BMW R1200R Forum banner

Riding with a passenger

10K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  FinPatu 
#1 ·
All,

So I have recently acquired myself a girlfriend who is interested in riding as my navigator (I hate the term "pillion"). I have looked at many things online, including a MSF-developed course on iTunes U, and I think I have a good idea of what to do, but I was wondering if my fellow forum members have any tips for riding with a passenger.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Take it easy to start with. Just tell them not to fight the lean and just go with it. I never notice any difference in performance or braking with a passenger on the Roadster. The only problem I've ever had is finding a seat we're both comfortable with. The most important thing is to enjoy.

Reactions: DJ_Fission
#3 ·
I find riding 2up just as much fun as riding solo,Why? because you wouldnot even know a good pillion there.
most important thing is to set the pre load for pillion.
Allow a greater breaking distance than normal.
tell your pillion to lean with you on the twisties.
lean forward on acceleration and a tad off your back on braking.
if in doubt buy something like this....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-PILLION-PASSENGER-HANDLES/dp/B00B4RN6HM
worth the money ten fold.
worth working out some form of signals between you so you can communicate on the move.
remember to stop often.we stop every hour or so for a smoke.
remember a happy pillion is a good pillion,you dont want her fidgiting
Go out and enjoy no need to worry

#4 ·
The most important thing to do is make sure the passenger understands what you expect of them before they get on the back. Including how to get on the back (I prefer to mount up, steady the bike and then let the passenger hop on using the left foot peg).

My rules:
*For girls - hold on tight around my chest and look over the shoulder that is in the direction I am turning.
*For guys - hold on tight around my chest and look over the shoulder that is in the direction I am turning. If you stab me in the back with your junk, you will be walking.
*Sit as still as possible at all times.
*If you need to move wait for a straight stretch of road and tap my left thigh before moving. I'll give a nod for you to make a SMALL, SLOW adjustment.
*If we need to stop, tap my right thigh. 2 times for a non-urgent stop, I'll nod and then make a safe stop. 5 times for an urgent stop, I'll check my mirrors and then smash the brakes. DO NOT head butt me.

Once I've drilled in the rules I sum up with "You are luggage, like a back pack, stay still and let me do all the work"

#7 ·
All,

... (I hate the term "pillion")....

Thanks in advance!
What's wrong with "pillion"? Just curious why anybody finds it objectionable. Some terms are obviously misogynistic, such as "backrest" or "b*tch".

#11 ·
Pillion...very close to a brightly colored inert cone....farkle....even comes up with a red underline on this page(meaning not a real word?), sounds like a party accessory or what a child might call "the passing of gas. Just having fun kids.

#12 ·
When I ride with my wife as passenger, I remind myself to take it easy, no sudden acceleration or sudden braking, and to stop often. I remind my wife to avoid moving around when I'm slowing down for a stop. My wife asked that I put a backrest on the bike, so I installed a top box.

#14 ·
My wife is a brilliant pillion, when I bought a Sena dual pack for our helmets, guys I ride with were like, what do you want to hear your missus' for. I ride to get away from the missus' they all said, but communicating with your passenger is great I reckon. Best of luck

Shishka

#16 ·
This always makes me think of asking my brother, who rode in college ('75 Yamaha RD 350 - 2 stroke "rocketship"), about how he learned to ride a passenger - he just picked up an unsuspecting hitchhiker and sorted it out! Don't do that

But for me, my most important signals/rules deal with getting on the bike and underway and coming to a stop - my wife is a great rider - she asks me if I'm ready for her to get on. She taps me when she's ready to start off. And coming to a stop, she knows not to try to help me hold the bike up and to make no sudden movements while at a stopped condition.

My wife, like filride55 said, likes a backrest - while I'm fine with her comfort with that (she told me she initially felt like a small bird clinging to a branch in a wind storm!) and respect her wishes, I think I am most comfortable with her leaning forward and holding on to me - certainly in the twisties. So the lack of passenger feedback with a backrest/topcase can be a vulnerability unless you have a lot of time together riding.

#17 ·
Before setting off let them know what you expect & what they can expect from you/the bike/the experience. Make sure they are wearing the correct safety gear. Explain where they can & can't hold on & why. Agree on a signal for them to let you know they need you to stop. And once you are underway most importantly ride smoothly & at a pace that does not scare the crap out of them. Communicate early in the ride to ensure all is going well. If that means stopping & having a chat so beit.
My wife & I commuted & did day & weekend trips together for years & it was very rare for either of us to have issues.

#19 ·
+1 on most of what has been said. I know this is an old thread, but it bears a bump.

When deciding to take a passenger, it may be worth considering taking a fellow rider as your first. They already KNOW what to do/not do while riding, so it will give you a chance to focus on how your bike handles differently with the extra person. Then take a newb.

Folks seem to skip right over the tough part of how to get them on board, once you've explained the basics: 1. Get yourself, and them, geared up completely. 2. Mount and get settled on the bike. I prefer to have the bike started and idling, with both feet planted, before going to the next step. 3. Motion them to put a hand on your shoulder and step on the peg to mount. Then, ease themselves down and get comfortable. I find having a passenger hang on to me/my shoulders is distracting. I'll have them use their legs and hands on the luggage grab bars to hold to the bike. Once we're moving, they don't need to hang on, anyway.

The key to your passenger enjoying the ride is not to surprise them. No sudden changes in speed or direction. Smoooothly ease out the clutch to avoid helmet smacking. This is one of my worst habits.

#20 ·
The key to your passenger enjoying the ride is not to surprise them. No sudden changes in speed or direction. Smoooothly ease out the clutch to avoid helmet smacking. This is one of my worst habits.
Aside from all other things mentioned, avoiding helmet clacking is the biggest change when riding with a pillion. It's one of the reasons BMW cites for including the shift-assist on its non-sports bikes. In solo riding, the rider subconsciously braces during gear changes to avoid lurching, but the pillion isn't prepared in that way.

So to avoid smacking, I find that throttle technique needs to change: at the point of change, there should be minimal acceleration, then a quick change before rolling the throttle on smoothly as much as you like, but again, for the next change ensure the bike is not accelerating (roll back a little if necessary). Smooth throttle control, minimal acceleration at the point of change, and quick (short or no clutch pull) change.

Of course braking needs to ease on smoothly to allow the pillion to brace.

#23 ·
I had forgotten about this. Funny how a few days ago, someone asked about passengers and I responded with this same name -- "navigator."

The navigator from the first post in this thread is long gone.

#24 ·
Good advice guys - I haven't ridden two-up in a long time but I'm sure I will at some point. I always caution the passenger to NEVER put their feet down...keep 'em on the pegs.

Mark

#26 ·
Did first longer, or "longer", around 100km ride 2-up last Sunday.
Had my oldest son, roughly 70kg, riding with me and I was very surprised to notice that R has quite a tendency to pick it's nose up... I'm still running my bike in so I wasn't even pushing it, just a normal swift acceleration after stopping to an intersection and on 2nd it just started to push the front up. Luckily my son is already quite experienced rider so it didn't scare him too bad, in fact I guess I was more startled than he was. I had settings 2-up, road, road on so I think there's nothing too extreme there either...

So no harm done. But... When riding with someone, especially inexperienced passenger, I suggest rain-mode or extreme caution with the throttle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.