BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had too much riding downtime since the lockdown and got me thinking about when restrictions are lifted how can I get more ride time? Simple, for around-town just ditch the car and use my LC or 310R - probably, but for around a town, in an urban area, probably too much effort. I never thought I would ever consider a scooter, but I guess, never say never.

While the colour scheme AND that RED seat are not really age-appropriate, I really like the new Honda Cub 125.

Although in some counties there are other colour options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
And room on that little rear rack for a basket for puss!

Reactions: mikeS

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’d go for the “adventure“ version due out later this year. The rack’s big enough for a Labradoodle, for more impressive one handed wheelies.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
My first bike at age 14. 90ccs of outrageous power. Great for ripping around on the logging roads, hunting deer and partridge.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d go for the “adventure“ version due out later this year. The rack’s big enough for a Labradoodle, for more impressive one handed wheelies.

Yeah, I'll seem this version as well. I see what Honda oz have to say about new model release dates.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: sturgeon

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Nice one - I have an E-Bicycle myself but not as fancy as yours.
It hasn't seen much action yet - I picked it up over the winter as a previous-year model with a big discount. And we were still getting overnight snow as late as a week or two ago, although it was nice today. Need to get some new rubber for my wife's mountain bike so we can go together. Even though, these days, we are together 24x7. Maybe I'll sneak out tomorrow when she's Zooming or Webexing or Teaming with her work colleagues with her headset on. Could be hours before she notices I'm gone ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've had too much riding downtime since the lockdown and got me thinking about when restrictions are lifted how can I get more ride time? Simple, for around-town just ditch the car and use my LC or 310R - probably, but for around a town, in an urban area, probably too much effort. I never thought I would ever consider a scooter, but I guess, never say never.

While the colour scheme AND that RED seat are not really age-appropriate, I really like the new Honda Cub 125.

I picked up a 125 Monkey earlier this year on a lark. I believe it's the same engine as the Cub (and the Grom). I love it. I end up taking it more than half the time over my R. It's so fun and accessible and just easy. I also very much like that it won't even pretend to do freeway speeds - so I'm only using it for around town/country road stuff. It's also kinda nice to have a bike in the garage where i don't feel the need to dress up like a power ranger to ride it - just a pair of jeans, an armorless jacket, some gloves and a helmet feel perfectly fine for 35mph joy rides.

Love the looks of the Cub too - I say buy one.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I picked up a 125 Monkey earlier this year on a lark. I believe it's the same engine as the Cub (and the Grom). I love it. I end up taking it more than half the time over my R. It's so fun and accessible and just easy. I also very much like that it won't even pretend to do freeway speeds - so I'm only using it for around town/country road stuff. It's also kinda nice to have a bike in the garage where i don't feel the need to dress up like a power ranger to ride it - just a pair of jeans, an armorless jacket, some gloves and a helmet feel perfectly fine for 35mph joy rides.

Love the looks of the Cub too - I say buy one.
My son is looking at the Monkey as well. The super cub here in Oz will be released next month. From what I understand, the blue colour version will is the initial model release. I really don't like the red seat (for I guy my age), I would retrim it on black.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm a big scooter advocate, we've an aprilia Scarabeo 250 in the garage which is my wifes ride but I love taking it out also. I picked up the C400X recently when getting the R serviced, what a great scoot! With a top box you could easily spend a weekend away on it.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
I'm a big scooter advocate, we've an aprilia Scarabeo 250 in the garage
I had a 2010 Scarabeo 200 when I lived in the ACT. I used to ride it everywhere (including the Cotter) and it was great fun. Even my big bike riding mate got off of it and was impressed at how quick it was for a 200. Only downside was that it rattled your teeth over anything other than perfectly smooth roads.

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
My first wife bought a used Honda Spacy (250) during my 14 year absence from bikes. Like others testify, great fun to ride, although the rear shock on it lacked pretty much any damping so it was a little whoopsy over dips. Front end was confidence inspiring though.

·
Registered
200 Posts

My buddy Dave bought one. It's getting all kinds of hopup's right now, too include an ECU that you can program to make backfires periodically or run on Harley 'potato' timing.

Scooters are mad fun.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the post. Here in OZ 2019 was released in very little numbers. There’s no dealer stock (that I can find) and the 2020 version is due for release in July.

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
The Cub was the first powered two wheel I ever rode, around a paddock when I was probably 15 y.o. Twist and go, it was great fun - and eadier than my pushbike. It was the owner’s first bike - his next being the then newly released K750-Four. Another local bought a Mach III Kawasaki on which I got a pillion ride one day - thought I was going to die! They were the two ‘hero bikes’ in the district.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Interesting parallel history. I had a Honda Trail in my pre-drivers-license days, then a Mach III after I got my license. The latter was capable of laying down a WWII destroyer-worthy smoke screen at WOT. I loved that thing. But I'm pretty sure I would NEVER have accepted a pillion ride on one, especially not with me up front. I remember driving my soon-to-be-wife to work on occasion on it - she was an elementary school teacher, and they wore dresses in those days. She was very adept at giving me a solid thump on the side of my helmet at almost every corner, dress billowing out everywhere. The kids at her school were very impressed with wheelies. She was most decidedly not.

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
It was the long wheelie in the main street of my hometown that frightened the daylights out of me - foolishly I was just holding onto the grab rail behind my bum, and I was certain I’d tumble off the back. When the wheel finally came down and we did a u-turn, I thought I’d survived - until the process repeated on the return run.

Reactions: sturgeon and mikeS
1 - 20 of 179 Posts