BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I looked it up and I like the 9.5l capacity, I think the Sargent one looks better, but that capacity would make it my choice anyway, except two things. I already have a Sargent saddle set, and I'm not sure the Corbin wouldn't interfere, especially because my saddle is custom. Also the price is more than three times as high. $300ish unpainted vs almost $1000, wow.

I also looked at the Diopa unit which is like 500 or 600 euros and I think looks a little better than the Sargent, but looks slightly smaller and the access through a tiny slot under the but pad was a deal breaker for me.

You can see the Diopa one on Divadanielle's (I think) project parts bin posts here on the forum.
I think the Corbin includes price includes having it painted. For what its worth

·
Registered
12 Posts
Certainly more than I hoped for with both a unit painted my bike's color and a carbon look unit! Thank you both very much. Could either of you advise if it would hold a 1 liter water bottle and a sandwich for work lunch commuting?

I also suspect they buy OEM seat pans as I have their seat set already, and totally agree the quality is exceptional and have been impressed with their service and support.

Now that I paid for both fenders from ilmberger it will be a little while before I can order my pod, hopefully before spring really opens up my riding time again.
You can definitely fit a .5 liter water bottle and sandwich. On a Sunday ride I can carry tire plug kit, pump, reading glasses, 2 masks, money clip, wallet and Glock 43x pistol.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I was surprised that it didn't seem to sit level to the BMW luggage rack installed on the model bike on their site, is it really lower than the OEM rack? Personally I like the look of the pod, and it seems like just about the right amount of storage for me. If I need more I have the BMW rack and the BMW panniers.

·
2,866 Posts
I have the Sargent seat rack, and I've installed an SW Motech tank bag ring. I use a small tank bag to stow camera & GoPro kit. I had mine black powder-coated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the Sargent seat rack, and I've installed an SW Motech tank bag ring. I use a small tank bag to stow camera & GoPro kit. I had mine black powder-coated.

I was about to suggest you could tank ring that rear rack. I have the SW-Motech on the tank (5-9L size) and ran power to it so my phone stays charged up. Great bag.

·
2,866 Posts
100% - SW-Motech Day Pack is an excellent all-round tanks bag. I've had mine for over three years now, and the tank locking ring is so robust with a hassle-free snapping into place without fail every time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The problem with this kind of bags is that it can easily be opened by thieves. I rather have a hard cover pod with a proper keylock.

I was about to consider putting the $300 into the Sargent pod aaand no way I'm paying $135 for shipping!

·
2,866 Posts
The SW-Motech tank bag or any tank bag is a tank bag. So I don't see that a problem. If security is an issue (lockable), buy a POD or a top box. If I need to leave my bike unattended, I just pop the tank bag in the top box. Alternatively, I take the bag with me as it's smaller than a tiny backpack with an excellent carry handle and there even a shoulder strap - easy peasy.

Reactions: basstodave

·
Registered
83 Posts
The SW-Motech tank bag or any tank bag is a tank bag. So I don't see that a problem. If security is an issue (lockable), buy a POD or a top box. If I need to leave my bike unattended, I just pop the tank bag in the top box. Alternatively, I take the bag with me as it's smaller than a tiny backpack with an excellent carry handle and there even a shoulder strap - easy peasy.

I totally agree with you. I already have a shad top box that stays on the bike all the time and shad panniers for long trips.
I'm more interested in the top box solution for aesthetic reasons, as a replacement for the ugly top box. All I need to fit in are rain pants, a small towel and an elastic net. I want to have them ready anytime and don't want to take them with me every time I leave my bike in the street.

·
2,866 Posts
I totally agree with you. I already have a shad top box that stays on the bike all the time and shad panniers for long trips.
I'm more interested in the top box solution for aesthetic reasons, as a replacement for the ugly top box. All I need to fit in are rain pants, a small towel and an elastic net. I want to have them ready anytime and don't want to take them with me every time I leave my bike in the street.
Yeah, understood. Good luck with the POD and please post a pic or two if you decided to proceed. Freight charges are eye-watering tho’. I know it took me a fair while to come to terms with the freight cost to here in Sydney.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is the pod really secure? Plastic right? Ten dollar locking cylinder? Other than an aluminum box securely bolted to the rack with an external and quality padlock, is anything 'secure' on a bike? Maybe for a few minute dash into a coffee shop with people milling about the parking lot. But this is of course maybe another discussion entirely.

Like mikeS said, take it with you. I won't leave my wallet and keys even in a locked plastic top box.

BTW, am I the only one that always carries a tire repair kit and mini compressor?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts