BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many RS owners added bar risers, bags (and/else trunk) plus tall windscreen to change your bike into an R for long rides? Wondering what +/- outcomes result vs just getting an R1250R and adding such things. Not really a RS/S type rider, more an RT type (05 r1200rt presently).

At my age, 65 in August, I don't see riding bikes out of State anymore though have always been a fan of wind protection and places to store stuff (bags, trunk, tank bag) if say riding to Daytona (east cost) from Tampabay, the West coast of Florida, and back in a day. Just not certain I can justify doing a newer RT bike due to the limited amount of riding I do now plus would be nice to shed some bike weight as well.

Don't know if rear end gear ratios are different (RS vs R) or a drop better wind protection due to RS bodywork 'fairing'. Read 17 and up got the updated/changes transmission though not certain if that matters much. Plus 2019 was first year for shiftcam engine.

Seems the headlight that turns when you go through curves would be an added bonus. Darn not offered on the R/RS model, though on the NineT and RT.

In all my days of biking I have always had an awareness in pitch black places (deep in the heart of GA with not a single street light for miles on end) of how the headlight does not lean into turns and once bmw came out with it always figured it would be a great safety feature when on such roads.

Figure the R and RS have different bars (RS probably not as wide) plus would need to replace cables would think.

If in the end, goal to have a bike with removable bags and comfort of R1250R ergonomics, wonder if a base R is the way to go or benefits to changing an RS to a R layout.

I am not a speed racer so don't know that any RS spec engine/gear wise would matter to me. Save for the fact that I would not per say want higher rpm numbers for given speed (mostly highway) if R model is geared lower (if I am saying that right).

Maybe 2019 was first year for RS shiftcam engine. Though maybe a 2017 wethead would be a better choice to save $ when buying used. Not into black (well on R18 looks great) so would have to explore colors bmw did from 13-18.
Thanks, stay and ride safe all

Thank you

·
Registered
715 Posts
My wife and I had the R1200RS and now have the R1250 RS.
Both of us stayed with the stock bars and the stock shield in the lowest position.
The shield has four possible positions.
Both of us are 66.

• Helpful
Reactions: r0ckrat and dbyker

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,641 Posts
I test rode the RS a few years ago wanting to like it but did not, my impression was too crouched and slow handling compared to the R (and GS) for me. That is just my opinion and everyone's different.

I think test riding both would help you decide which one you like more, then you can narrow your search and accessorize your purchase from there.

Read & Ride. Sometimes the hunt is half the fun! ;)

Cheers, Dave

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
If it helps, the R and RS are mechanically identical but for the steering geometry and handlebars.

Reactions: Motoring

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If uncomplicated wind protection with limited buffeting and noise is a priority, read the many threads and posts to the effect of adding windscreens to the naked R model.
That would be painful I fear. Trying to tame mother nature is not a child's game nor easily accomplished me thinks. At least based on the many bikes owned over the years I have found.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Newish R1250R rider here but l’ve been reading reviews on R bikes for years before purchasing. R1200 from 2017 have significantly better gearboxes than early LC bikes and according to advice l received here and from a couple of local Bimmer riders first edition 1250 bikes (2019 ?) might be worth avoiding. Cheers

·
Registered
247 Posts
I like looking at naked bikes and the wind drag reminds me to keep the speed down so the R is the bike for me.

I did install RS handlebars on my R to get the ergonomics right. The bike came with a Wonderlich "tombstone" fly screen that is quite effective at killing bugs and does not seem to be a turbulence problem.

Oh yeah, 65YO. Have done back to back 600 mile days on a two week road trip.

·
Registered
2022 BMW R1250R
3 Posts
I like looking at naked bikes and the wind drag reminds me to keep the speed down so the R is the bike for me.

I did install RS handlebars on my R to get the ergonomics right. The bike came with a Wonderlich "tombstone" fly screen that is quite effective at killing bugs and does not seem to be a turbulence problem.

Oh yeah, 65YO. Have done back to back 600 mile days on a two week road trip.
Do you have any pictures of the handlebar change?

