BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen here, but cannot locate it, some information on how to remove the small curved cowling that sits above the R’s headlight and slopes backwards to run under the instrument housings.

I need to remove this (then replace it) in order to access and remove the OE screen bracket when fitting the Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing that rumour has it will be delivered to me some time this year by a very slow Nippy Normans in the UK.

If someone can tell me how to achieve this I’d be very grateful (or point me in the direction of earlier posts).

The fairing will be spray-painted to match the bike, and pix will be posted.

What WON’T be posted are words to the effect that "I have just added another farkle to the bike and she is looking great!". Aaarrrggghhhhh!

Lawrence of Suburbia

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just four (4) hours or so after posting this I received an e-mail from Nippys telling me that at long last - over seven (7) weeks after ordering it - my Wunderlich Trophy fairing has been despatched! Should be here in under ten (10) days...

L of S

·
Registered
743 Posts
I think the cowling snaps into 4 grommets. I don't think there are fastners. I'm sure about the grommets, but would double check about any machine screws.

·
Registered
597 Posts
L of S,

I think 1200bc is correct. Here's the parts diagram:

The piece I think you're asking about is #9, which appears to be mounted by four of item #2 "grommet." The shape of #2 looks like rubber to me. I'd try wiggling and pulling the bigger piece directly upward, and see if it comes free.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Took the time to check my expensive service CD. It says "remove cover". The picture is just as helpful, it's the same view as standing there looking at the top of it. Glad I took the time.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, fellows - although the screen is still fitted I was able to do a trial 'wiggle' and indeed the cowl appears to be mounted solely on four (4) x small moulded-in plugs that snap into the rubber grommets. It came off - partially - and went back very easily.

Appreciate your help! Now just awaiting the fairing from Nippys.

L of S

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi LoS, you are right, they are mounted with 4 clip plugs, to remove just carefully pull the screen out and to re-install snap it in back.

Thanks, fellows - although the screen is still fitted I was able to do a trial 'wiggle' and indeed the cowl appears to be mounted solely on four (4) x small moulded-in plugs that snap into the rubber grommets. It came off - partially - and went back very easily.

Appreciate your help! Now just awaiting the fairing from Nippys.

L of S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts