BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I responded to a for sale thread and got a dm from another member saying that the user was in active and to email him. The email was a scam asking for money via cash app. Sadly I lost 33 dollars when they asked for more money for shipping. That's when I put the two together.

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC
169 Posts
Unfortunately, this seems to be a pattern. I had a similar experience several months ago (although I smelled a rat right away and the scammer got nothing) and reported it - I understood that the culprit was immediately banned from the forum. The seller of the item knew nothing about the scammer's DM to me and had no idea who the scammer was and we ended up making a deal.

Sorry that you have had this experience and lost money as a result - please make sure to report it to the moderators!

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
We moderators try to weed out new posters who don’t look legit. If they don’t provide a legit looking intro, and/or their first post seems to lack credible context, I have little hesitation in spam-cleaning them. If they are legit and find they’ve been banned, at worst they can simply create a new ID and try again.
My best advice is:
  • check the posting history of any seller, and
  • report any forum member who looks suspicious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts