BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mate of mine just acquired a new S1000R ... wow, that’s one very tasty machine. I’m resisting a trip to my local dealer, but I don’t know if I can hold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I think you'd better buy a new house with much larger garage at the rate you're acquiring new bikes, Mike!

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have they refreshed the S1000R in any way? Hell they haven't even put the new TFT on it. It's still fugly with that lopsided headlight setup, always has been. I reckon BM have been scared off due to the publicity surrounding the awesome new Ducati V4 Streetfighter and have had to go back to the drawing board on the S1000R. With the look of the S1000R looking the same as it always has, It instantly dates it and makes me not want to even look at it as an option, regardless of new colours...pfft.

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
I took one for a short spin BR (before Roadster) and thought it was great. I still think it looks good for an inline four, especially in the blue metallic ice, and I do like the quirky and iconically BMW pirate-eye. With its dinky little tail though, it didn’t pass my practicality test, so didn’t tempt me away from my F800ST. But then along came the LC, which has as much of the S1000R’s responsiveness as I needed and passed the practicality test with flying colours. The rest is history.

Reactions: TimMc

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Ergos look to be a bit cramped for you, Pz.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have they refreshed the S1000R in any way? Hell they haven't even put the new TFT on it. It's still fugly with that lopsided headlight setup, always has been. I reckon BM have been scared off due to the publicity surrounding the awesome new Ducati V4 Streetfighter and have had to go back to the drawing board on the S1000R. With the look of the S1000R looking the same as it always has, It instantly dates it and makes me not want to even look at it as an option, regardless of new colours...pfft.
Pfft you say ... Meh.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took one for a short spin BR (before Roadster) and thought it was great. I still think it looks good for an inline four, especially in the blue metallic ice, and I do like the quirky and iconically BMW pirate-eye. With its dinky little tail though, it didn’t pass my practicality test, so didn’t tempt me away from my F800ST. But then along came the LC, which has as much of the S1000R’s responsiveness as I needed and passed the practicality test with flying colours. The rest is history.
View attachment 108225
Be good to see a photo of PZ on a CUB.

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
Ergos look to be a bit cramped for you, Pz.
Probably not that much different to the Roadster, Lawrence - slightly more forward lean. At 183 cm, I’m proper height, so knee bend is fairly acute on both bikes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm more intrigued by the F850X's to be honest.

The S1000RR is a great bike, rode my buddy's a while. But chain drive lost me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I tried a Yamaha MT10. It’s fairly practicable, you can fit a full luggage set to it if you want. Having said that its small tank and surprising thirst in turn work against it in the practicality stakes. It was great fun, but the front just keeps pawing the air all the time. I spend my one-hour test ride pulling wheelies everywhere. I pulled more wheelies in that one hour than I’ve maybe done in my whole life. Too mad for me.

I was interested in the S1000. Though I have seen the odd one with a top box fitted, I assume it is down to talented owners fabricating their own fitting kits, as I don’t see anything from Givi etc all. So that ruled it out for me.

Ducati V4 streetfighter? 17.6K here in the UK for the base model, and from what I have read the power is all up top. BMW from just over 12K and plenty of mid-range grunt. I think BMW will keep shifting em.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
In a couple of weeks, I hope to take out a loaner S1000R for a full-day ride. My interest is not to replace my LC as my touring machine, but I think, I could squeeze in my garage another 4xpot fun day-ride machine. I'm not fussed about the lack of a TFT screen or luggage options although a small tank ring for my SW-Motech tank bag would be nice. For this particular bike, my decision would be all about the fun-factor, and not practicalities. Although, in terms of fun-factor, nothing aces my little C125 CUB.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
54 Posts
It seems I am one of the few, who would (try to) avoid the almighty inline four liter+- category,
Due to lack of enough maturity to resist the temptation to taste again and again the elation of the power/acceleration/speed these rockets are so easily capable of
(Thus the R1200R; i.e. remaining whole after several years of a '95 Fireblade (some 20+ years ago) is purely due to luck).

P.s.
.... It's still fugly with that lopsided headlight setup, always has been. ...
it seems I am also/again one of what seems to be the few, who very much like the BMW a-symmetric/pirate-eye(term courtesy of Panzermann) look

---2.jpg

---4.jpg

---1.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fugly you say @wasserboxer? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not saying nothing bloke, but I would have to say the LCs headlight aesthetics isn't all that flash. However, some of all the parts make up for a few of the quirky bits work as a total bike-package. Just saying WB

Reactions: ArbOl

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Fuggly is as fuggly does. We are all different, which is why 'YMMV' is so valuable as shorthand...

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
What’s the metric equivalent of that expression, Lawrence? 🤔

Hmmm! Will have to ponder that. Not as intuitive as might seem! Not - as I have remarked many times here, to the sound of one hand clapping from Pz - that anything about BMW motorcycles is intuitive! But since you have introduced metrics into the plot - how about chacun à son goût?

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm! Will have to ponder that. Not as intuitive as might seem! Not - as I have remarked many times here, to the sound of one hand clapping from Pz - that anything about BMW motorcycles is intuitive! But since you have introduced metrics into the plot - how about chacun à son goût?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts