BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the wife won't ride, and I hate the bulky look of my panniers I am thinking of buying the Sargent seat pod. It replaces the passenger seat with a 5.8l lockable storage unit that looks like a solo seat nacelle. I usually leave my panniers on for practicality but I think this would be big enough for 60% or more of my uses.

They come unpainted or "faux" carbon fiber. Which usually means it looks like crap. The guy from Sargent sent me a pic, and says it is a hydro-dip finish, which can be quite good. I have an Ilmberger hugger and front fender on order. (They will finally ship my hugger!) So I'm considering the carbon finish.

So I wonder if anyone has seen one in person with the "faux" carbon? Does it look crap and I should just buy the plain and have it painted?

Here is the pic he sent me

Just worried it might look worse in sunlight, especially being near real carbon bits.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have no idea, but hope someone here does as I'm very curious myself now...I had no idea this existed until you brought it up, and now I'm wondering if perhaps it's the right solution for me as well.

Sure wish they had a photo on their webpage that showed the entire bike with it in, not just the rear portion, so I can see what it looks like in proportion to the entirety of the bike.

To your question: It's not in sunlight and, in fact, the lighting is awful, but the video they have on the product page has the carbon fiber (you can start to see the weave at about 30 seconds, after otherwise looking glossy black for the half-minute before):

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've not yet seen faux carbon fiber that didn't look tacky after ~10K miles of sun and normal wear. Since they are charging over $200 extra (!) for that finish you ought to be able to afford getting it painted to match your bike. Or wrapped & re-wrapped a few times - the faux brushed aluminum might look good for a while. Or coated with untextured bedliner so it doesn't show boot scuffs from getting on the bike when you're getting tired :)

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea, but hope someone here does as I'm very curious myself now...I had no idea this existed until you brought it up, and now I'm wondering if perhaps it's the right solution for me as well.

Sure wish they had a photo on their webpage that showed the entire bike with it in, not just the rear portion, so I can see what it looks like in proportion to the entirety of the bike.

To your question: It's not in sunlight and, in fact, the lighting is awful, but the video they have on the product page has the carbon fiber (you can start to see the weave at about 30 seconds, after otherwise looking glossy black for the half-minute before):

They have lots of R9T pics but it's a different unit. They do show the back third with it on a LC1200

And it's not the most beautiful solo nacelle, but it does have 5.8l of storage and I expect I'll like it's looks better than the panniers. And since I'm always solo I've been considering sacrificing the passenger peg for a high muffler mount so it makes a lot of sense to me.

Whatever finish I end up with I'll definitely post multiple pics when I have it.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've not yet seen faux carbon fiber that didn't look tacky after ~10K miles of sun and normal wear. Since they are charging over $200 extra (!) for that finish you ought to be able to afford getting it painted to match your bike. Or wrapped & re-wrapped a few times - the faux brushed aluminum might look good for a while. Or coated with untextured bedliner so it doesn't show boot scuffs from getting on the bike when you're getting tired :)
Agreed the cost is just silly. For that much they could do it in real carbon fiber. I'm guessing professional painting will run a little more but not a huge amount. I keep thinking carbon fenders front and back, carbon tank center and sport fly screen from ilmberger and then this would really balance out.

But I agree with you on all the fake carbon I've seen looking crap, usually right from new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Once you have it, you could dis-assemble the thing, and use it to make a mold, then cast your own CF cover...
Once you have it, you could dis-assemble the thing, and use it to make a mold, then cast your own CF cover...
Not carbon fiber, but here's how mine came out painted Light White and pinstriped. Quality of unit is excellent. Perfect fit, finish and function. KIMG0422.JPG KIMG0420.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not carbon fiber, but here's how mine came out painted Light White and pinstriped. Quality of unit is excellent. Perfect fit, finish and function. View attachment 110161 View attachment 110165
That looks great, did you paint it or have it done professionally? I had been thinking of having it painted white and buying the BMW stickers to make pin stripes, were yours painted stripes?

How is the storage space? I wonder if the irregular shape reduces the usefulness?

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe when I retire. For now I work in metal not plastics or CF. If someone did that they might be able to sell covers if they were good at it though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That looks great, did you paint it or have it done professionally? I had been thinking of having it painted white and buying the BMW stickers to make pin stripes, were yours painted stripes?

How is the storage space? I wonder if the irregular shape reduces the usefulness?
Thanks. That was a fun project. I painted using ColorRite aerosol paints (primer, base & clear coat system). Matched the stock BMW paint perfectly. The kit comes with everything you need ... various sand paper grits, tack cloths, de-greaser wipes, tape, buffing polish, etc. The pin stripes are reflective blue and red tape. In daylight the colors match the factory stickers, but reflect light at night when hit by headlights. You can see the effect in the pictures from the phone camera flash. In daylight, you can't notice it. As for storage space, I keep a tire repair kit, small toolkit, extra sunglasses, gloves, and lately a Covid mask. Even with that, there is still room in there. BTW ... I suspect from looking at it, that Sargent builds the cowl on stock BMW rear seat pans. Exactly the same cutouts for the stock tool kit, riders manual, etc. It's a quality unit.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Certainly more than I hoped for with both a unit painted my bike's color and a carbon look unit! Thank you both very much. Could either of you advise if it would hold a 1 liter water bottle and a sandwich for work lunch commuting?

I also suspect they buy OEM seat pans as I have their seat set already, and totally agree the quality is exceptional and have been impressed with their service and support.

Now that I paid for both fenders from ilmberger it will be a little while before I can order my pod, hopefully before spring really opens up my riding time again.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you all have 34" inseams to swing a leg over the pod? Or do the chicken dance?
I am 6'4", but only a 32" (barely) inseam. I broke my pelvis on the right when I was young, and dislocated my right knee cap a few years ago. And sometimes if I'm sore I step up on the left peg with my left foot, and that solves my issues. But usually I awkwardly swing my leg like a big dead club up over the tail of the bike, so I anticipate dragging the cloth of my pants on it, with my boot well clear of the pod. I do sometimes leave scuffs on the outside edge of my right pannier. No problems once I'm on it though.

Bottom line for me is I'm going to ride the bike come hell or high water, I WILL find a way to make it work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
32" inseam and I'm in my 70's. No problem with any boot scuffing on any bike. Trick is: grab handlebars, left foot on left peg, rise up and swing right leg over and onto right peg. Easy peasy. Yes, bottle of water and a sandwich will fit with no problem.

·
Registered
2015 R1200R
9 Posts
This looks like an interesting option.
Can someone post a pic that shows it open?
Thanks

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This looks like an interesting option.
Can someone post a pic that shows it open?
Thanks
RC65 linked to the Sargent video above, and in that short video they open and close it while moving the camera around the bike. They even wired in LEDs to light it up like a car trunk.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Since the wife won't ride, and I hate the bulky look of my panniers I am thinking of buying the Sargent seat pod. It replaces the passenger seat with a 5.8l lockable storage unit that looks like a solo seat nacelle. I usually leave my panniers on for practicality but I think this would be big enough for 60% or more of my uses.

They come unpainted or "faux" carbon fiber. Which usually means it looks like crap. The guy from Sargent sent me a pic, and says it is a hydro-dip finish, which can be quite good. I have an Ilmberger hugger and front fender on order. (They will finally ship my hugger!) So I'm considering the carbon finish.

So I wonder if anyone has seen one in person with the "faux" carbon? Does it look crap and I should just buy the plain and have it painted?

Here is the pic he sent me
View attachment 110159
Just worried it might look worse in sunlight, especially being near real carbon bits.
I have a Corbin smuggler, I'm very happy with it. https://www.corbin.com/bmw/bmwr12rs16smg.shtm

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I looked it up and I like the 9.5l capacity, I think the Sargent one looks better, but that capacity would make it my choice anyway, except two things. I already have a Sargent saddle set, and I'm not sure the Corbin wouldn't interfere, especially because my saddle is custom. Also the price is more than three times as high. $300ish unpainted vs almost $1000, wow.

I also looked at the Diopa unit which is like 500 or 600 euros and I think looks a little better than the Sargent, but looks slightly smaller and the access through a tiny slot under the but pad was a deal breaker for me.

You can see the Diopa one on Divadanielle's (I think) project parts bin posts here on the forum.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts