BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For quite some time I've been thinking about and looking for rain'/splash resistant covers for radar detectors and other non-waterproof electronic toys. The options seem to be either a huge fugly black box for about $100, or ziplock bags.

Ideally, you want something that works and looks decent enough to leave in place, and for a reasonable price.

The attached photo shows a V1 cover from New Zealand. I think there was a place in the US that had them for a while, but I haven't seen them or anything similar for a long time.

Cutting a long story short, I was thinking of making a range of covers for just about anything anyone wanted (RDs, two way radios, phones, whatever) using a vacuum forming system. They'd look similar to, but hopefully better than, the NZ version.

Covers would have to be reasonably effective (rain resistant but not fully waterproof), and would have to look presentable. I don't like putting ugly crap on my bikes & don't suppose anyone else does either. I know - as motorcyclists, we are a notoriously cheap bunch, so most people will go for a zip lock bag or stuff the RD in a pannier or wherever ;)

My question is: would there be any interest in these covers? I think they'd be about $40.

Thoughts, anyone?

BTW, this is in the very early stages of thinking about it. Nothing has been designed yet, there's nothing you can order, nothing for sale - pure market research.

In the photo, the hole you can see is in the bottom for the wire, not the top...

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
I would say a marine wire gland could allow a water proof wire passthrough on any surface for not much money.

Many/most might go for a ziploc, unless or until their buddy's looks cooler with a nice case. . .

How many units till break even would be the big question. Maybe you can be the Otterbox of cycle electronics.

I suspect K1600/Wing riders would pay real money for something that integrated into or with the fairing for that stuff. And everybody knows HD stands for Hundred Dollar, nothing is too small not to be $100 for them.

If you can turn out a consistent, crisp looking product I think you would find more profit if they served a specific device for each part number.

Sounds like a winner to me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I second the Honda 'wing crowd - I would contact WingStop in San Diego to see if they would be interested in carrying them...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At this point I'm trying to get a feel for individual's opinions before thinking about something that shops might stock.

Probably thinking too small but thanks for the suggestion although that might be a loooong way down the road.

JtL

·
Registered
397 Posts
If I had anything that needed it I'd be interested, but my phone is ip-67, and that's all i have out...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like you, my phone is water resistant. More than phones, it's more for radar detectors, the best of which are not remotely water resistant.

Btw, be careful with the phone - IP67 is only water pressure at 5ft, which isn't much. Direct, not incidental, rain at 50 mph is a whole different ball game!

Don't know how accurate this is - too lazy and not sufficiently interested to follow up in detail - but I understand that the reason many watches use 200ft as a reasonable rating for water resistance is that 200ft is about equivalent to a good mains-pressure shower.

For the pendantic, I understand that there is only one make of watch that can legally be called waterproof - thanks to the wording of it's IP protections - all others, no matter how competent, have to be called water resistant.

JtL

·
Registered
397 Posts
Btw, be careful with the phone - IP67 is only water pressure at 5ft, which isn't much. Direct, not incidental, rain at 50 mph is a whole different ball game!
JtL
Mine is in the gps cradle, behind a windshield... no worries here...
Love my Samsung...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
sorry, no interest from me. I just use a shower cap that is frequently in the soap basket in motels. I don't use my V1 anymore on the bike, but when I did I just wrapped up the unti in the shower cap and replaced it as needed with the next free one. I certainly ride in the rain, but not often enough to buy a specialty item. the shower cap is waterproof and I can adjust knobs as needed easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts