BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had the Bridgestone T31, installed by the previous owner; I liked the grip but had an anomalous wear on the front tire, the central part or band would kinda stick out. Replaced with Metzeler M5 (the sporty version of the Z8) since I don't do tons of miles per year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well spotted Tiz I thought this pic was of the new tyres, bikes gone for a service today so I can’t take a picture, but so far I’m really pleased with them and I also think they look great

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
432 Posts
Well spotted Tiz I thought this pic was of the new tyres, bikes gone for a service today so I can’t take a picture, but so far I’m really pleased with them and I also think they look great
Anxious to hear what kind of mileage you get on Diablo Corsas on an R. Please update us.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hehe well I just fitted a pair of Metzeler M5 and the Greek Pi pattern is so "Metzeler"

·
Registered
2019 R1250R HP Black, 2019 R1250GS HP Rally X
23 Posts
Wow! Those tyres aren't anywhere near worn out.
The rubber seems to be breaking down and looks to be more a manufacturing defect than wear.
Or I'd say you might have locked up the rear maybe and kept riding, but the damage was done. I don't know.
With the rain grooves you show in the photo, I'd be pretty pissed if I was replacing tyres with that much tread left, although, getting 3500+ miles on a set of tyres isn't something I do ever, so I probably wouldn't complain if that happened to me.

Michelin Pilot Road 5 or Pirelli Angel GT II are my go to since the original Metzeler's wore out. Last a long time and have really good wet weather grip, especially the Michelin's, in my experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
On various bikes I have run just about everything. The latest set on there now are Dunlop Roadsmart 3. Very good tire. Reminds me of the Angel GT for grip but after nearly 3000 miles they show very little wear. Quiet and predictable too. They released the Roadsmart 4 so the 3 is on sale now. I may grab an extra set just to have them. I had the Road 5 before and they are very good too, but pricey. Was not a fan of the OEM Metzlers.

·
Registered
R1250R
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wow! Those tyres aren't anywhere near worn out.
Turtl, they are, they are done. There is no tread in the centre of the tyre, and therefore no depth indicator. There are 2mm indictors in the grooves nearest the centre and these are smudged and worn.

The mark in the centre is because the rubber in the centre is now so thin I’m starting to break through to the tyre casing underneath. I’ve stopped using the bike.

The bike will get fitted with mew tyres tomorrow.

They released the Roadsmart 4
So I’ve heard, quite fancied them, but no stock showing in Scotland as yet.

·
Registered
R1250R
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So got my new tyres today.

What a day. It absolutely hammered it down just before I was due to head, but then magically it stopped raining and the sun came out. Phew – as I don’t really have any proper wet weather gear.

Was cold, temp indicator was down to 5 degrees over the hill out of Largs.

Found the new premises for DP Motorrad in Glasgow. Weird place. It’s a BMW car service centre with a motorcycle dealership attached. Due to covid restrictions I couldn’t check out the new bikes etc.

Anyway, soon my tyres were on and I was off. Magically I managed to get home without getting wet. I got indoors, put the kettle on fae a cuppa and it started hammering doon. I was real lucky. After a cuppa I popped back out to wash the bike down and found it covered in sleet and hail.

So, what can I tell you about the tyres? I got Bridgestone T32 Sports Touring Tyres. These are new to the market so it’ll be interesting to see what they are like. Initial impressions are – well the bike is no longer nasty; it feels planted and neutral. I always felt the Z8’s were quite sporty in construction – in that they like to tip in, but nicely, until they are well worn by which time they turn nasty. These initially feel more neutral, but I’ve yet to get them fully scrubbed in. But yeah, so far so good.

So Bridgestone claim, over the T31, a 13% increase in contact patch. They have pulse groove technology for clearing water (yeah really!) and a 7% improvement in stopping distance in wet conditions.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,387 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,983 Posts

·
6,387 Posts
not dissimilar to a 10-year-old Laphroaig
Love the analogy to a good peaty single malt – bold, smoky taste, followed by a hint of seaweed. 👌

·
Registered
R1250R
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If you are fond of licking well used ashtrays, you may very well also enjoy the delicate and refined flavour of The Laphroaig or for that matter the new T32 sports touring tyre from Bridgestone.

So how about the Road 5’s? They look cool, but what do they taste like?

·
6,387 Posts
So how about the Road 5’s? They look cool, but what do they taste like?
Hermann reckons they taste like chicken.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
2,983 Posts
Reactions: Panzermann
21 - 40 of 74 Posts