BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the full exhaust system by Remus and the K&N air filter, the only original part that remained in the system is the flapper but still get a nice throaty sound on idle and low RPM.

Besides the notorious gain in performance and sound the Remus headers matches the gold and brass details of my 90th anniversary edition. They are titanium colored before installation but once installed and heated they started to turn gold.

The bike changed considerably, now it has what I felt was lacking before: more responsiveness and real motorcycle sound.

Video: HERE

Pictures: at the Photo Gallery

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds boomingly good! Have you had time to get the bike on the dyno yet?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
That looks better then the original one for sure, and I'm glad you like your bike's behavior more then before.

It's still to big for my taste tho.

I will love to have a shorter one that shows the nice wheel and single sided arm, but after much research and experiments, this makes me almost as happy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks, unfortunately I don't think there is a single dyno in this country
Ok. Well, since the cat is no longer present I'm guessing +15hp at least, so it must feel much livelier! :001_cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
"Well, since the cat is no longer present I'm guessing +15hp at least,"
Optimistic?

http://www.bmwurbanriders.com/profil...xhaust-upgrade
The slip-on alone gives about 1-2hp but the full system with the right set up will bring a strong power gain. The cat is the main problem. I put a full Akrapovic system on my KTM Superduke and fitted a power commander. Result, +17hp at the back wheel. :devil2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Info on the Remus headers from Wunderlich.
+5db is quite a lot. Earplugs are propably useful... :D

javascript:Wunderlich REMUS Performance Header

The original header pipes are the greatest obstacle to a better performance. We went into meticulous, even pernickety detail to ensure that diameter, pipe length, gas flow and transitions were all in perfect harmony.

The facts:

• Performance increase up to 14 bhp (with PerformanceController).
  • Significantly higher and more harmonious torque.
  • Enormous weight saving (manages without interference pipe and front silencer).
  • More powerful sound (approx. 5 dB (A) more).
  • Optimised pipe routing.
  • With Lambda sensor connection.
  • Easy to fit.
  • Extremely sturdy system made of V4A.
  • Compatible with all exhaust silencers.
Without TÜV and catalytic converter. Only suitable for sports use.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great! I've been considering Remus or Akrapovic, but can't decide between the two. Hope to hear more!
In my experience Remus exhausts have a more round and bass sound than Akrapovic which sound more sporty and highpitched. My previous experience with Remus full system on my R1100R was decisive also because a friend of mine bought an Akra for his 90th anniversary and I don't want the two bikes to be identical.

I'll post more sounds and as soon as my friend has his bike I will post the Akra's sound so you could decide.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+5db is quite a lot. Earplugs are propably useful... :D
I think 5dB more than 0dB is just right :p

• Performance increase up to 14 bhp (with PerformanceController).
Unfortunately I'm not able to test bhp increases. Instead of the PerformanceController or a PowerCommander I bought a BoosterPlug which is cheaper, easier to install and does not require to be set. As reported on another thread I will post my results when installed, I think it is a must since the bike is hesitating when accelarting at low RPM, I feel I do not have all the ponies available when required...

I have not been able to test the Remus at higher RPM since I have only being commuting but I expect to test it on the road soon.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I actually really like the look of that longer remus you have on there. I hate the look of the short ones and have been looking for something that is thinner, but also closer to the length of the existing exhaust.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In my experience Remus exhausts have a more round and bass sound than Akrapovic which sound more sporty and highpitched. My previous experience with Remus full system on my R1100R was decisive also because a friend of mine bought an Akra for his 90th anniversary and I don't want the two bikes to be identical.

I'll post more sounds and as soon as my friend has his bike I will post the Akra's sound so you could decide.

Can't wait to see and hear more! It looks and sounds excellent as it is. Good luck! I love the deeper sounds; I'm not looking for my baby to sound like a whiny crotch rocket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
another video and report

Here's another video I took on exteriors.

BMW R1200R Remus Full System - YouTube

After 600 km with the Remus system I must report that is definitevely loud but not obnoxious, I can clearly hear it all the time even going fast (top speed so far 160 km/h just for a short moment since still haven't reached the first 1,000 km), on road I averaged 130-140 km/h. I asked my wife if she as passenger found the noise obnoxious, she said the sound is bearable, no complains from her so far.

I'm still pending on the installation of the BoosterPlug.

When accelerating between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm I feel some stalling or hesitation, as far as I understand that's because she is running a tap lean. At higher RPMs I don't fell anything strange, but I think acceleration should be improved with the plug if it works as advertised.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, today the dealer made the 1,000 km service and installed the BoosterPlug, that thing is magical, installation was so easy the dearler made it for free. In the end I recommend the BoosterPlug because now the bike accelerates much better. More detailed info about the plug on the dedicated thread.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'd like to retract my statement about the noise level on previous thread. Mine is louder with the cat, glad the booster plug made a difference. Why don't you get a vid rolling on the throttle next to your friend that is waiting on his akra to see the difference in power since no dyno?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Well, today the dealer made the 1,000 km service and installed the BoosterPlug, that thing is magical, installation was so easy the dearler made it for free. In the end I recommend the BoosterPlug because now the bike accelerates much better. More detailed info about the plug on the dedicated thread.
Nice, I want to read that review about the plug.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wish there was a Titanium Header set to match my Akrapovic Titanium slip on :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts