81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
All things considered, I think I am glad that I found an unsold Red 12R.

I am partial to red, and have been the "Beta Guy" enough already. ('77 Darma SD, '94 R1100RS, '94 916) Maybe in 4 years at the end of the model run.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Welcome to the Forum @Antonio Russell.

I hope you'll post an introduction in the New Members thread and add your location to your profile avatar and your bike history under your signature block.

Looking forward to hearing more of your adventure in aquiring a new beautiful Roadster. Ride on!

·
Registered
311 Posts
They looked to me to be the new lower /pulled further forward bars option, but I guess you were there so are much better placed to know which. The bike as shown just looks a bit more streetfighter and a bit less old git's machine somehow, but maybe the camera angle improves its looks.

To directly compare the bars try : https://build-my-bike.bmw-motorrad....l?cookie=1#/configurator/0J71/P0ND2/EQUIPMENT where you can change them at will.

·
Registered
785 Posts

I hope you'll post an introduction in the New Members thread and add your location to your profile avatar and your bike history under your signature block.
If I posted my bike history, it would cause unnecessary envy and skepticism, and it would take up a lot of pixels.
Ok, I will do it, but just this once. I am betting Desert Viper has a bigger list, though!

>'59 BMW R50
>’70 Husky 400 Cross
>'66 Honda 250 Scrambler
>'68 BSA Thunderbolt
>’71 Norton Commando
>'67 Norton Atlas
>65 BSA Thunderbolt
>'72 Norton Commando
>’72 Honda CB750
>'74 Norton Commando
>69 Kawasaki Mach3 H1
>'69 Harley Sportster
>’70 Triumph Trident T150
>'69 Yamaha Big Bear Scrambler
>’93 Honda VFR750
>'52 Vincent Rapide (Chinese Red)
>'68 BSA Lightning
>’75 Kawasaki H2 750
>'72 Suzuki750 ( Water Buffalo!)
>’75 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
>'74 Laverda 750 SFC
>'67 BSA Spitfire Mk II
>'78 Ducati Dharma 900
>'7? Hodaka 80
> ’73 Yamaha RD350
> ’69 Ducati 350 (Mono) Desmo
>’77 Yamaha RD400
>'82 Suzuki Katana ( the scary one!)
>'77 BMW R100S
>'74 Norton 850
>'67 Triumph TR6
>'91 Ducati 851
>’97 Honda Blackbird
>'92 Suzuki GSX-R 750
>'93 CBR600
>'85 Honda VF1000R
>’83 BMW R80GS
>'78 MotoGuzzi V50 Monza
>'88 Honda Hawk650
>'98 VTR1000F
>98 Ducati 916
>’07 Bonneville
>’01 CBRf4i
>’94 BMWR1100RS
>’88 Honda NX250
’>03 Yamaha R1
>’06 Yamaha FJR
>’KTM Duke 690
>’18 BMW R1200R

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
:surprise:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome to the Forum @Antonio Russell.

Looking forward to hearing more of your adventure in aquiring a new beautiful Roadster. Ride on!
Cagiva E750
Ducati ST2
Ducati 916
Aprilia RSV Mille
BMW R110RT
BMW S1000XR

·
Registered
785 Posts
Very nice list. Interesting that you categorize the Katana as "the scary one" but not the H1 :laugh2::laugh2:

But no XSessive 1100? No V-to-the-Max? No CBX? I'm shocked and appalled :wink2:
How could you have have known that ...

When I was about 15, and trying to "get into" riding, my friend Rick offered to let me ride his Mach3. I got on, tapped it into gear, twisted the throttle and it wrestled itself out from under me, did a half loop then clattered to the ground, spinning on the foot peg.
I had to pay for the repairs, of course, and suffer the comments. ???
Ironically, I was eager to buy it from him some months later.

The mighty GS1000SZ, or as I called it "Mister Katana", wasn't so twitchy, and I was an experienced rider when I acquired it. I respectfully have to say that it was "scary" because, the speedo maxed at 80 mph, but was the bike I rode from Berkeley to L.A. in a scant 5 hours, including fuel stops. It did not encourage self control, quite the opposite.
Lovely bike, though.

The CBX never looked like a bike I could manage, it looked huge, so I never gave them much thought. The big Yammies you mention didn't look sporty or something. I was drawn to racy-ish bikes, but often bought bikes out of pity for them, bikes whose owners had left them in a backyard to rust, or had "dumped" and were therefore giving up "those dam things".

My 1st wife, "You never met a motorcycle you didn't buy." She was on to something, as the garage filled up to 11 bikes during our marriage. At the divorce meeting with our lawyers she said, "I have no interest in his bikes, tools and barn full of parts".

But I did like the VMax motor, and thought it would be great if it could be stuffed in to a feather bed frame, with a nicely sorted suspension. My Water Buffalo was purchased for that exact purpose, but I ran out of money trying to make it a reality. Too bad, since I recently saw a "cafe-ed" Buffalo, and spent a good 15 minutes looking it over, hoping the owner would return, but he never did.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
My comments were a bit tongue-in-cheek :wink2:

I have similar memories of the H1 and it's habit of insisting on riding on one wheel. I used to get 'chastised' regularly by the local constabulary, although never ticketed on it. I was a bit older at 21 or so, so never looped it, but I sure used to have fun with it. A friend of mine had a CBX that he let me ride a couple of times. I don't recall it being too big (I'm only about 5'9). But the sound of that thing at WOT was exhilarating to say the least. Very F1.

·
Registered
785 Posts
That is stunning, to say the least. It was that motor that looked Big to me. Really, big. I even wondered how it could possibly be balanced. At 5'7" there are a lot of bikes that look too big, though, even some of the ones I acquired and rode for years. The VF1000R, a notable example.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts