BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the LC RS just an R with fairings?

Is ride position, suspension, dynamics etc similar?

When did production of the RS cease (no longer seems to be available here in Australia)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
Other than the obvious cosmetics, the only differences are the triple clamp fork offset and handlebars. Having said that, the RS comes stock with the no-cost optional High Seat.

The increased fork offset of the RS decreases the castor from 126 to 115 mm compared with the R, and increases the wheelbase by 12 mm. The net effect, with the lower, narrower handlebars, is that the RS is not as flickable as the R (according to test ride reports) although would seem to hold line in high speed corners better.

The RS is still listed in Australia - subject to stock availability prior to the arrival of the 1250. Look under the Sport category on the web site.

Reactions: Clem

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Temptation

McBean...........always tempting guys with the newest sensation.
Leading the innocent to debt and gearhead addiction.:wink2: Good job !
It's enough the Motorrad videos of Shift-Head models
have our money spent before we earn it.
You're putting out the fire with gasoline.
Here's another innocent enough looking German girl.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
McBean...........always tempting guys with the newest sensation.
Leading the innocent to debt and gearhead addiction.:wink2: Good job !
I'm not sure if you can live vicariously through others spending, through encouragement..... there is some thrill there!
Cheap thrills :laugh2:

I've actually not watched the Cat People movie, must do, the theme song is such a great song.

Reactions: sturgeon

·
Registered
95 Posts
Real Temptation

This BMW promo video showcases the new 2019 Boxer lineup and the updates that I suddenly seem to really must have. As for the R vs RS difference, between the 6 to 9 minute mark answers that question.

In The Spotlight

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I've actually not watched the Cat People movie, must do, the theme song is such a great song.
Always loved Nastassja Kinski. And black cats. Nigel beware.

The first one is named Boxer. The other is Huey. Lest anyone think there's no motorcycle content here. >:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
I found this video gives a good rundown on the differences between the ride experiences of the R1200R and RS (and RT & GS).

I’d expect the distinctions between the respective 1250 modeks to be similar.

Reactions: Anthonyp0808

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had both and from my experience:
The R is more upright, agile, easier to filter in traffic, wind on the chest & quieter (minus screen).

The RS is more forward leaning (therefore front weighted) linear at highway speeds, cumbersome in traffic (maybe because of offset fork at front axle), overall protection, turbulence at helmet (because of screen), conventional (in the sport bike sense).

Both excel. For me the R is an easier and more fun ride and I commute around 140 k's a few time a week with a mix of highway slab (100k's) and rolling twisties (40k's) in the highlands.

With the R you just have to accept the elements and the insects. The price of a bigger smile.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
The R bars are higher and the R is quicker steering because of slightly different front forks.

These pictures show how the axle is more forward on the RS.
Interesting, according to these specs listed the wheelbase is only 10mm difference between the two bikes and the steering head angle is the same.
Am I missing something?

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_r1200rs 15.htm

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_r1200r 15.htm

Riding the RS for me was a uncomfortable experience, legs felt cramped, reach to long to the bars.
The R LC felt very familiar in ergos to my BMW camhead.

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
I thought the wheelbase and trail difference were due to the combination of differences in triple clamp offset and axle offset, but checking part numbers the lower triple clamp part numbers are the same. The wheelbase increase on the RS, however, doesn't match the castor decrease. Presumably then, there's a slight difference in the main frame—part numbers for the identical coloured frame differ, although this could simply be due to minor differences in attached bracketry (for the front fairing).

From the hips down, ergos are the same if you choose the identical seat height (RS comes standard with the High seat option). The lower bars of the RS give a tighter hip angle though.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
I reckon simple things such as higher wider handle bars as on the r1200r, compared to the clip on style of the RS make for quicker steering.
The fact that the RS has a front fairing that pushes airflow away, its mass could slow the steering down compared to the R.

Different style of bike I know, when I purchases my near new camhead and rode it a round for a while without a fairing, then installed the Wunderlich Trophy fairing on at a later date, it certainly felt more solid up front as it pushed through air, this appeared to make it slower turning.....until I got yous't to it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an R with the RS bar and tons of other changes. But if you took the fairing off of the RS, the only differences between the bikes is the handlebar, and fork offset which changes the steering slightly. But you could pretty easily adjust the forks to negate or enhance the difference.

I have the RS bar on mine, and have adjusted the fork offset slightly to shorten the wheelbase a hair, and to give the front end more rake. Now the bike is even more responsive in the front end, and the additional weight on the front gives it better feel to me.

The bike is currently apart for some powdercoating and a round headlight conversion, but here's a shot of the handlebar just dangling there. But you can see that compared to the R bar, much less rise.

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
The RS 1250’s new face certainly makes the bike look a lot sleeker than the original model.
Indeed... I was comparing the R1250RS to the OnlyAMotherCouldLove mug on my R1100RS.
What a difference 26 years makes.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
647 Posts
My humblish opinions on R vs RS

Before I purchased my R, I did a lot of seat time on the 1200 models, renting each for about 2 weeks to ride in Scotland (RS) and in the Alps (R, and RS).
Most of those miles were 2 up with luggage, but I still got in a fair amount of seat time on each riding solo.
If I were doing mostly longish rides, touring solo or 2 up, I'd definitely have the RS in my garage now.

But all things considered, most of my riding is local backroads, by myself.
And for solo riding on technical, goaty sort of roads, the R is my ticket to happy riding.
I'd consider having Both Bikes, too, but I have to maintain domestic harmony and keep it to 3.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts