BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Indeed, I nearly bought the first gen I think they called it T509, but the leg room is worse than the R, and I am holding a bit of a grudge for all the union jack waving on an Asian made bike. Love many Asian bikes mind you, but don't try to slap me around with your union jack and "patriotism" after laying everyone off and moving to Thailand. Still, nice equipment and impressive sounding numbers.
The original Hinckley Speed Triple was the T300 launched in 1994, and still, if you ask me, the best looking.

The latest one, according to some of the reviews I’ve seen is very much a track day bike that you can ride on the road. It is one very focused motorcycle. Personally, I get the feeling that ‘nakeds’ or at least the ‘super nakeds’ have become much the same as the sports bikes that they were supposed to be the useable alternative to – ie irrelevant.

At least BMW with the S1000R have recognised this, to some extent anyway, and clearly decided not to chase Ducati’s pointless 200BHP Street Fighter.

Will be interesting to see how Yamaha’s MT10 evolves. It is the one ‘super naked’ that is also a fully rounded and practicable day to day road bike, though its thirst leaves it with a worryingly short range.

Union flag? I’m still stuck with it here.:mad:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Where will the displacement race take us? Nowhere, lake a dog chasing it's tail. My '11 Classic is the sweet spot for me. ESA, ASC, ABS, 88 ft. lbs. and dripping with style.

More money, more to break and diminishing returns after that

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Where will the displacement race take us? Nowhere, lake a dog chasing it's tail. My '11 Classic is the sweet spot for me. ESA, ASC, ABS, 88 ft. lbs. and dripping with style.

More money, more to break and diminishing returns after that
One of the reasons bike engines have been increasing in size is because increased capacity ironically makes it easier to meet ever stricter emissions regulations.

I’m not really that interested in the gadgets, though can’t argue against ABS. I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for the weirdness of the boxer engine, and finally with the styling of the LC and the power of the 1250 its become a bike I actually went out and bought!

1300 boxer, an R1300R, bring it on, lets see what BMW do.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
Where will the displacement race take us?
It's the same throughout the automotive industry - build something 'better' than the previous model in order to make your product more attractive compared to the opposition. Production racing categories used to set particular capacity boundaries, but they're not as relevant anymore..

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
768 Posts
There are now rumours out there that BMW is working on a new fully water-cooled boxer engine with a capacity of 1300cc.

The current boxer engine is air/water cooled. A possible R1300GS test bike has been spotted with fully shrouded cylinders and two radiators.

BMW R1300GS: New test mules and trademarks point towards new engine

Presumably the R1300R would follow.
Since BMW does a full model update every 4 years, we ought to see really new stuff in 2023, right after they fully sort out the 2019-2022 models. :)
And....
That's why I am gearing up to get a 22 R Bike....and it might just be an RS this time. My neck isn't getting any younger, so a little "actual wind protection" would be nice....and I like the "light white" a bit more than the green metallic sauerkraut color of the last 2 model years.

Chucking the Brembo brakes might be something I am unable to accept, though. Any other brake system is a Step Down. WTAF is wrong with BMW?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wish they'd do a crossover with the boxer engine, like the new Moto Guzzi V100; I would be interested, moreover the RS did not sell that well.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
What's a crossover?
I guess this term is used only in Europe? Anyways bikes that have a higher riding position but they are road only, for example: Yamaha Tracer 7 and 9, MV Augusta Turismo Veloce and the already mentioned Guzzi V100. Several years ago Yamaha manufactured the TDM (850 and 900). The one crossover from BMW is the BMW S1000XR where I believe XR stands for crossover

21 - 29 of 29 Posts