BMW R1200R Forum banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
When will this model be available in the Us?
Its not even in the us motorrad site so it might end up being a 2020 for the us market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dealer said late spring for the RS. Probably the same for the R.
The US BMW website is always slow to update.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
With those prices, if I’d been procrastinating over whether to go with the current model or await the 1250, I’d be spewin’ (Australianism for gross disappointment) if I’d missed out on the recent $3,500 clearance discount.

Looks to be beyond reasonable value for money in my financial framework.

·
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Swung by the local dealer while out on errands this morning. The showroom was very bare, with excellent runout deals having been on offer of late. The only Boxer was a single GS, there was an inordinately high percentage of F800GT/R's on the floor (including a used 2016 R with 5,500 km on the clock for $4900) and the remainder were S1000RR/R plus a sprinkling of G300's.

The 1250GS is expected next month and the R/RS in March/April. Prices are likely to be up on the R1200 RRP by between $1500 and $2500 depending on spec (White/red/blue HP version gets Akro as standard). Even the 1250GS hasn't yet made it onto the BMW Oz Motorrad site.

Reactions: Thunder Fighter

·
Registered
257 Posts
So I guess for a fully spec'd machine you would be looking at $29-30k AUD and on a new model, even small discounts will be hard to come by. That does make me feel much better about picking up a new LC on a good discount 5 months ago. Probably saved me at least $5000AUD ($3600 USD) for a few HP and a better dash setup.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
You got a shiny black engine rather than matte black, too, Dennis. Don't know how practical the latter will be - I'd expect a matte finish to be harder to clean.

Reactions: Thunder Fighter

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
So I guess for a fully spec'd machine you would be looking at $29-30k AUD and on a new model, even small discounts will be hard to come by. That does make me feel much better about picking up a new LC on a good discount 5 months ago. Probably saved me at least $5000AUD ($3600 USD) for a few HP and a better dash setup.
As I said a long time ago, BMW motorcycles are now far too costly and far too complex to appeal to the average guy in the street, IMHO and all that. Won't be long at this rate before they touch the $40,000 mark... :surprise:

·
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
As I said a long time ago, BMW motorcycles are now far too costly and far too complex to appeal to the average guy in the street, IMHO and all that. Won't be long at this rate before they touch the $40,000 mark... :surprise:
Back to the 70’s, Lawrence - BMW’s were around double the price of a Japper, but I don’t think the current market will appreciate the mystique of the German marque to that extent again.

As I remarked earlier, the price is getting beyond what I would think reasonable for my budget these days; my current bike was at my limit. The complexity doesn’t faze my (I trust BMW’s engineering) but you pay for it and the additional features such as TFT dash.

If I were looking to upgrade from my F800ST these days (rather than three years ago) I’d be very happy to seek out a used 1200-LC (or runout special) and leave it at that. My beautiful lily (Exclusive-LC)needs no further gilding.

Reactions: ArbOl

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Back to the 70’s, Lawrence - BMW’s were around double the price of a Japper, out a used 1200-LC (or runout special) and leave it at that.
Be warned, PZ - clem will have your nuts for the 'Japper' term :grin2:!

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
184 Posts
Same can be said of any Ducati, Harley and KTM.
Yet, they all sell reasonable well.

The resale value of a BMW is also very high.

The total cost of ownership is therefore not too bad.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No thanks. I’ll stick with my old style telelever air cooled. I didn’t care for the direction they took the model when they went water cooled. The lines were too busy. This newest one, with all the bolt-on plastic and sectional parts is a visual mess. No lines at all.

If for some reason I have to replace mine, I’ll try hard to find a gently used telelever. If I can’t, I’ll go with an R nineT or a GS. I’ve followed the R1200R as far as I’m going to follow it. I hope the people who dig it buy it and ride the heck out of it. It’s just not for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took the new R1250GS out for a test ride today, ... the new engine is amazing (a potential licence loser); ... the TFT screen is very bright, clear and large, I liked that as well; ... and the brakes(Hayes front), suspension and handling is typically GS perfect. AND an LED headlight !

