BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The R1200R is supposed to be a standard motorcycle, but the rear seat position looks to me like it would just be ungodly uncomfortable for a woman of average build.

What has been your experience with carrying a passenger?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think there are a couple of different seats out there. There are definitely "comfort" seats and "sport" seats and I think the classic came with a comfort seat and the others came with a sport seat. The back part on my classic is definitely pretty flat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
The Classic's (2012) seat is wide and flat. It's not what I'd call a violation of the Geneva Convention, but a little Bonneville's "King and Queen" seat's got it beat for miles in comfort.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I think you'd have to look for a 3rd Party Seat to really do better than the boards BMW provides you with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My classic came with the high comfort seat and my lady says she's ridden worse. You'd think for whatthey cost, you'd get more, but for another $400 and change you can try lots of differnt combinations until you getthe right one I guess.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
The comfort seat is not a custom seat; one could not reasonably expect the seat on a new bike from the factory to be customized to the individual pushasers' specifications. As a stock seat, short of some touring bike' pillions, it is as comfortable for a pillion as any seat sold as OEM IMHO. i rented Bonnies to travel the roads of California wth my son last year. The bikes were much nicer than I had expected; their biggest shortcoming was that the seats were good for an hour and a half before the pain made continuing unbearable for the one up rider. The pillion could not have been any better-we were lucky not to have passengers on our bikes because we needed the pillions to slide back on in order to ease the discomfort of the seats a bit. Try a Duc streetfighter's seat for say 20 minutes before you register any complaint about the r12r's lack af a comfortable seat.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I took a short jaunt with my now wife about a half hour away and she won't get on it anymore. She complained about the seat, but made the comment it was better than the last bike she rode (3 bikes ago) my 06 zx6r. I prefer one up riding and told her if she wanted, we would get her a bike. So that is my solution to the uncomfortable rear seat. Any reputable upholsterer should be able to take apart your seat and add gel pads or whatever else you find necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I have the same problem, and like Classic, I have offered to get a new bike for her, but I'm afraid I'll end up without wife, she is not the best driving/riding/skating/rollerblading/snowboarding............ you get the idea.

While I wait for the 4 wheel scooter to arrive to the estates, I found that so far the best solution is an air seat.

Still complain but we managed a trip from Brooklyn to Montauk and back to Brooklyn in one day, that's 250 miles, I'll call it a success. :goodjob:

Take a look in here:http://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw-r1200r-general-discussions-7/air-seat-903/

DrDave has something similar, here: http://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw-r1200r-general-discussions-7/freedom-air-sport-seat-cushion-1123/

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've got a sargent saddle and I've yet to have a woman complain about the seat. Granted one was my wife who has done two 400 mile days with me, and the other is a friend that's done several 2-3 hour rides with me. Their body types are very, very different and while everyone I know loves my Sargent Saddle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just for the record

I wasn't compailning about my high comfort and the wife has only ridden for a couple hours at a time max. Also if she says she's ridden worse that means its the best one so far. If anything, I'm looking for a sport saddle to use when her ocmfort is not a factor. The high comfort has a bit of a comfy sofa feel to me and is not really perfect for the "semi agressive" way I ride it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My girlfriend (100 lbs soaking wet) complains after about 30 minutes. I sat on it one day while she was practicing on my friend's scooter and after a few minutes my butt started go numb...the padding is too soft! I've been talking to my dealer and they're going to get me a Bill Mayer Custom seat. Probably not until the fall though, once I've got the money saved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Wife also complained about the standard seat.

I bought a Corban seat and both her and I are loving it. It is way more comfortable than the standard one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got a sargent saddle and I've yet to have a woman complain about the seat... ...everyone I know loves my Sargent Saddle.
Same. Mrs. Moo says the Sargent on the R12R is a much better (backseat) ride than the Goldwing GL1800.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
got a link to go with that? :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
My passenger has ridden with me on an RT for 3 years. She says the R is as comfortable but not as much room. She doesn't like the wind on the R. I am still trying to fix that. I think I have the high comfort seat and a parabellum screen.

On the RT Neither one of us like the heated corbin its too much like a saddle.

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts