BMW R1200R Forum banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
@mikeS, I happened to catch a cute little doco' on Foxtel's NHK Japan's Top Inventions wherein the mighty little Honda Cub was the topic for discussion.

Here's a link to the synopsis of the programme, but it doesn't yet seem to be available for streaming.

Compact Motorcycles - Japan's Top Inventions - TV | NHK WORLD-JAPAN Live & Programs

Created by Soichiro Honda (and I also learnt during the programme that Soichiro is pronounced Soh-ee-cheer-oh, not 'Soy-cheer-oh) way back in 1958 with over 100,000,000 now sold since then. Let's call it an average of just over 1.6 million per year (!) or 134,300 made EVERY MONTH for 62 years. It is now sold in most countries around the world and is easily the most successful motorised two-wheeled vehicle ever produced.

It was the second invention from Soichiro, the first being a small 1hp Cub F auxiliary motor mounted on the LHS of the rear axle of bicycles to provide powered assistance.

His design brief said the new 'Super Cub' had to have no less than 4 horsepower to cope with the poor state of roads in Japan. It also had to be able to be operated with one hand, so the rider's left hand could be used to hold stacked trays of soba noodles on his shoulder, as they were already doing on bicycles, and to have weather protection.

Here's an interesting article about the history of these valiant little workhorses. Just love 'em even more after reading them.

During a recent trip to Japan, my wife and I were fortunate enough to get to the Honda Collection Hall at the Twin Ring Motegi circuit in Tochigi Prefecture. And taking pride of place beside a little Honda S600 sports car in the main entrance was one of the original Super Cubs, complete with the red seat. Very cool!

Maybe one of these in your future MikeS?

Enjoy folks!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
If I may, Tony, you should not have mentioned those soba noodles, as I foresee Mike the Malnourished trundling along scoffing a bowl of same on his Cub! Nice little story - makes a change from dogs and - err - those other four-legged things...

Reactions: mikeS

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
On the return leg on my morning walk, I stop by my local just to keep the energy levels up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
On the return leg of my morning walk..
;)
Morning walk from where - your bedroom to the nearby caff...???

Reactions: mikeS

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #146

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
@mikeS, I happened to catch a cute little doco' on Foxtel's NHK Japan's Top Inventions wherein the mighty little Honda Cub was the topic for discussion.

Here's a link to the synopsis of the programme, but it doesn't yet seem to be available for streaming.

Compact Motorcycles - Japan's Top Inventions - TV | NHK WORLD-JAPAN Live & Programs

Created by Soichiro Honda (and I also learnt during the programme that Soichiro is pronounced Soh-ee-cheer-oh, not 'Soy-cheer-oh) way back in 1958 with over 100,000,000 now sold since then. Let's call it an average of just over 1.6 million per year (!) or 134,300 made EVERY MONTH for 62 years. It is now sold in most countries around the world and is easily the most successful motorised two-wheeled vehicle ever produced.

It was the second invention from Soichiro, the first being a small 1hp Cub F auxiliary motor mounted on the LHS of the rear axle of bicycles to provide powered assistance.

His design brief said the new 'Super Cub' had to have no less than 4 horsepower to cope with the poor state of roads in Japan. It also had to be able to be operated with one hand, so the rider's left hand could be used to hold stacked trays of soba noodles on his shoulder, as they were already doing on bicycles, and to have weather protection.

Here's an interesting article about the history of these valiant little workhorses. Just love 'em even more after reading them.

During a recent trip to Japan, my wife and I were fortunate enough to get to the Honda Collection Hall at the Twin Ring Motegi circuit in Tochigi Prefecture. And taking pride of place beside a little Honda S600 sports car in the main entrance was one of the original Super Cubs, complete with the red seat. Very cool!

Maybe one of these in your future MikeS?

Enjoy folks!
Many thanks for your post, Tony; I really enjoyed reading all the design history. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Next bike, mike?

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #149

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Nice find LOS but I would have to add a little more bling...
As has been suggested on the R9T Forum where I also posted this pic (to loud cries of 'too much already') the snorkel tube could usefully be covered with diamante or some such. I've christened it the Kim Kardashian version...

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Had some catch-up work at the office yesterday and took the CUB.
The GIVI 27 litre top box I fitted last Sunday is just big enough to fit my Shoei Neo helmet & gloves so no need to drag them with me from the car park... Perfect!

I should have gone straight home as we had guests coming over got dinner, but given that I was out, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to put a few more clicks on the CUB. I stayed out a bit longer than planned (no plan really), and got home just before dark with enough time to shower, change and decant the wine before the dinner guest arrived. I am so lucky to have an understanding wife because most would've been upset for turning up late (again). Not mine, she didn't say a word to me all night - how good is that...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ah yes, the Signficant Other's tried and true 'screaming at you in silence' trick. Very familiar with it myself...on the receiving end...

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
“Do whatever you want, Michael ...” 😂

·
Registered
21 Posts
Still don't have the panniers mounted yet on teh R so my guess is we will ride the C650 Sport to church and lunch about 20mi. away. We took it last Sunday too. It is a nice ride 2 up for a Sunday drive. It would be a capable 1 up tourer.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
For a moment you had me second-guessing @herdygerdy... Could I be in bad-books? But Panzer’s comment sorted - that's exactly what my wife tells say ” do whatever you want, Mike” as a good husband, I always follow her instruction to the letter and so I do whatever I like. I'm such a good bloke...what a catch - lucky women.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Not mine, she didn't say a word to me all night - how good is that...

Never EVER forget, you Blokes - 'speech is silver, but silence is golden'.

PS - mikeS - howzat Honda you recently bought? We are all-agog for results, reports, impressions, etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
mikeS - howzat Honda you recently bought?
I was out at CMC the other day picking up a new Road 5 front tyre (for the first time, I had to haggle for the $15 non-fitted discount I normally get) and took the opportunity to kick some other tyres in the showroom. There was Mike's model next to its equivalent 1000 cc version and, but for the 650 sticker and smaller diameter exhaust pipes, you wouldn't have picked it as a smaller capacity sibling. In details, it actually looked a bit more integrated

There was also a 2004 Ducati 749 in pristine condition and a couple tasteful mods, with only 6,000 km on the clock and an asking price of $10k. They weren't a popular model in their time due to the more angular styling compared with the 916 era bikes, but they're actually better in ergos and handling. Kate was rather enamoured with it, but I already have too many toys/hobbies/pastimes. Maybe if I got off this forum I'd have more time ...

Reactions: sturgeon

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
The 916 would be my all-time fave Ducati - positively orgasmic. Again - returning to my too-often musings about 'why is it so?' - this Duc has a less-than-mere (one might say merer) 375km per year on it, rather leaving in the shade that R9T I just posted at 433km per year. Positively over-used and over-worked.:cool:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, MikeS, very keen to hear your thoughts on your newest 'liddle sis-fiddy' from Soichiro. Looks a very sweet little bike for sure...

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Some of my pals and I were just discussing a 'group buy' of a bunch of Hunter Cubs, should we manage to convince a dealer to bring some in. So far, 10 or so of us have expressed some interest. One among us works for a multi-brand dealer, and word from him is that Honda Canada polled the dealers about this model, and decided not to import it after being told it wouldn't sell. I ain't holdin' my breath, but a Cub gang would be a hilarious counterpoint to the local cruiser 1% crowd. We could be the 99%-ers.

141 - 160 of 179 Posts