Bill

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
482 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK...I have an R1250R. I wanted to love the RS and test rode one. I didn't enjoy the bars and bent ergonomics, but loved the rest of it. I found an almost new R on the used lot (1200 miles) and it already had a sport-tour sized vTechnic windscreen on it. I'm 5'7" and the taller screen did block a bunch of air but caused a little bit of turbulence for me. Not awful, but not perfect. I replaced the plastic with a vShield low one and its perfect for me. The wind hits me from my shoulders up, but its clean air. I also fit risers to bring the bars a little more up/back and I am happy. This is my only bike and it is pretty much good at everything I have tried, including long multi-day tours, scratching around on back roads and cruising to work. Best bike I have ever owned.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think GPS mount is partially BMW: the swivel extension looks aftermarket.
I'm reasonably sure the "scaffolding" is Wunderlich. I tried it and kept only the swivel part - the bits that raised it up looked very much out of place, but I do like the better angle.

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC
111 Posts
That would be painful I fear. Trying to tame mother nature is not a child's game nor easily accomplished me thinks. At least based on the many bikes owned over the years I have found.
Fortunately, there are others on here who have done a lot of the work for you. There is plenty of information available, so none of us have to make all the mistakes ourselves!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OK...I have an R1250R. I wanted to love the RS and test rode one. I didn't enjoy the bars and bent ergonomics, but loved the rest of it. I found an almost new R on the used lot (1200 miles) and it already had a sport-tour sized vTechnic windscreen on it. I'm 5'7" and the taller screen did block a bunch of air but caused a little bit of turbulence for me. Not awful, but not perfect. I replaced the plastic with a vShield low one and its perfect for me. The wind hits me from my shoulders up, but its clean air. I also fit risers to bring the bars a little more up/back and I am happy. This is my only bike and it is pretty much good at everything I have tried, including long multi-day tours, scratching around on back roads and cruising to work. Best bike I have ever owned. View attachment 116440
Good to know. Darn, liking the look of that RT. They have a few of the new 22 option 719 RTs in florida with some sort of color pin strip that looks sort of cool.

I got a bmw replacement battery today for my 05 RT and sat on the various bikes…GS, GS low, NineT, RT, Goldwing Standard, and Goldwing Tour (had forgotten how heavy my 2018 dct model really is. It has been so long since I had been on my dct wing…the Florida heat has been keeping me in the a/c most times.

Though not at this dealer, I did notice a used 2017 GSA low for sale but honestly they ALL just feel heavy to me…maybe because I am turning 65 this month lol. Well, the NineT had a lite weight to her as does a used R1250R which I rode prior.

Maybe I just need bmw to have a end of year sale/offer on the 2022 R1250R model.

I used to love the white/red/blue though not as taken with that color now days for some reason. Seems bmw is supposed to be selling a dark blue R1250R with shiny gloss paint (not Matt) but I have not seen any listed on cycletrader (new nor used).

Time will tell…though presently thoughts are on a 17 r1200 (though then need to buy warranty) else a19 r1250 (again probably need to get a warranty). Else see what shows up later this year on a new/used 2022 model that someone else already kitted out with bags, screen, engine guards and trunk. Now that would be a great find indeed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 R1200 RS with Wunderlich flat bars, engine guards, aftermarket wind screen and wind deflectors, hard bags, Hornig folding highway pegs/foot rests and a custom hand formed seat. I live in Colorado and have taken several 1000 mile plus trips this summer. 2 up and solo. (My friend has a similar set up on his 2020 R1250RS.) For us the RS makes an agile sport tourer without the heft of the RT and much more protection that the R.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC
111 Posts
... the NineT had a lite weight to her as does a used R1250R which I rode prior.
Maybe I just need bmw to have a end of year sale/offer on the 2022 R1250R model.
The RNineT has nice enough aesthetics, but I'm not sure why someone pays $1,000 more (base model to base model) for a bike with the older engine and down 27hp and 20 lb/ft of torque, as well as analog gauges and without the rest of the technology of the R. Retro is great, but I guess I can't see paying a lot extra for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts