BMW R1200R Forum banner

141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
OK @wasserboxer - you’ve tipped me over the edge. Hit me with a direct message (‘Conversation’) so we can close the deal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Good move Panzermann. The OE can is shockingly ugly. Once shot of it you'll be wondering why it took you so long.(y)

·
Registered
236 Posts
PZ it should arrive any day now. I picked up the 1250GS Rallye this morning rode it straight home and commenced farkling with SW Motech front and rear axle sliders, grip puppies and SW Motech headlight guard. Hit a small blip when I came to trying to fit the MaMo light bars off the R1200R, MaMo claim they're the same and should fit (unless I misread their blurb)...I'll dig a bit deeper soon, I suspect it might be more to do with my square 9 LED Rigid Industries aux lights.

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
Courtesy of @wasserboxer, the Panzer now wears a different Italian exhaust – SC Project rather than Lafranconi.

Notwithstanding others' tastes, I wasn't unhappy with the opulent chrome silencer BMW chose for the bike and (with exhaust flap set in the open position) I think its deep sound and reasonable volume give the bike presence. However I'm happy to make the Panzer look a bit sportier so when I saw wasserboxer's cast-off at a reasonable price and in excellent condition, figured I'd follow the crowd.

The video below compares the original with the SC Project, with and without decibel killer. It seems the inbuilt microphone in my Nikon D7500 doesn't do complete justice to low frequencies as the original silencer sounds more sonorous in the flesh, although it seems to have captured the sound from SC Project without db killer pretty well. The microphone was set on manual, so relative volume levels are accurate (noting the comment on low frequency sensitivity).

As expected from a shorter and less voluminous silencer, the SC Project has more of a rorty braaap sound, emphasising the sharp sounds. Without the db killer, the sound is more balanced to my ear (i.e. the lower notes start to dominate) but unfortunately the volume is rather unsociable. A quick ride with db killer installed showed that exhaust volume is substantially higher when accelerating, but not noticeable above wind noise when cruising. My seat of the pants dynamometer didn't detect the additional 2% torque at 4000 rpm, but I'm sure it was there ...

The 2017+ model is more expensive to buy and Euro4 compliance is stated. It looks bigger and is likely to sound different (and presumably has a non-removable db killer). 1250 models are not yet catalogued by SC project.

I set the silencer in the lower of the two optional fitments (where it seemed to naturally sit) to ensure clearance when panniers are fitted, but will experiment as I think it might look better titled a few more degrees upwards.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As asparaguspee says R1250R options are listed on the SC Project web site.

I bough mine from the appointed retailer in the UK HOME | Conquest Racing Ltd who are very helpful.
I went for the SCR-1, and in any case the x-plorer2 wasn't available back in march. The baffle is not removeable from the SCR-1 but I suspect it would be, as Panzermann has found with his earlier can, anti-socially loud if it was removed.

Personally I think its a better looking can then the offical BMW Akra offering. The quality is very good.
A few snaps;

141 - 146 of 146 Posts