The colour choices were not so good, ..

The HP (Rallye) colours on the tank, beak and seat edges are red, white and blue and look good, ... the engine and drive is black and nice, .. but I'm not sure about the extra money for the white painted frame (why front half only!) and Gold spoked wheels. And the black handlebars didn't work for me either.

The TE Exclusive is a bit more sober, (very) shiny black alloys, black engine and drive, black beak, tank and seat edges, .. but the yellow in the graphics just doesn't work for me personally, (If i had one I would have to peel the decals off on day 1, ... don't know if they can be peeled off but they don't seem to be lacquered over). The frame is grey, but again the front half only !

A fun day :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
All 3 colors for the R on the 1st page look good to me.

If the fuel tank range is less than my hexhead R though, I'll probably never own one. My guess it it will continue with the smaller tank of the LC 1200 models. It's too bad when they take a practical bike like this and make it less practical, probably to have a stylishly svelte tank. They already have the R9T and similar for a naked form over function bike. Oh well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
320-350km per tank not enough for you? They usually recommend a break every 2 hours, but I normally stretch that to 3 myself (in the car) but unless I was doing hyperspeed I think my bum will give out before I run out of fuel on the RLC and the new 1250 motor is meant to be more fuel efficient so should go a little more.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
While I can crank out 700 plus in a day no problem. I usually take a break/stretch every 200kish. Any more than that would be just crazy. I mean, how many new cafes would I be passing by? Our the possibility of missing out the best-ever classic country town cheese & salad sandwich. Or dare I say it, the best regional Espresso Macchiato with a little biscotti on the side (outside of Melbourne).

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
... how many new cafes would I be passing by? Our the possibility of missing out the best-ever classic country town cheese & salad sandwich. Or dare I say it, the best regional Espresso Macchiato with a little biscotti on the side (outside of Melbourne).
Sounds like you have been reading doc_dogg's diary, mikeS! He travelled the length and breadth of the countryside around the ACT in search of the perfick milk-shake, donut, whatever! Now he lives in Mildura and is sadly missed... :crying:

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
156 Posts
320-350km per tank not enough for you? They usually recommend a break every 2 hours, but I normally stretch that to 3 myself (in the car) but unless I was doing hyperspeed I think my bum will give out before I run out of fuel on the RLC and the new 1250 motor is meant to be more fuel efficient so should go a little more.
Not for commuting. I can get by with it touring, though available fuel doesn't always coincide with when you want to get off and stretch.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
The “claimed” Fuel tank size doesnt always translate into better distance. My 2007 Guzzi had a 23L tank, I’d get high 300k’s. My 2013 Tuono had a 16L Tank, it ran dry Arouind the 200 mark. My 2017 R suggests 18L and in running it in I got 350 with a stated 40k’s left till empty.

The immediately previous to LC’s look like the same 18L so it wasnt the LC that dropped in capactity? Looking at older models I see 20.5L. We might be debating over a fairly small differential given advances in fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The “claimed” Fuel tank size doesnt always translate into better distance. My 2007 Guzzi had a 23L tank, I’d get high 300k’s. My 2013 Tuono had a 16L Tank, it ran dry Arouind the 200 mark. My 2017 R suggests 18L and in running it in I got 350 with a stated 40k’s left till empty.

The immediately previous to LC’s look like the same 18L so it wasnt the LC that dropped in capactity? Looking at older models I see 20.5L. We might be debating over a fairly small differential given advances in fuel efficiency.
I've put 22 liters in my tank several times. Farthest I've gone on a tank is 470km, though I expect closer to 420km. Never heard of anything like that from a Showerhead.

Based on fuelly.com, there may have been a small improvement in fuel economy, but not enough to make up the difference,

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Fair point and that’s good mileage. My 82 LeMans has a 23L Tank and I “can” get similar mileage to you also :)

61 - 80 of 109 Posts