BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2014 R1200RT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some advice. I want to ride from Houston to San Leandro sometime between now and the end of March. I'd prefer something more interesting than the I10 route but given the time of year I may be dreaming. I have a potential stoppoff in Denver but it's not essential. Where can you cross the Rockies safely, North of I10, at this time of the year? If anyone has done it, where did you cross and is it better now or closer to late March? All input is appreciated.

· Registered
51 Posts
If you plan on riding through Denver before April, plan on nasty weather along the way. Somewhere I have a photo of my RT with four inches of snow on the seat. That was in late April.
I had Gerbing heated clothing but still froze. I think the temp was under freezing for quite a while. My thermometer said less than 25 degrees when I crossed the passes.

· Registered
2017 R1200R
58 Posts
I recently discovered that when using Google Maps, we motorcyclists should use the bicycle icon rather than the car icon as it takes you off the freeways and puts you on side roads. You can then make appropriate changes to get past heavily populated areas.

The Rockies extend down to northern New Mexico, and can be crossed in a more temperate climate.

· Registered
1,058 Posts
Having been around that area, I’d advise against Denver. Just another crappy major city. The route westward is nice, but even then, you’d be better suited to go up I-25 then get off at Pueblo, CO and take minor highways go Breckinridge, CO to get to I-70.

Now, if you take the suggested route to your destination and get off at Sanders, AZ (or Springerville, AZ if you elect to go minor highways rather than interstate through New Mexico), take US-191 south to Three Way, AZ (a crossroads) then west towards Phoenix, AZ. It’s a worthwhile detour but DO NOT attempt it in the late afternoon or evening. Very technical with hairpin turns and no guardrails. Rest up and hit it in the morning.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: dbyker

· Registered
2022 R1250RS his and hers
848 Posts
Crossing the Colorado Rockies in March is asking for trouble, even if you stay on I-70. I wouldn’t recommend it.
I agree. There's no way I would plan a trip with crossing the Rockies in Colorado in March by motorcycle.

· Registered
2014 R1200RT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you plan on riding through Denver before April, plan on nasty weather along the way. Somewhere I have a photo of my RT with four inches of snow on the seat. That was in late April.
I had Gerbing heated clothing but still froze. I think the temp was under freezing for quite a while. My thermometer said less than 25 degrees when I crossed the passes.
Thanks. I too have Gerbing heated gear - still works after five years - but I am not into riding at 25F if there's slush or melted ice on the road.

· Registered
2014 R1200RT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently discovered that when using Google Maps, we motorcyclists should use the bicycle icon rather than the car icon as it takes you off the freeways and puts you on side roads. You can then make appropriate changes to get past heavily populated areas.

The Rockies extend down to northern New Mexico, and can be crossed in a more temperate climate.
I was not aware of the change in Google Maps when using the bicycle icon. As far as the route, I10 looks to be my best (boring) option, it there is a more safe option..

· Registered
2014 R1200RT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Having been around that area, I’d advise against Denver. Just another crappy major city. The route westward is nice, but even then, you’d be better suited to go up I-25 then get off at Pueblo, CO and take minor highways go Breckinridge, CO to get to I-70.

Now, if you take the suggested route to your destination and get off at Sanders, AZ (or Springerville, AZ if you elect to go minor highways rather than interstate through New Mexico), take US-191 south to Three Way, AZ (a crossroads) then west towards Phoenix, AZ. It’s a worthwhile detour but DO NOT attempt it in the late afternoon or evening. Very technical with hairpin turns and no guardrails. Rest up and hit it in the morning.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the interesting detour. This is good info..

· Registered
848 Posts
For the first part of the trip go through the Hill Country, then pick up hwy 90 at Uvalde or Del Rio.

· Registered
1,700 Posts
In March and often in April snow can be present, yes even in southern NM. How are you at riding in snow? Feeling lucky? Ever done it? hehehehe
I 10 is loathesome over its entire course. Look for backroads and wait about 4 weeks. The AAA maps are good for route planning, also, post over on advrider.com for suggestions...lots more traffic there.
That could be a really good ride, just wait for the weather to be your friend. NM riding is great though. See if you can work AZ191, the coronado trail, into your plans, and in NM look at a route that includes Silver City, not for Silver City, but for the roads in and out. Also, there is a great ride from Santa Fe—a really cool town— through Jemez.
look for the squiggly lines and go for them. You should be able to avoid I 10 completely. Maybe look at some of my ride reports here for suggestions.
Avoid snow! and hail, and "wintry mix."

· Registered
2014 R1200RT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In March and often in April snow can be present, yes even in southern NM. How are you at riding in snow? Feeling lucky? Ever done it? hehehehe
I 10 is loathesome over its entire course. Look for backroads and wait about 4 weeks. The AAA maps are good for route planning, also, post over on advrider.com for suggestions...lots more traffic there.
That could be a really good ride, just wait for the weather to be your friend. NM riding is great though. See if you can work AZ191, the coronado trail, into your plans, and in NM look at a route that includes Silver City, not for Silver City, but for the roads in and out. Also, there is a great ride from Santa Fe—a really cool town— through Jemez.
look for the squiggly lines and go for them. You should be able to avoid I 10 completely. Maybe look at some of my ride reports here for suggestions.
I can ski but not on my bike. (No thanks.) I clicked on your name and found some bike for sale posts but I didn't find your ride reports. How do I find them?
OK, I just took a look at the AAA Triptik Planner. Nice. Also found 191 in NM. Looks a bit like Mae Hong Song in Thailand. I see 4 that goes through Jemez. Great tips. Thanks.

· Registered
848 Posts
OK, I just took a look at the AAA Triptik Planner. Nice. Also found 191 in NM. Looks a bit like Mae Hong Song in Thailand. I see 4 that goes through Jemez. Great tips. Thanks.
191 is a fun road. It was called 666 back in 1995 when we took it.
Stop at the Morenci mine overlook.

Sky Plant Mountain Plant community Natural landscape

Sky Mountain Bedrock Natural landscape Formation

· Registered
1,700 Posts
191 is in AZ, not NM, but it is near the border w NM. the state maps from AAA are MUCH better than the triptiks. My ride reports aren't showing up? Damn! Let me look and I'll post links, or DM you.

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Here's one

if you look at this link, in response #25 there are two more links, for NM. Because I'm coming from NOLa I always have to cross Texas

1 - 20 of 32 Posts