is not the easiest to judge tyre wear on the rear Z8, the tyre appears to be legal but is in actual fact now in a dangerous state.

Having said that, I can’t really fault the Z8’s, they have been pretty good. They have gripped well in dry and wet conditions. The handling was sweet for the first 3000 miles, before gradually deteriorating. The handling is pretty nasty at the mo. It is a long time since I’ve really noticed tyres going off, but you know all about it on the R1250R with the Z8’s.

The bike is booked in for new tyres next Friday. I phoned the dealer, and the quoted price was fine.

And we have new tyres coming to the market this year. Obviously, I’m going for sports touring.

There are two new tyres from Continental Tyre. One is a budget option, the other is also keenly priced but it is not clear where it sits in their range with the ContiRoadAttack3 still being hyped as their most advanced tyre. So, I’m confused – therefore I’ll skip.

Bridgestone also have a new tyre out – the Sport Touring T32. So applying the latest is the greatest logic I’m going with the T32’s. They look good :) Someone has to try em out:unsure: – so I’ll let youse know what I think.

And I hope they last a bit longer than the short lived Z8’s.

·
Registered
241 Posts
4K :eek: I like it, ride it like you stole it.
Metzeler Roadtec 01, had 3 sets now better than Z8 and last a little longer.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4K :eek: I like it, ride it like you stole it.
Absolutely not. I like to buzz about, but I'm by no means thrashing the thing everywhere.

Hope to get more milage out of the T32's - surely.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
I was very happy with a set of T30 Evos on my 1200-LC some while back, and they gave similar mileage to the Road 5s I currently use. I don’t recall significant handling change towards the end of their life.

I’d be happy with T32s too, I’m sure, but I’m sticking with Michelin as their more flexible carcass makes them easier to fit.

Reactions: Turtl

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT | ‘13 F800GT
39 Posts
T32’s on my F800GT. 5000+ miles on them and I still like them.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
T32’s on my F800GT. 5000+ miles on them and I still like them.
You sure? New for 2021. They only just came into stock over here.

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT | ‘13 F800GT
39 Posts
You’re right — they’re T31’s, not T32’s. Apologies!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just bought but haven't yet received a set of T32. Have 7k on the OEM Road4 and should get another 2k maybe. The pair of Bridgestone with shipping $270 usd. The Michelin Road 5 about $425.
I thought the Bridgestones' a good price, hope it performs as well as the Michelin.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You’re right — they’re T31’s, not T32’s. Apologies!
No worries bud.

I just bought but haven't yet received a set of T32. Have 7k on the OEM Road4 and should get another 2k maybe. The pair of Bridgestone with shipping $270 usd. The Michelin Road 5 about $425.

I thought the Bridgestone's a good price, hope it performs as well as the Michelin.
9000 miles – wow!

Going for the T32’s over the R5’s saved me 30 quid – nothing really – I just thought hey I’ll try the latest tyre on the market.

At your prices basstodave, I wouldn’t even consider the Michelin.

Over here – going by the internet prices, most of the tyres are of a similar price – the Roadtec 01 is maybe 20% cheaper. Then there’s big savings for older tech tyres like the Z8.

·
Registered
146 Posts
9000 miles – wow!

Going for the T32’s over the R5’s saved me 30 quid – nothing really – I just thought hey I’ll try the latest tyre on the market.

At your prices basstodave, I wouldn’t even consider the Michelin.

Over here – going by the internet prices, most of the tyres are of a similar price – the Roadtec 01 is maybe 20% cheaper. Then there’s big savings for older tech tyres like the Z8.
I admit your thread along with the indirect endorsement from Panzerman had some influence on my purchase. Also my 9k estimate of use from the Michelins is perhaps overly optimistic.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes of course Gareth - we get everything last 😃
Yeah but I’ll be first in Scotland! :D

Roadtec 01 are very good. I plan on trying the Pilot Road next that everyone raves about.
Yup that’s what I figure just try different stuff asparaguspee. The other thing is I’m used to getting two rears to one front, but there ain’t that much left of the Z8 on the front, plus the front seems to form a shoulder on each side (I think grooves along the length of the tyre are maybe not a great idea)

·
Registered
70 Posts
My original Metzeler Z8 tyres need replacing soon.

I’m torn between the Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE and the Michelin Road 5 for their replacements.

My bike is used throughout the year - rain or shine (and it rains a lot here) - for commuting and the occasional longer trip. I want sporty dry performance but also very good wet grip. I’m not that concerned about longevity.

Any views or comments?

Jack

·
Registered
436 Posts

I’m torn between the Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE and the Michelin Road 5 for their replacements.

My bike is used throughout the year - rain or shine (and it rains a lot here) - for commuting and the occasional longer trip. I want sporty dry performance but also very good wet grip. I’m not that concerned about longevity.

Any views or comments?

Jack
The Road5 is consistently rated at the top for rain, and near the top for dry grip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

According to MCN all the latest offerings from the big tyre manufactures are better than the OE Z8’s.

All-rounder rubber! It's the best sports-touring tyres

The Bridgestone in their test is the older T31, now superseded by the T32.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the Roadtec 01 SE, 3500km so far. Nothing to fault except the front tire is really noisy with those grooves. The Road 5s I had before were a lot quieter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Roadtec 01 SE, 3500km so far. Nothing to fault except the front tire is really noisy with those grooves. The Road 5s I had before were a lot quieter.
Those are the two tyres I’m looking at. Which one would you advise me to go for..?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Those are the two tyres I’m looking at. Which one would you advise me to go for..?
When the Roadtec wears out, I’m probably going to switch back to the Road 5 or look into something else just because that front tire noise really gets in the way for me. I think performance between the two is identical, so I suggest the Road 5.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When the Roadtec wears out, I’m probably going to switch back to the Road 5 or look into something else just because that front tire noise really gets in the way for me. I think performance between the two is identical, so I suggest the Road 5.
Ok thanks - that’s what I’ll do!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts