BMW R1200R Forum banner

Riding a bike after ankle fusion.

7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  JellyRoll 
#1 ·
I have a bit of a morbid topic to ask advice on.

I am facing a possible left ankle joint fusion procedure in the not too distant future. I had a serious motorcycle accident in 1986, sustaining multiple fractures to both legs. The left suffered the worst, and as a result the ankle joint has now deteriorated to the point where there is no cartilage left.

I have done some online searching, and found many bikers who still ride with a fused left ankle. Most of them MX guys who take a real beating. Most seem to get by fine with a modified shifting technique.

As I understand it, one retains about 50% ankle flexion because the front part of the foot is still able to deflect downward. I am thinking this may be just enough to shift up and down. Then of course it all comes down to the individual as to how much flexion there will be once things have settled down.

Total ankle joint replacement may or may not be an option. If it is, there should be good movement and no problem shifting.

Just putting out the question, and love to hear from any of you who may have had fusion or joint replacement. What has been the outcome regarding motorcycling for you?

There is no way I am going to give up motorcycles. One of life's great pleasures for me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good on you, Wally, for that highly positive outlook. Do hope it goes well for you.

But if the worst comes to the worst, I understand there are larger capacity automatic gear-shift bikes out there that might not disappoint.

L of S

#3 ·
Zero Electrics and Honda automatics are two options in the worst case, which is not that worst, I think.

#6 ·
Picking the best surgeon would be my starting point. There are surgeons and there are surgeons. Wally, do some research and track down the best in SA for the procedure you need (if you haven't already). Cost should not be factored into such ops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.