BMW R1200R Forum banner

Ride a r1200r! what is your age?

Ride a r1200r! What Is Your Age?

44K views 148 replies 71 participants last post by  JochenWoern 
#1 · (Edited)
What is the average age of a R1200R rider? enter it in the poll above.

#10 ·
I'm 76 and no bracket was provided! What the heck. Have been riding since 11 years old. You can do the math. Not sure what the OP has in mind here or is trying to prove, enlighten us.

Jack
WOW!!! 66 years, very very impressive and respectable!

re: There is nothing to prove here... Just a topic...Every thing in life, particularly vehicles, being that with four or two wheels, when designed, created, manufactured, and sold has a target market.

As an example "Starbucks' primary target market is men and women aged 25 to 40. They account for almost half (49 percent) of its total business. Starbucks' appeal to this consumer age group through hip, contemporary design that is consistent in its advertising and decor, and working to keep its products current as status symbols."

Since R1200R target market is not publicized or readily available, it was proposed to create a poll where members can, without prejudice,
share their age. That's it!

After all, you can treat lots of topics on any forum with the same attitude: "What is the reason" or "What are you trying to prove". Nothing, there is no reason, just a topic for conversation.

Cheers
Steve

#17 ·
I'm happy, there are 2 more brackets for me to go!!!
But there should be brackets going up to 120 just so people don't feel like they're at 'THE END'
And who knows, we may find the target age range is about 110! ;)

Reactions: wildoat
#21 ·
There are a bunch of younger riders around here. In Hawaii, and probably the rest of the USA, it isn't hard to get a license. You need to pass a written exam for a riding learner's permit. Then you take the 2 1/2 day rider safety course and get a license. Or you can learn on your own and pass a road test.

We don't have engine limitations at all. Someone with a brand new license can go out and buy a Suzuki Hayabusa if they want. It seems most young people start on a 600cc sport bike around here.

Reactions: Reduxalicious
#20 ·
Poll Options

The poll options only allowed for 10.

I umm'ed and aaaa'ed about which age bracket of 5's I was going to drop off, I was not going to assume, so I dropped one off each end.

Do include yourself in on either end, closest to the age you are though.

Which ever end...your in my mind.

#25 ·
Interesting results, a lot more votes in 45 to 65-year-old group (I’m now 65).

I can only speak for myself, but prior to 45 years of age I typically rode sport, sport touring motorcycles, i.e. Aprilia Mille, Falco, R1100S and R1200S. At around 45, I said to myself, “I want an upright, more comfortable, do-it-all, enjoy riding all day long motorcycle”, which resulted in my getting a R1150R, then a R1200GS, to my current and favorite R1200R.

#26 ·
I take great comfort in polls such as this one as it demonstrates that at 65 I'm something of a whipper snapper in some folk's eyes, who, with luck, has hopefully many more years of riding ahead of me.

#27 ·
Seems like our 12r's are the type of bike someone gets when they're only out to impress themselves.

Not flashy, not loud, nothing to write home about, but...

They handle like a slot car and accelerate like an Indy car.

Best yet, at least in my section of the world, they are the least likely to be stolen. Who'd want to steal one of these?

So, according to the demographics of the poll, it appears middle age people prefer them - and for good reason.

#29 ·
Not flashy, not loud, nothing to write home about, but...

Who'd want to steal one of these?
Which is somewhat odd to me, ........... the more I look at my bike (especially when cleaned and detailed), the more I like the looks of it and it does look VERY flashy to me.

But then again, beauty is ALWAYS in the eye of the beholder. :grin2:

#31 ·
I'm "only" 29, and I got the R1200R because I wanted a naked bike with a kind of classic look, larger engine than my previous 650, but also with ABS. If I would've found a Honda Hornet 900, old enough to come with the round headlight, equipped with the optional ABS, and in the right color, I probably would've bought it. But it was much easier to find an R1200R with that criteria, and I'm super happy with it. It's so beautiful!

I've had drug addicts trying to steal it though, but they don't seem to really care what the bike looks like; they tried to steal a neighbor's super motard at the same time. They just want to ride something for a short while.

#34 ·
Average get age of R1200R riders....

Well, that confirms it. The guys all said that I'd bought an "old-fart's" bike. Now I know it's true. Still like it better than any bike I've ever owned....:wink2:

Reactions: bobthekelpy
#35 ·
BMW boxer reputation is confirmed: Old man's bike.

Oh well, I guess old is the new young. Getting older beats the alternative.

#37 ·
I was glad this Poll was put up. It's answered a few questions for me.
I just can't be bothered wrestling a large bike (Goldwing) anymore and worried about how I'm going to park it, where I'm going to park it and how am I going to get it out of that 2 deg uphill park. (No reverse gear)
I'm 62, so it's comforting to know there's plenty more guys of my vintage happily wheeling one of these around.

#40 ·
Can the polling software handle two data points per response? It'd be interesting to see the riders' ages juxtaposed to the age of their ride, say their "most favorite" ride for those with multiple bikes. Or, perhaps the newest one if they are unable to pick a favorite. Or, those with multiple BMWs get to enter once for each bike.

Anyway, see if there is correlation between riders' ages and newer bikes. Maybe plot a scatter graph with rider age on X axis and bike age on Y axis.