BMW R1200R Forum banner

Roadside barrier protection

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Stricko 
#1 ·
#7 · (Edited)
In Oz they are starting to put a shield under the Armco guard rails to stop riders sliding underneath (and hitting retaining posts). We still have places with wire rope barriers though.
From what I can gather, its the uprights on both installs, armco and wire roping, rather than the roping/armco that do the nasty damage.

Wire roping is a cheap alternative for road barriers, sure I read years ago when it first came out, the install was suppose to be 6 metrers from the road verge.
No government transport and road agency has stuck to that rule of thumb.

As motorcyclist our Government road user fees are huge compared to other vehicle users, because we are expensive to fix when injured on our health system.
The whole issue is polarising.
I don't mind the extra expense, but my attitude took a turn for the worse when I saw such structures installed with not thought of the motorcyclist as a road user.

The install of protective barriers is very heartening, more so if they continue to do installs around the country.

Perhaps I should go and pay for one of my registrations on my bikes now!

It is neat that the government is looking out for motorcyclists. I have never seen anything like that. Not too many curvy roads on my island so I don't picture anything like that coming here.

I would settle for stop lights that can sense when a motorcycle is at an intersection.
:clown: Yes I can see your gripe, light stays red, and your at the front of the cue, the motorists behind can't understand
A/. why your madly gesturing for them to slide up beside you to trigger the lights.
B/. why the lights have gone through three cycles and they are still waiting there :clown:

Reactions: Panzermann
#6 ·
It is neat that the government is looking out for motorcyclists. I have never seen anything like that. Not too many curvy roads on my island so I don't picture anything like that coming here.

I would settle for stop lights that can sense when a motorcycle is at an intersection.

#8 ·
That is great news Erin. Hopefully this kind of concern for motorcyclist will grow. I have to agree with the stoplight thing. I usually look around and go if there are no police in sight and of course no autos heading my way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.