BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
"Member Emeritus"?

Too soon? 馃槒

Cheers! Dave

Registered
I'm going to Palm Springs in March. I've crossed west Texas enough times and its the most Boring ride ever. I'm trailering to PS and then riding up north of San Fran and back down 1. Then on the trip back going to do the Devil's Highway (191) up to Alpine and from there take 180 over into NM and down to Morenci.

Registered
This is all east of the main boring part, but if you have the time...
Detour North through Las Vegas, and take Hwy 95 north to Hwy 266. Take 266 through Lida NV, turn left on 168 after crossing into CA. 168 will cross the northern edge of Death Valley and past the south entrance to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest area, crossing over to Big Pine, CA. The road is 2-lane, and goes through the area like a roller coaster, hills, dips, and curves all the way across. From Big Pine, north on the 395 to Lee Vining, and then East through Yosemite on the 120. Stay on 120 through Manteca until you can find the 205 and 580 into San Leandro.

This is a replacement that will skip SoCal as an alternate to the 101/1 route up the coast, and avoids most boring major freeways. Up to Big Pine is pretty boring on the 395, and both I-5 and Hwy 99 are REALLY boring...

Registered
This was given to me by a guy on YT that lives in Cali. My next delima will be where I can park my truck for 2 maybe 3 days. Thinking the airport? Suggestions?
Here are some suggestions: From Palm Springs you should stay west of the Sierra mountain range as the passes on the east side (from 395 both highways 120 and 108 would be closed in March due to snow). From Palms Springs you could take 247 to highway 18 and then 14 through Lancaster to west on 58 to Bakersfield. Then take highway 99 to Fresno and then highway 41 to Oakhurst and then highway 49 all the way up to Grass Valley where you would go west on 20 to Yuba City. Decision Time: Either go north on 99 until Red Bluff (also could take interstate 5 as it is a pretty ride and not crowded). At Red Bluff go west on 36 (very scenic) and then go south on 101 to Leggett (70 miles south). OR...at Grass Valley continue west on 20 to 101 and then go north (Leggett is 45 miles north). Anyway, looking forward to your travel video next spring.

Registered
2022 R1250RS his and hers
My next delima will be where I can park my truck for 2 maybe 3 days. Thinking the airport? Suggestions?
If you know the town where you want to leave your truck and trailer call around and find a motel that will let you leave your truck for a few days.
Make a reservation for going and when you return for the truck.

Registered
Definitely was the plan but since I'm not from Cali I have no idea ow safe places are. Is Palm Spring fairly safe place? I've done it before and had some allow it and other not.

Registered
2014 R1200RT
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
191 is in AZ, not NM, but it is near the border w NM. the state maps from AAA are MUCH better than the triptiks. My ride reports aren't showing up? Damn! Let me look and I'll post links, or DM you.
Got it. Enjoyed it. Particularly enjoyed the photos. With a DSLR? I did the cabot trail a few years ago, in the anti-clockwise direction, but it was in one of those four wheeled things. I am about to move to Colorado where I'll get a slight (?) change of scenery and riding experience from my stay in Texas.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts