BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R12 R
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snow melt and rainy season ahead. What have you found that works on R1200R to deal with the Rooster Tail?

Alan
Brooklyn R1200 R

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
So far? Obsessive washing. I just got the ilmberger rear hugger, but haven't installed it in my unheated shed yet. Fingers crossed it shouldn't hurt at least. Then I remember my windshield making windblast worse. . .

·
Registered
397 Posts
A GS-style rear mudguard would really help... The bosses to mount it are already bored and tapped in the swingarm, so I hear. (I'm in So Cal, so don't see much wet stuff.)

·
Registered
2015 R12 R
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far? Obsessive washing. I just got the ilmberger rear hugger, but haven't installed it in my unheated shed yet. Fingers crossed it shouldn't hurt at least. Then I remember my windshield making windblast worse. . .
Yeah, the windscreen is probably the next thing I have to deal with...

·
Registered
2015 R12 R
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A GS-style rear mudguard would really help... The bosses to mount it are already bored and tapped in the swingarm, so I hear. (I'm in So Cal, so don't see much wet stuff.)
So that is the question...which style works better? GS style (kinda ugly) or the hugger? I'll ride in the rain if I have to and in mountains and canyons, always the dirt and rain mix from runoffs and flooded drains/ditches.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
I've seen some guys use both, hugger protects shock and under bike area, the GS tumor/plate mount stops almost all rearward and some up/forward rooster tail.

·
Registered
397 Posts
So, for the OP, I guess the question is - what are you trying to keep clean?

I've been eyeing the mudsling, but again.... SoCal... :)

·
2,864 Posts
The what??
You're not the only one wondering - Rooster tails? I think they must be as rare as hen's teeth, even those who should know haven't seen any as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
You're not the only one wondering - Rooster tails? I think they must be as rare as hen's teeth, even those who should know haven't seen any as well.

I say, something ain't right with that boy!

His muscles are as soggy as a used teabag.

I made a funny son, and you're not laughing!

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,963 Posts
In the US rooster tail is a common reference for the spray of water/grime coming up and outward off the rear tire, or the spray of dirt spinning a tire off-road, or even the spray of water from a speedboat.
In Australia, rooster tails are the dirt thrown up by an off-road bike when spinning the rear wheel.

·
2,864 Posts
Oh, I see, and I hope I didn't ruffle and feathers.

·
Registered
2015 R12 R
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, for the OP, I guess the question is - what are you trying to keep clean?

I've been eyeing the mudsling, but again.... SoCal... :)
Gear bags on the rear rack, brake light, ESA/suspension and battery compartment...and pillion rider. All seem vulnerable to excess water and roadcrap... that nasty, oily, grime that stains everything. I don't mind dirt and mud but that other stuff that leaves a black stripe up your back...prob not good for breathing either. Haha!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey @Panzermann - what was that extra bit Aussie bikes were fitted with, again? The extra flap on the license plate holder? I think one of those would do for protecting the tail light, a mudsling with a custom plate on the inside of the luggage rack would take care of most of the rest, I think...

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,963 Posts
Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Dave in NE TN
1,017 Posts
Ilmberger CF Hugger worked very well for me, kept the rear of the bike pretty clean and looked great too. Ilmberger makes Really Good $tuff, but other huggers may work about as well.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got tired of cleaning just from a FL thunderstorm so I just installed the GS rear mud guard. It bolted right on and with a little “heat”got it lined up pretty good.

I’ll post later if it helps!

D100D297-3EFE-4D8A-B4CA-C4952F4BD505.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
Just came in from the shed after installing my hugger. Plan to test it Thursday when I travel an hour each way to get my second shot against the plague. I drove 5.25 minutes for the 1st, but I'm ok with the drive as I was switched to salary and have to use or lose my many weeks of vacation now, and looks like I'll be able to take the R. Plus it's a Thursday and I only work till noon on Friday now, so I took 1.5 vacation days for a 4 day weekend. Will be my first ride of significance on the highway as well as airing out both new fenders. I hope both contribute to a cleaner experience.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts