BMW R1200R Forum banner

Ride a r1200r! what is your age?

Ride a r1200r! What Is Your Age?

44K views 148 replies 71 participants last post by  JochenWoern 
#1 · (Edited)
What is the average age of a R1200R rider? enter it in the poll above.

#79 · (Edited)
My remaining years of riding feels like a Camhead fuel strip story.
Yeah....life can be touch and go....or not, like accidentally hit the kill switch in 2 lane busy night traffic :p

Reactions: Clem
#80 ·
I don't feel comfortable revealing my age, but as a general comment, my youngest of three sons has just turned 53 (in human years)... They sure grow up fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#82 ·
Don't be so hard on yourself @mjgt

Reactions: ArbOl
#92 ·
And how is Mrs Pz this morning, Pz?

#97 ·
” I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity.” Albert Einstein.

#100 · (Edited)
My doggie is a great chick magnet - trouble is, most of said chicks are almost as old as I am (80+)! When I'm out and about with him - which is often - I will very often hear murmurs from these ladies as they pass by of "gorgeous", or "lovely", or "so handsome", at which I pull myself up to my full 5'5" and warmly ask "are you talking to me, madam?". Mostly they take it in good part and give a good quip back, but I have had a surly answer or two! My wife thinks I'm mad...

#101 ·
My local boys are in training and can't wait for NSW & QLD border restrictions to be lifted. It seems they're keen to catch up with your chick magnet pooch.

Reactions: Panzermann
#104 ·
71 here and over the last few years have become very fond of Triumphs. I own a couple water cooled triples ('99 Thunderbird Sport, '15 Tiger 800 XRx). My first Beemer was a '70 R75/5 that I took cross country in '76. Took a 35 year lay off and when I got back into riding bought a K100LT and briefly owned a GS thumper. In the interim I tried a few others but that triple motor is very sweet: smooth linear power from just above idle. I was/am satisfied with the Tiger.........
But, a couple years ago a friend offered me his R12 to take for a spin. I never forgot the torque rush. With room in the garage for another bike and some cash, my eye wandered, as it has a habit of doing, to discover the R1200 is offered in a"classic" version- and in the same black/white color scheme as my first slash 5. That was too much! The rest, as they say, is history. A lovely, low mile, pristine '11 is getting farkled up in the garage as we speak. Just about a month into ownership, it now has peg lowering (Suburban Manufacturing), Madstad windshield, accessory port and Xgrip mounted on the Madstad bar, Motech crash bars and a Sargent seat soon to come.
The bike isn't without flaws. The rumble strip phenomena I've posted about is greatly reduced since re-balancing the wheels but now I'm sensitized to it and being only 170 lbs and below the weight the bike is set up for, even with ESA set on "comfort", is still not plush like both of the Triumphs. The hard seat is the only other complaint and that is soon getting sorted.
Still, the bike is getting all my attention. Yes, its the "new" bike but the torque is exhilarating and there's the emotional connection to the slash 5 and the boxer motor. I guess it is really possible to be in love with more than one bike. For me, 3 is just right (and that's not counting my KLX351) And, when riding season resumes here in W. Mass, and I can't abide with the suspension, I suppose I'll dive into shock upgrades....

#108 ·
It's been just 2 years since my post #104 and I'm as infatuated with my classic as ever. I traded out the sport seat for a Comfort seat. That made all the difference.
I made 2 major conspicuity additions. Last year I installed an LED headlight from Motodemic. And just recently Weiser turn signal LED running light inserts.
I do love riding dirt and there's quite a bit of it here in my neck of the woods so the bike is shod with a Trailmax Mission rear and a Shinko 705 front. I don't venture past maintained dirt roads and even then, one riding buddy thinks I'm nuts to take it off tarmac at all. For 2 track, I have a DR650 and am headed to Ecuador at the end of the month for a 6 day self guided tour on one of EcuadorFreedom's DR's.
And I'm just a babe at 73.

#109 ·
Very interesting... It's a bell curve, as you'd expect, but the median is in the 61-65 bracket, substantially older than I expected. My analytical mind immediately jumps to conclusions (when we were all younger, we may have started out on small jap bikes, then maybe the big Harley or the fast jap sporty thing, but with more maturity and experience we eventually evolved to the R's refinement). Those conclusions may be total bullock but it's a fun thread. By the way, I recently flipped into the 66-70 bracket (but similar to what was already mentioned, feel like early 30's when riding).

#113 ·
If BMW’s marketing works, with the release of the flashy single seat 2023 version, we might see a spike at the lower end of the age spectrum. 😄
I think it needs at least about 5 to 10 years before these bikes, that only 60+ with payed-off houses and children on their own can afford, pass to younger people as second hand bikes... Besides the few exceptions that proof the rule.

#115 ·
Wow, similar bike progression here!!
I started in '75 with a '70R75/5. Then, after a 35 year hiatus, went through a series of bikes: K100LT, 650 Vstrom, F650GS, XT250, Breva750, 955 Sprint ST, KLX250 (often had 3 or 4 at once) and my current stable includes a Tiger800XRx, a DR650 and - '11 R Classic! I'm planning to sell the Tiger in the Spring as it just hasn't gotten ridden much since getting the R. That was 3 years ago now.
Unlike other bikes, I've grown to love it more, the longer I have it. I had to put bar backs and peg lowering on it to get a more upright, less cramped riding position. At first I found the ride to be a bit harsh but I keep it ESC set at "comfort" and it's fine.

Reactions: dbyker