BMW R1200R Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
2,870 Posts
That looks like the opposite of the goal aimed in this thread ^^
Admittedly lager capacity rear storage is functional, but those who balance functionality and keeping weight down in the rear end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
Since the wife won't ride, and I hate the bulky look of my panniers I am thinking of buying the Sargent seat pod. It replaces the passenger seat with a 5.8l lockable storage unit that looks like a solo seat nacelle. I usually leave my panniers on for practicality but I think this would be big enough for 60% or more of my uses.

They come unpainted or "faux" carbon fiber. Which usually means it looks like crap. The guy from Sargent sent me a pic, and says it is a hydro-dip finish, which can be quite good. I have an Ilmberger hugger and front fender on order. (They will finally ship my hugger!) So I'm considering the carbon finish.

So I wonder if anyone has seen one in person with the "faux" carbon? Does it look crap and I should just buy the plain and have it painted?

Here is the pic he sent me
View attachment 110159
Just worried it might look worse in sunlight, especially being near real carbon bits.
Sargent should give you the option of returning it if it doesn't meet your expectations. I have done a fair amount of business with them since ..1997, and they have never failed to Exceed my expectations. This last time, I bought the seat before I got the bike! :)

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Sargent should give you the option of returning it if it doesn't meet your expectations. I have done a fair amount of business with them since ..1997, and they have never failed to Exceed my expectations. This last time, I bought the seat before I got the bike! :)
I've pretty much decided on an unpainted pod, most likely professionally painted. Deciding if I want red and blue stripes, and if I will buy BMW stickers to cut up for them or get them painted on. Just waiting for funding to build up now.

·
2,870 Posts
Mine got shipped today.
I think I will cover it with UV resistant, vinyl-like material. Maybe paint it later...
When it arrives, please post some pix.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My pod was delivered today!

Very good looking unit! Can't wait to test it on the bike (which is currently having its gearbox repaired by BMW).

The unpainted lid looks very good and I will may leave it as is.

Shipping was surprisely fast and the packaging was very secure and protective.
I paid a total of 52€ of various taxes for the shipping from UK, which make for 20% of the total price. still a good deal in my opinion.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Looking good, Does the key area look like it will allow water in it when riding in the rain or does the lid appear to seal that off?

·
2,870 Posts
The locking mechanism looks very strong and far stronger than a Givi top box - across-the-board very nice design. Enjoy!

·
Registered
233 Posts
A bit tough to say for certain from the pics...is it fair to say the “unpainted” finish is a gloss black/charcoal?

·
Registered
85 Posts
A bit tough to say for certain from the pics...is it fair to say the “unpainted” finish is a gloss black/charcoal?
It's certainly a glossy black, I'm not sure about the "charcoal" part though.

It's raw polycarbonate so it's the original PC color.

I think it will fit my thunder grey very well anyway.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts