BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. After a few miles on this helmet here goes:

1. It's outrageously, close to sickeningly expensive. No-one discounts it. Arguably the price differential between the C3pro and every other helmet is is so huge that it's very hard to justify for a standard helmet. OK, that's probably the worst thing about it.

2. It's built like an ingot, a pretty light ingot. It's not quite at the level of a Lazer Monaco, but it's light for a modular and it fits in a way that doesn't give you the impression of much weight. All the pieces seem to be finely machined and give the impression of German luxury car "feel" if you can generalize that to a helmet.

3. It has a pinlock insert. Not unique, but the anti-fog properties are better than anything else.

4. The slide down sunshade is dark enough to be usable.

5. It really is quieter, especially with earplugs. You hear cars the way you would hear them inside a car.

6. The outside shape is narrower but still fits round heads well. My guess is that the outside shape and the little "turbulator" (that's what they call them) fins on the visor makes cutting through the wind much smoother. The shape is very different from a Shoei Qwest helmet I also own, which has a more basic "bobble-head" look.

7. It really does reduce buffeting wind, and for me, in Chicago, that's a big big deal.

8. The inside seems like a combination of memory foam and microfiber. Think of a memory foam pillow with microfiber pillowcase wrapped around your head. Very comfortable.

9. The ventilation is. . .OK. You can feel it but there is no rush of air anywhere. I will reserve judgment for the summer.

10. High Viz is good, but no different from other High Viz.

11. Visibility through the visor is very clear, and if not hugely panoramic, than better than average.

12. The chin strap is a microlock ratchet, which I prefer over D-rings, which is good.

13. The chin strap is heavily padded above the strap, into the neck, which is supposed to be comfortable, but sometimes seems to push into the side of your neck a little. Gaggers beware. You can adjust the pressure using the ratchet, but I kind of wish they had made the padding on the strap a little thinner.

14. Riding on the highway with the C3-pro, you just feel more. . .well, relaxed. The world is more serene when the wind isn't pounding you and the noises are more distant.

15. I tried using the helmet with an iphone and earphones, but it seemed much noisier that way. Schuberth says 82db without earplugs, but I suspect that varies with how fat your head may be. . . .

So all in all, after the nausea-inducing price, it's a good helmet. It's not the Starhelmet Enterprise, and for that money, it should come with it's own transporter or phaser. The attention to aerodynamics makes you wonder why all helmets can't be made this well, but for considerably less money.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
All this is spot on. It is very quiet.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, informative write up. My question, what made you choose a modular design over a full face helmet design?
Being able to lift up the whole helmet at gas stations for talking or drinking water is why I chose a modular. You ever try to eat a sandwich or an apple through a conventional helmet? It isn't pretty....funny maybe but not pretty...:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I found a used C3 (not the pro) a few months ago. The previous owner only wore it a couple of times and did not like the fit. Picked it up for $440. I took about a month of use before the helmet conformed to my head. It now fits perfect. I found that opening the chin bar vent increases the noise inside the helmet. I also discovered that for me the pinlock insert did not work. It fogged over and would not clear so I took it out. That surprised me because I have a pinlock installed on my Nolan N103 and it works great. I was looking for a new helmet because the Nolan is about 4 years old. Was just about to pull the trigger on a Shoei Neotech when the C3 popped up.

I get a little claustrophobic in a full face helmet, plus I like being able to flip the chin bar up to talk to people, drink a cool beverage or eat a snack.

Before I purchased the Nolan I went to Great Britains SHARP testing site. They test modular helments where Snell does not. The Nolan was one the few modular helmets that they gave a 5 star rating to. It was also one the very few where the chin bar remained fully locked though all of their tests. The C3 did pretty good. The chin bar remained locked 97% of the time. They also only gave the C3 a 3 star rating. Their testing revealed some issues with side impacts. SHARP purchases the helmets they use for testing from an authorized dealer. That eliminates the factory building a one off just to get a high rating.

SHARP Helmets

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
You ever try to eat a sandwich or an apple through a conventional helmet? It isn't pretty....funny maybe but not pretty...:)
I can :001_tt2: lift visor, drop food in a little ways and down....think pelican.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Great post there drDave! :goodjob:A thorough review of Shuberth's new standard of excellence. Enjoy the peace and quiet. Serene and relaxed. Must admit I envy the silence. Just hope you're still able to hear that 'weeny' horn you have mounted. (lame joke)

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I just picked up my C3 Pro from BMW Motorcycles of Jacksonville; they gave me a 5% discount. Not much, but it took care of the sales tax.

In the high temperature and high humidity environment we have here in the Southeast, the ventilation is pretty good. With the top vent fully open, I can feel airflow over the top of my head. When the chin vent is open, the noise level in the helmet is higher, but at highway speeds, the chin vent can be closed and a good amount of air still flows to the face.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Being able to lift up the whole helmet at gas stations for talking or drinking water is why I chose a modular. You ever try to eat a sandwich or an apple through a conventional helmet? It isn't pretty....funny maybe but not pretty...:)
LOL! No, I can't say I have tried eating with my full face helmet on :)

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great post there drDave! :goodjob:A thorough review of Shuberth's new standard of excellence. Enjoy the peace and quiet. Serene and relaxed. Must admit I envy the silence. Just hope you're still able to hear that 'weeny' horn you have mounted. (lame joke)
Thanks Clem! :) At 139db, Clem, my add-on Stebel Nautilus causes even recently deceased drivers to avoid my bike. . .although through the helmet it sounds like a normal BMW weeny-horn.

Last week a women tried to turn into my lane. I hit the Stebel OMFG horn and she just froze, with her tires pointing but not moving. . .a block later I looked back and she was still frozen in place; hadn't even moved. As the commercial goes. . "priceless." :devil2:

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a used C3 (not the pro) I also discovered that for me the pinlock insert did not work. It fogged over and would not clear so I took it out.

SHARP Helmets
Pete,

Weird that the pinlock didn't work. I wonder whether it was old or whether it wasn't the right one for the helmet, or maybe the owner didn't peel away the protective film :) First one I've heard that didn't keep things defogged. My old Shoei Qwest has a pinlock, and it worked without a problem as well. The only issue I have with them, is that in a non-internal sunvisor helmet, you have to pick your pinlock: clear, dark grey, etc., and you can't match lighting conditions if they change.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks, informative write up. My question, what made you choose a modular design over a full face helmet design?

I also have the C3, not sure if it is the pro. It is my second modular helmet and by far the best I have experienced. In addition to reasons others have mentioned for enjoying a modular I can flip it up while riding just to spit. It sounds foolish......but......really handy. Also, as a wearer of eyeglasses I can put the helmet on with glasses on rather than trying to worm them into position, twisting and torqueing the temples between ears and skull, after helmet in place.

Regarding pin lock: Mine works better than I expected, nearly flawless other than a few times at long stops at or near freezing temps. All other features make the cost worth while and a no thing after a few months.

Bottom line, it fits my head like no other, other than one full face Arai I tried on.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tried one on two weeks ago. It's the Rolex of helmets — oozes quality and a little ostentatiousness with that spoiler. I bought a C3 from designerhelmets in 2009, and I think Schuberth fixed most, if not all, of the bugs with the refresh, notably the forehead hotspot issue.

Will look for one on fleabay next year.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Web, agreed. The forehead area is smooth with no pressure points. A little too much padding on the inside of the strap, which presses into the sides of your Adam's apple; that's the only weirdness I can find so far. This is one helmet I'm going to keep locked up in my tailbag, not hung on an external hook. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts