BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
R1250R
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
At 12 degrees C it was a good bit warmer today, and reasonably dry, so I figured I may as well finish scrubbing in the tyres.

So what can I tell you? Well, the Bridgestone BT32’s are round and pretty forgettable. I mean other than initially noticing that the bike didn’t bite back every corner I kinda forgot about them and just got on with having a nice 30 mile blast.

They seem absolutely fine. Again, I’d say more neutral than the sporty profiled Z8’s

So now fully scrubbed in, but nowhere to go. Just waiting for lockdown to be lifted and some half decent weather.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
432 Posts
"I forgot about them" actually sounds like quite an accomplishment for a tire, in my opinion.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Road 5's smell about like a Laphroaig, too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,387 Posts
Road 5's smell about like a Laphroaig, too
I might have to try this Laphroaig, then.

If they did a blend that had the smell of a new book, my wife would probably even drink it.

·
Registered
R1250R
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I might have to try this Laphroaig, then.
It is sort of similar taste to a well-used ash tray, with a bouquet of motorcycle tyre whilst the after taste is of dentists finger. If you are of a certain age you will probably remember the days before dentists wore latex gloves and yes that strange mingin lingering taste after they had had their fingers in yer gob.

Go for cask strength for the full effect.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
'bout time for a new oils thread, surely?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'm 600miles in, so rather ignorant. Anyone change their own Tyres?
If so, what is involved?

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,762 Posts
I'm 600miles in, so rather ignorant. Anyone change their own Tyres?
If so, what is involved?
I change my own tyres, you will need a bead buster, some (I use 3) levers, some tyre soap and a work area which will keep the disk off the ground. The secret to using levers is to go very slowly and only lever an inch at a time, don't be tempted to lever great lumps of tyre in one go, you will shag the rims. You will need a wheel balancing kit as well.
Bead busters can be made at home, there are plenty of youtube vids on that.
Soap does not have to be special, it can be made at home for pence.
You will need decent levers and put a piece of leather or plastic underneath before levering.
Front wheel can be balanced in the forks and some don't even bother to balance the rear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got my original-equipment Metzeler Z8 tyres replaced with Michelin Road 5s after asking for recommendations in this thread.

I’ve done a couple of hundred miles on them now and they’re scrubbed-in.

Initial impressions are that they are fantastic tyres! Virtually as good as full-on sports tyres in the dry (at least for road use), and brilliantly grippy in the wet.

Very happy with my choice and thanks to all who gave advice.

Jack

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just fitted Michelin Power 5s to my 1250R. I am doing the two day Yamaha Champ School at New Jersey Motorsports Park in late June. I replaced my Pilot Road 5s as they were getting close to needing replacement at around 4K.
I am running close to track tire pressure as recommended by Michelin to get the feel of the tires before I get to the school. I am running 30lbs. front and rear. It's always amazing how new sneakers always make such a huge difference in how the bike handles. The profile of these tires seems perfect for the 1250R. It seems like I just have to shift my weight a bit to turn in, no real bar pressure needed. Once in the corner, the bike just tracks perfectly. The steering is light and the bike does not "fall"into the corner. I like them, very neutral and great grip. Here is Michelins recommendation. I was shocked at how low they recommend for the rear!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I had no idea the life was so low. Is there a decent tire for those that travel longer but don't push the grip / corners that I wouldn't have to change so often?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Go for a touring tyre if you want longevity.
Personally I would stick to sport touring tyres like Pirelli Angel or Road 5s. You get decent longevity and decent grip.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,387 Posts
I get over 11000 km from Road 5’s - and I like to use all the tyre rather than just the middle strip ...

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Go for a touring tyre if you want longevity.
Personally I would stick to sport touring tyres like Pirelli Angel or Road 5s. You get decent longevity and decent grip.
Please suggest one and mileage. I have a place in CA and in CO. So a nice 2 day trip is 1,000 miles one way and 1,000 one way back. I do this monthly now in a car. I want to rotate the bike in but it is less expensive to drive my Mercedes/s (really - not a joke). I have 245K miles on one and 120K miles on the other and get 50K easy on a set of tires and the E320 (CDI Diesel) gets about the MPG of the BMW R1250R. So while I enjoy the bike, it is quite costly to ride. I can afford that, but it kinda annoys me I can drive a sedan at 20MPH faster and less cost.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've never ridden with touring tyres so I have no suggestions sorry. But I doubt any of them would get close to car tyre mileage.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I've never ridden with touring tyres so I have no suggestions sorry. But I doubt any of them would get close to car tyre mileage.
I'm looking for what are better than 6K miles. Seems like 12K is something achievable. I guess I had some romantic feeling that a BMW R was less costly than a car. More fun, yes. Less costly, it seems not.

·
Registered
R1250R
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Please suggest one and mileage.
Pick any sports touring tyre. I went for the T32’s – Bridgestone are claiming increased milage over its predecessor the T31 which had a good reputation for decent milage.

As for how many miles you'll get - well how long is a piece of string?

41 - 60 of 74 Posts