BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been offered a 3-hour loan of an R18 from the local BMW Motorrad dealer, which of course I will take up.

Before I make up my own mind, I would appreciate comments from those who have ridden on one, on things to look out for - such as any quirks at various speeds, handing issues, niceties etc

For those who haven't ridden one, any questions you want answered?

Reactions: GenlJuba

Registered
I want to know how awesome the torque effect of that lovely engine is when giving it a twist of the throttle when at stand still? 馃榿 (talk about asking a leading question)

On a more serious note, how the bend at the knee is feeling after a 3 hour ride? From marketing material, the knee bend looks similar to a Hartley Davidson Sportster Nightster (without forward pegs) I had, and my experience was that after a hour I had the need to stretch my legs.

Registered
2012 R1200R
I got out on a 20 minute test ride a few weeks ago and I'd have to say I didn't love it. The engine is potent, it pumped out plenty of torque, but it also pumped a little more vibes than I like. Slow speed handling was cumbersome, probably due to it's massive wheelbase, but better at speed. I also remember the throttle being herky- jerky or on-off, but maybe I was in a sport mode, not sure. My buddy took one out as well and other than the low speed handling, liked it more than I did. Just my quick opinion on a short ride, your opinion is the one that matters.

On a side note, we rode the bikes at Laconia Bike Week. we've been doing the demo rides there for 20 years, myself 30+ years, and typically take out a handful of bikes - HD, Indian, Victory, Yamaha, Aprilia, Ducati, KTM, Triumph, etc and a few bikes have been stand outs. The most impressive for both of us was the the Moto Guzzi 1400 - Auduce, California, and Eldorado, we rode all three. We had never ridden a Guzzi and weren't expecting the refinement it had - superb handling, brakes, power, suspension, and a smooth motor. Hands down the best cruiser we've ever ridden, other than the seat on the Cali, I couldn't find anything I didn't love about. Sorry to get off topic.

Registered
I have been offered a 3-hour loan of an R18 from the local BMW Motorrad dealer, which of course I will take up.

Before I make up my own mind, I would appreciate comments from those who have ridden on one, on things to look out for - such as any quirks at various speeds, handing issues, niceties etc

For those who haven't ridden one, any questions you want answered?
I tested the 18 twice on a demo day group ride for about 30 min; I currently ride a '16 R1200RS. I have no experience riding this or any other large cruiser, so it was a big change. That said, the motor's mass generates substantial frame twist (my words) whenever you blip the throttle, but not so much on gradual roll-on. I later learned from the demo team that blipping during downshifting is not necessary (turned out to be true) and when I stopped doing so, experienced the twisting much less frequently. Heavy bike but exciting to ride. Carefully examine the foot peg/shifter configuration . . . it seemed cramped up against that big cylinder. Sweet spot for RPM's seemed to be in the 2500-3000 area. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for feedback - test ride cancelled.

In typical BMW arrogance, they wanted me to wear a $5000 excess for any damage caused. I have never damaged a bike but think that sort of excess is ridiculous! I am thinking of trading by Striple on another bike so their loss. Will probably consider another Triumph.

Reactions: SteveJH

Registered

In typical BMW arrogance, they wanted me to wear a $5000 excess for any damage caused. I have never damaged a bike but think that sort of excess is ridiculous! I am thinking of trading by Striple on another bike so their loss. Will probably consider another Triumph.
It's 拢2000 in the UK. I suppose that means you will only test bikes you are very seriously considering. I have bought bikes that I hadn't really taken seriously before the test ride, so this could be the dealer's loss.

Registered
At my BMW dealer it is 拢500. The only time I came across 拢2000 excess was testing a Triumph 20 years ago.

Banned

That's the dealer insurance company's policy (plus probably 50% tacked on by the dealer)
Nothing to do with bmw.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the dealer insurance company's policy (plus probably 50% tacked on by the dealer)
Nothing to do with bmw.
Not true - exact word from my dealer "As this is an event run by BMW Australia, the excess is determined by BMW Australia not Auto Classic.
Subsequently, we're not able to offer an excess reduction."

Registered
Not true - exact word from my dealer "As this is an event run by BMW Australia, the excess is determined by BMW Australia not Auto Classic.
Subsequently, we're not able to offer an excess reduction."
Feel sorry for you Aussies. BMW USA sends a large truck around the country to dealers for 2-day demo rides. The truck has most of the product line it. Cost to test riders is zilch. I have 2 Motorad dealers equidistant from my home (about 65mi.) and I went to both demo days; rode the R18 on one day, and the F850 the other. It's cool to see how they all differ from my '16 RS.

Mark 鈥 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
Cost to test riders is zilch.
Cost to Aussie test riders is also zilch - unless you break it 鈥

I recall BMW Oz has in the past also had a travelling demo fleet for a new range, but haven鈥檛 seen one for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts