BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to reaching the rear tyre, or tire depending when you come from, with an added or replacement valve stem?
The front one on my new bike is directly from the cast wheel spoke, easy to use, the rear one is vertical towards the hub, making it almost impossible to use a standard garage air supply.

Thanks, Frank

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Right-angled valve extension

G’day from sunny Q’ld, Frank.

This is a real PITA, isn’t it! My 2010 GS was afflicted in the same way. I was recently interested in the new F800GT from BMW, and when having a demo ride was delighted that the tyre valve stems both came out at right angles to a spoke, front and back, figuring that it would make inflation and checking so very easy.

Then moved my choice of new bike to the R1200 R, expecting to find the same, but NO! – front valve-stem as you describe, rear – unchanged - still mission impossible. Madness!

Anyway, to answer your query – I found the right-angled adaptor a bit tricky to use and seemed to lose more air removing it after inflation than I had put in.

My solution was to cut the hose from a $14 K Mart electric tyre pump and adapt that. At one end there is a very handy ‘toggle’ inlet valve (cannot think of a better word) type of fitting that simply clips onto the stem on the tyre. At the other (cut-off) end of the hose, which is about 300mm long (say a foot), the local industrial air-hoses (Pirtek or similar) guy swaged-on a small brass fitting that is attached to the servo air-hose. He charged me $2!!!

So it’s now a simple matter: attach the ‘toggle’ to the stem on the tyre, insert the other end’s fitting into the servo hose, add air! Works every time. I carry this item curled up under the seat towards the back of the under-seat space there. Oh – and I carry the right-angle adaptor with me in the same place, just in case!

I did write to BMW HQ about this absurdity but got the usual pathetic PR-speak response.

Cheers – hope this assists.

L of S

Outer Brisbane, south-east Queensland, Australia

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - great tips. I think I'll have a few made up and give them away to any R1200R rider I come across!

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Thanks - great tips.
I'm sure they'd be delighted!

BTW - if you do not want to buy then mangle the tyre pump, I'm sure that the air-hose shops can supply everything you need - but maybe not the 'toggle' end, which I find invaluable as it's so easy!

L of S

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not a fan of most Motorrad-branded tchotchkes in catalogs, but they do make an outstanding electronic tire-pressure gauge. The techs in the local dealership use it, and it works fine with the awkward rear tire stem. With the gauge, there's little to no air loss per use, and it beeps to let you know it's got a reading.

Part 82121467187, ~$20

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Sorry, I read over this part. That valve extender would be helpful out on the road. FWIW, I use a bicycle pump to top up the R12R tires at home.
What about the thing that is paired with it on amazon. Would this work?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry, I read over this part. That valve extender would be helpful out on the road. FWIW, I use a bicycle pump to top up the R12R tires at home.
That is exactly what I do. Screw the extender hose on to the valve stem and attach the chuck from the bicycle pump to the other end. Works great.

I have a mini compressor (which I have not had to use yet) for on the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts