BMW R1200R Forum banner

Rare find 2016 BUT!

5K views 54 replies 19 participants last post by  tpoppa 
#1 ·
So Alphacars out of Boxborough has a 2016 Style 1 in pristine conditions with only 246 miles on the clock. They are asking $15,795 and firm on that price. I have 2 locally that I contemplated buying but discarded the idea as one is plain jane and the other with 34k miles, is above my threshold for miles.

I'm on the fence when it comes to the price? This is the color I want and the bike is almost new, however, the price is steep. It has been parked for a long time as my buddy up in NY saw it 8 months ago. I ran the VIN it has everything except panniers.

For those who bought new and had style 1, is this a fair price?

2016 BMW R1200R

See less See more
#2 ·
That's what I paid for my white & red '16 with about $6K in farkles, 5K miles, five years ago.

Red frames are the fastest but that's still a high price. Unless you really want it - current color options seem blah to me.

#4 ·
According to the person I spoke to at the dealer, the owner did in fact had it serviced? Now without actual proof from the dealer in writing, I would have to take the salesperson's word on that.

Their video on Youtube is 9 months old so it's safe to say that it has been at the dealer at least a year. They sell classic European cars as well as motorcycles so during all this time nobody has taken the bait. I ran into it while on eBay and it up for $15,795 or best price.

#9 ·
So hard to get a handle on the post-Covid market, seems like it's all over the place, but If it's been there at that price for 8 months, its overpriced. The question is, are you willing to pay too much to get exactly what you want right now? I looked off and on for a year and I didn't notice any obvious price difference depending on color. Some people want grey, some want red, prices seem similar to me.

Others out there:

Certainly better deals are around if you're willing to travel or if you're willing to wait. If not, you can get it now if you pay the price.

The low miles are a mixed blessing, as Dougl pointed out. I'm riding out the last few miles on my (new to me) 2017 with original tires, no issues so far, but they should be replaced even with only 247 miles.

#13 ·
I saw and sat on this bike at Alphacars last October or November, I also was amazed at the mileage. I also think a bike with extremely low miles can be a mixed blessing, lots of little problems can develop from sitting. Personally, I may feel more comfortable with the bike with 34K miles if the price/features are right, two of my three bikes have 6 digits on the odometer and are ridden regularly as when new.

If you do decide to go with this bike and need any assistance I'd be happy to help, the dealer is less than an hour away.

#15 ·
When I did a search for a new 2022 R1250R I found several for $17,200 and one for $16,500.
Here's a demo with 218 miles for $15,120

#16 ·
OK, I've got a white 2015 that's loaded to the gunnels with extras (Corbin, Akropovic complete exhaust, lowered pegs, raised bars, touring shield, driving lights, etc). Its got 23k, and just came back from a 949-mile ride. I'm in Henderson, NV and would part with it for $9.5 k.

#20 ·
Very high price, but:

1). You indicate that "This is the color I want " -- some may scoff, but, for me, that goes a long way...when it comes to the purchase of what is for most of us a toy, a hobby, rationality shouldn't override the gut...if you can afford it and the color scheme makes you happier, prouder, than any other year, get it. You'll never regret buying exactly what you want.

2). By buying used, you will escape the freight and setup charges of a new bike, charges that these (still somewhat sellers'-market) days can run over $1000 on top of everything else. That said, though, you do lose the OEM warranty. Is three years of peace of mind worth $1000...?

Good luck in your decision. As someone who has ridden both models, I will say the 1250 engine is a great deal more fun, notably so...not that the 1200 is a slouch -- on the contrary, it's only 50ccs, after all -- but that Shift-Cam technology just takes power delivery to a new level all across the rev range. Nice thing is, though, when deciding between the 1200R and 1250R, you inherently can't make a bad decision.

#28 ·
I have the same bag and that's how I would set it up besides a small windscreen with a Wunderlich wind deflector. I found 2 blue R12's at driving distance from my place with reasonable milage BUT,,,, the blue I like comes from the 2023 color scheme.

#26 ·
As others have pointed out, a 6-year-old bike with a few hundred miles may look like new, but it is in no way new. I think that price is way too high. If you like the color, make them an offer, but I would say it's worth at least a few thousand $ less than asking. If you want to make an argument, mention the old tires, the likely way-old brake fluid, which might have even done some damage if it has been sitting in there that long (definitely look in the reservoir), the possibly dried out seals, etc.

Reactions: v-rider
#27 ·
I made an equitable offer through eBay and the counter offer was $100 less than the asking price:mad:.. They could've made a realistic counter offer of perhaps $1500 less and then real negotiations would have started. A seller actually called me and we had a conversation and it was obvious to me, that they think they are holding BMW's golden bike. They are holding out for a buyer that's willing to pay retail for a used bike.

I found a 2020 with around 1600 miles and everything but panniers and the actual BMW IV Garmin Nav. The price is $13k and I can actually drive to where it is. I like the White color scheme of the 20 model so it will suffice my superficial eye :love:

#32 ·
This dealer is about 4 hours from my house so I do have the option of riding before buying. I'm not much of bag person (panniers) since the most I usually ride in one day is less than 700 miles. As far as the BMW Garmin nav, I rather get the BMW Connected Ride Cradle and use my phone.

In Florida, most dealers are out for money. After Covid, they started hoarding inventory and jacking prices. They will hold out for the right buyer because they already made a lot of money. The other crazy thing down here that's unregulated is dealer's fee. It could be $399 to $1299. They always charge you tire disposal fee and dealer prep fee/doc fee.

I'm not in a hurry. This will be my first boxer engine.

#33 ·
This is outside of Ann Arbor Michigan, a long way from you, and seller says he won't help ship, but just for reference, take a look. 2020 model with 169 miles on it, similar colors to what you said you like:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

#34 ·
The tire lifetime can be circumvented under the right conditions. I bought a 2009 Buell Lightning XB12SCG that was setting on a gentlemen's (older guy, 72) garage for over 10 years. It had 10 miles with original everything. I bought it sight unseen from eBay Motors. I wrote that hell out of it and put in about 1200 miles. When I sold it, it had that same set of tires and the guy who bought it from me wrote it from Florida to Colorado.

This gentlemen's garage was temperature controlled and he had 8 other different bikes collecting dust. One of them was a Ducati Paso 750 Desmo, still with original tires.

#38 ·
I sold a Triumph Thunderbird 1700 to a guy in Canada. He suggested that I bring it to my dealer to have it checked out at his expense. He arranged it. My dealer was reputable and did this kind of thing regularly. So he bought the bike. Fortunately for him, he had a relative who lived near me. She met me at the bank and forked over the money. I gave her the title and parked the bike in her garage. She gave me a lift home.