BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Greeting to All, i am new to this forum but i badly need advice. i realized that my rear suspension lower mud guard is rubbing against the swing arm. After some visual check, i found that the suspension actuator cover is leaving a gap between the coil spring, sign of rubber/wax material wearing off and the lower mud guard is in contact with the arm. I had no issue with the electronics damping adjustment, shock is able to raise and lower but the that the coil spring is not reacting to the adjustment. i suspect the top portion of the shock is worn. I will like to replace with Wilber WESA 644 and understand that the current actuator with be transferred to the new shock. I having doubt if the issue will be resolved as i do not know which is the component that will be transferred to the new shock. Please kindly advice. The attached p
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Leg Automotive lighting
icture for reference.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I can't tell you what's wrong but both of those pictures are worrysome. If it was my bike the shock would already be out of the bike and I'd be on the phone to the local Wilbers rep because I sure wouldn't ride it like that.

NOTE: before removing the factory shock use the handlebar controls to set both preload and damping to the minimum settings.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,412 Posts
The bottom guard doesn't seem to be problematic – it normally has minimal clearance and is mounted to the lower part of the shock, under the spring.

The top is curious though as the spring mount cover is normally flush with the ESA drive unit and I would have expected it to be held in place by the spring. I can't imagine what the deteriorating material is between the cover and ESA drive, but I would not expect that to be critical – I expect Wilbers would see it as a 'consumable'. Both the drive unit and the spring cover would seem to be re-used by Wilbers, judging by their catalogue photo. I've included some photos below of my 1200 LC ESA for reference.

What is more concerning is that you say the spring preload doesn't respond. Are you making the preload adjustment with the engine running and the bike stationary? Only damping adjustment between Road and Dynamic can be adjusted on the fly. I'd expect the bike to register an ESA fault if it wasn't responding properly.

Camera accessory Font Cameras & optics Audio equipment Liquid

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

1 - 5 of 5 Posts