BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are now rumours out there that BMW is working on a new fully water-cooled boxer engine with a capacity of 1300cc.

The current boxer engine is air/water cooled. A possible R1300GS test bike has been spotted with fully shrouded cylinders and two radiators.

BMW R1300GS: New test mules and trademarks point towards new engine

Presumably the R1300R would follow.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Motorad's 100th Birthday will be 2023. Hope to see some interesting models come out.

My only Harley was a 2003 100th Anniversary Road King, maybe should have kept it as a cool stablemate for a 2023 100th Anniversary BMW XXXXXX.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
2007 R1200R
7 Posts
I have the 90th R1200RT I bought brand new and I've been holding out for the 100th edition. However, they've made the new RTs so porky that I may switch to an R1200R. I'm excited if they can roll out the 1300 that fast, but of course I worry about what problems it might have.

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
216 Posts
Interesting news. So only 9 more engine size changes before they hit the R18.

Blindingly obvious, but avoid buying a mk 1 of anything. Or indeed a "final" future proof version of anything. Look at the "final version of Windows", 10, and what has just been released as a beta version? 11. These large companies lie and lie all the time.

Anyway, I would not trust BMW Motorrad to produce a reliable fault free motorcycle. Their track record over the past 5 or 10 years says it all. Poor quality control. They build their motorcycles up to a price that they feel the consumer can finance.

However, I still like my 2011 Classic, for all it's minor flaws (fuel strip 😀).

Buy used motorcycles. There are some well-maintained reliable bikes around.

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blindingly obvious, but avoid buying a mk 1 of anything. Or indeed a "final" future proof version of anything. Look at the "final version of Windows", 10, and what has just been released as a beta version? 11. These large companies lie and lie all the time.
I was quite happy to buy the mk1 R1250R, after all the motor had already been well tested in the GS launched some 18 months or so earlier.

And in case the R1250R was an evolution of the R1200R, and quite possibly the R1300R will be an evolution of the R1250R. So pretty much tried and tested. In any case If this rumour is correct, well, we'll have to wait again for the update on the R.

Anyway, I would not trust BMW Motorrad to produce a reliable fault free motorcycle. Their track record over the past 5 or 10 years says it all. Poor quality control. They build their motorcycles up to a price that they feel the consumer can finance.
What gets me is that the main issue with the LC/air cooled boxer is the shaft drive! And it is more the lack of customer service that worries me. Folks seem to do so much better in the USA, NZ etc than we do across the UK when things go wrong.

Buy used motorcycles. There are some well-maintained reliable bikes around.
I found it cheaper to buy a used R1250R, all the used ones were loaded with what are IMHO gimmicks, gimmicks which the dealers think and insist add value to the bike. And bikes generally hold their value so well it can make sense to buy new. And if nobody buys the new bikes……………

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
With my first edition LC, I’m starting to feel like an old hex-head or cam-head owner.

As good as the 1250 is, it doesn’t attract me, and likely the 1300 will be the same.

Reactions: Tigcraft and mikeS

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As good as the 1250 is, it doesn’t attract me, and likely the 1300 will be the same.
I wouldn’t have considered the 1200, but the 1250 moved the game on a bit, and yeah if it appears I might just be interested in trading up to the 1300 (if the rumour is correct), that is if there are further significant improvements.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
How much more powah they gonna make with 50 cc. When I was shopping for a bike, the BMW dealer claimed that the new boxer engines could make a lot more power. Maybe with all water cooling they will.

·
Super Moderator
3,089 Posts
The only update that would encourage me to swap out my 1200RLC if BMW managed to drop a significant amount of weight. My ‘17 LC pretty much does everything I ask of it and I most certainly can’t outride the bikes handling or performance. Although the new TFT screen looks nice but not enough reason for an update to my LC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I wouldn’t mind 165 hp, if only for the straights. My objective in going to the BMW dealer was the S1000R but fortunately, they didn’t have a new one in stock.

·
Banned
231 Posts
On the topic of new models, the current s1000rr has some epic issues. Touch wood but I've been pretty lucky with most bikes I've owned.

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn’t mind 165 hp, if only for the straights. My objective in going to the BMW dealer was the S1000R but fortunately, they didn’t have a new one in stock.
One thing about BMW is that their quoted figures seem to be pretty honest. SC Project got 133.2BHP from a standard R1250R and 100lbs torque.

When I was in the Glasgow dealer, they had a few of the latest S1000R’s in.

I didn’t try the previous model the other year when I was shopping for a new bike as you can’t fit a proper top box to it.

I did try an MT10 which will take a full set of luggage if desired. Looking at figures and dyno graphs I didn’t think it would be that much quicker than my lightly modified FZS1000, but it was. Perhaps the lower gearing accounts for a bit of its extra get up and go, but it was overall pretty darn aggressive. I was put off by its tendency to wheelie everywhere and its excessive fuel consumption (short range).

But yeah I’d expect the S1000R to be similar Dougl, very aggressive whereas the R1250R is quick but civilised.

I did find that for me the MT10 has a really nice riding position. The new S1000R in the showroom was nice other than the silly way too high (for me anyway) pegs. It is very much a naked sports bike.

You gonna try one? Would be interesting to hear what you think after a test ride.

·
Banned
231 Posts
1st gear redline and you're already breaking the speed limit. Fun, but you can't use it often if the popo are around.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
1st gear redline and you're already breaking the speed limit. Fun, but you can't use it often if the popo are around.
The riding position on the RS was too aggressive for me so the S1000R wouldn’t have worked. The riding position on the R is about as bent as I can handle.

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1st gear redline and you're already breaking the speed limit. Fun, but you can't use it often if the popo are around.n’t
I personally would try ringing its neck in 1st or 2nd gear, and in any case most modern bikes limit the power O/P in 1st and 2nd gear.

The riding position on the RS was too aggressive for me so the S1000R wouldn’t have worked. The riding position on the R is about as bent as I can handle.
Ah sorry, I thought you were interested in trying one. I thought about trying the RS but just sitting in the showroom I didn’t care for the slightly different riding position – just a wee bit of a lean forward.

I didn’t feel that with the S1000R, the bars are pretty upright and don’t feel forward at all, what I did notice was the pegs, they feel every bit as high as a full on sports bike.

It will be a lot quicker, never mind the extra power etc, - it is a good 50kg lighter than the R1250R. It'll fly.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I personally would try ringing its neck in 1st or 2nd gear, and in any case most modern bikes limit the power O/P in 1st and 2nd gear.

Ah sorry, I thought you were interested in trying one. I thought about trying the RS but just sitting in the showroom I didn’t care for the slightly different riding position – just a wee bit of a lean forward.

I didn’t feel that with the S1000R, the bars are pretty upright and don’t feel forward at all, what I did notice was the pegs, they feel every bit as high as a full on sports bike.

It will be a lot quicker, never mind the extra power etc, - it is a good 50kg lighter than the R1250R. It'll fly.
I didn’t get the chance to try an S1000R as there were none available at the time. I recently sat on an S1000xr. I took my boots off so as not to scratch it. It was a bit high for me (33”) in my stocking feet and I didn’t even stand it up for fear of slipping and dropping it on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
456 Posts
I just got the email about the 2022 S1000R and I'm thinking of taking a test ride when it's available. If a R1300R could blow my socks off I'd sure look at that too. I think I'm who they are marketing to, middle aged, enough income/credit to ride what I want, and I like toys and HP. If it's got problems a 3 year warranty let's me dump it before it can bury me.

136HP from 1252cc isn't terrible, but we all know they can find 160+HP if they look hard enough. Hopefully they can figure out how to design, build and lube a shaft drive system by then. Even Ural can build a driveshaft.

If you're planning to buy used they aren't designing for you, just realistically they can only be expected to design for people buying new.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
I just got the email about the 2022 S1000R and I'm thinking of taking a test ride when it's available.
I’d be trying the all-new Triumph Speed Triple too - 132kW, 125Nm and 196kg. 👌

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
456 Posts
I’d be trying the all-new Triumph Speed Triple too - 132kW, 125Nm and 196kg. 👌
Indeed I nearly bought the first gen I think they called it T509, but the leg room is worse than the R, and I am holding a bit of a grudge for all the union jack waving on an Asian made bike. Love many Asian bikes mind you, but don't try to slap me around with your union jack and "patriotism" after laying everyone off and moving to Thailand. Still, nice equipment and impressive sounding numbers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts