BMW R1200R Forum banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Just a quick update on the CUB - this little machine is growing on me more and more after every ride. I have come to appreciate and comprehend the basic design concepts. It's truly is a little gem.

While I initially loved the look of CUB, I was, well, to be perfectly honest, a little self-conscious about CUB looking so pretty/sweat/hipsterish for my vintage. But, with some ride-clicks under my belt, and of course, mothballing the very bright red seat; I'm comfortable out-and-about, and okay with comments (attracts lots of attention) - good/bad/indifferent. All the design & esthetics aside, the little CUB is such a capable and totally practical little suburban runabout. For around town, it's lite, easy to park and with enough power to keep well up with traffic flow. I would recommend this little machine to anyone looking for a little machine to commute or just tool around town.

Although my initial thought for the CUB’s was strictly a suburban run-about, however, it's so much more than that to me now. I'm happy to head off for a days ride, and as long as I manage the limited fuel range to knock out two or three hundred clicks with no hesitation. It keeps up with traffic (legal speed limits) and even on motorways speed limits its surprisingly stable cruising on 110kph.

It did a take a few hundred clicks to get used to the handling with the short wheelbase, but once I got over that, I'm now happy to push the near front-end limits (within reason) into a set of twisties. From what it is, it's so well planted, and with a few suspension tweaks, and perhaps different tyres could be more impressive. The front ABS brakes does a nice job and doesn't want to stand up under load to the corners.

All-in-all very happy and now seriously considering placing an order on one of the first Aussie Honda CT125. That said, my little C125 is a keeper - as LoS would say... Noice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sturgeon

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I am profoundly concerned about mikeS's inability/ unwillingness to tell us all about his new Honda CB650 R. Has he succumbed roadside to lack of nourishment? Has his love affair with the CUB blinded him to the possible delights of the CB? Has Mrs S purloined the 650 so as to be able to keep up with mike as he wends his way slowly and wobblingly around Sinney? Has Nigel taken off in a huff?

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
Nice find LOS but I would have to add a little more bling...
Something like Louis Vuitton upholstery, perhaps?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Now that's more like it!

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Fear, not Los, I was a little reluctant to post too much off-topic stuff or should say none BMW bike reviews. Unlike many here, and not mentioning names (Panzer), you will not see me posting photos of giving a pooch a hair cut or crapy house painting reports... really...

However, seeing you asked, I am very impressed with the CB650R. I've been looking (thinking) of snapping up middleweight 4 x pot naked bike for ages. I was happy with the G310R but at 160kgs wet, it didn't have enough versatility to maintain a place in the shed. I've only done a few clicks on it, but so far; I like this little ride. It's lite, very clickable and so easy to ride. At just over 200kgs it's just on my maximum weight limit I was looking for, but honestly, out on the road, it feels lighter than the 310 and better balanced. It turns in to corners willing and feels effortless cruising along at highway speed.

Here a small clip I took on my first ride:

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Quoite noice, moike - thanks for (eventually) sharing. Compared to the slow and easy manner of the R1200 R I imagine that your left foot is doing a bit of a tap-dance on the gear-lever as you proceed to your next nosherie. Do you plan a small fly-catcher screen? I have thus far not been able to find one of these Hondas in-store, but must try harder. Enjoy it/ them all...(y)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks for sharing iniitial thoughs. At the risk of opening Pandora's box, @mikeS, is your new 'sisfiddy' the LAMS approved model or the 'full Monty' version? Is the 'full Monty' version even available in this wide brown land?

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Thanks, Los. All this tinker-toy riding has left feeling a little undergone in the horsepower stakes. I've decided to head off this Thursday for a 4-day ride on the LC. The plan (thought) so far is head up north to thunderbolt way, the Oxley, Walcha and an overnight stop in Tamworth. Looking forward meal at one of my favourite Indian Restaurant in the New England area. Friday (coffee first) up the highway to Armidale and onto Waterfall Way to Bellingen and an overnight stop at Port Macquarie... Probably an espresso martini after dinner or two. An early start in Port and catch-up with a mate who owns a cafe in Wauchope then get into the 44k of back-to-back twisties (300 corners) and hoping to do two laps and then an overnight stop in Armidale and home the next day.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Thanks for sharing iniitial thoughs. At the risk of opening Pandora's box, @mikeS, is your new 'sisfiddy' the LAMS approved model or the 'full Monty' version? Is the 'full Monty' version even available in this wide brown land?
My CB650R is a LAMS approved model @herdygerdy. The other model is CB650F and still, LAMS approved. The F is a little more upright than the R.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I didn't know there are two versions... assumed (which one should never do) that the F was simply the superseded model preceding the R.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Hey LoS:

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #172

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
I didn't know there are two versions... assumed (which one should never do) that the F was simply the superseded model preceding the R.

The F and R would seem to be pretty much identical, Lawrence, but for the mini fairing on the F and the neo-retro styling of the R. Maybe ‘F’ for fairing and ‘R’ for retro (surely not Roadster ...)

I much prefer the R.

Both may be found in Honda’s LAMS section on their web site. We would have killed for a bike of such calibre as our first bike, back in the day (not that we could have afforded it ...).

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Hey LoS:

I have often used that visual aid when lecturing, mikeS, hence my saying that one should never assume! But of course I would never harangue a woman in that manner!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
The F and R would seem to be pretty much identical, Lawrence, but for the mini fairing on the F and the neo-retro styling of the R. Maybe ‘F’ for fairing and ‘R’ for retro (surely not Roadster ...)

I much prefer the R.

Both may be found in Honda’s LAMS section on their web site. We would have killed for a bike of such calibre as our first bike, back in the day (not that we could have afforded it ...).

View attachment 108072

I wonder if mikeS considered other options in that general space in the market (~3/4 of a litre, nekked, sporty, lightweight) before deciding on the Honda - not that there's anything wrong with it I'm sure. Yamaha's triple MT-09 sportsbike (NOT the lightly-touring Tracer variant) comes to mind...

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #176

I much prefer the R.

View attachment 108072
In the metal, to my eye, the R just has much cleaner lines, but if I only had one bike in the shed; I would probably go with the F. I have no plans to install a screen, but an Akrapovic full system is on my list.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was going to take the R but It is still in local shop for maintenance so we took the C650 Sport 2 up to a HOG ride at the local HD shop for Father's Day. We sign the waivers and I tell them someone always has to screw it up by bringing German scooter thrash. :) Short ride out to Grapevine lake and back and upon return, we had several guys ask about it - How fast, is it smooth, etc. Wifey begins to tell the 2 guys about her comfort level and that she has a heated seat.
We then headed over to the local BMW shop where the ride truck was there. I wanted to try the R1250R and compare it to my 08 R but it was already taken for the next ride so I hopped on the F900R and I gotta say, not impressed. It was more buzzy than my scooter. I mean sure the info. screen is nice but the motor was much like the F800R I had. We rode the scoot back home for lunch. It appears Corona screwed us out of hot dogs, drinks, and chips at the dealer.
Ending the day by taking out my Infiniti Q50 out to Twin Peaks to watch the UFC fights. Caging it is not bad when rain is predicted and you got 300HP, RWD, and cold AC in a TX summer.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Caging it is not bad when rain is predicted and you got 300HP, RWD, and cold AC in a TX summer.
It's a tough ole life, innit?

Reactions: sharky

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #179 (Edited)
Saturday morning plan was a quick ride on the CUB, coffee at my local and then a few hours at the office to finish off year-end stuff. However, as I approach the office carpark, I made a snap decision to give the office the flick. Given the CUB’s limited fuel range, I needed to manage fuel range/stops but still managed to cover 350Ks for the day with lots along the way. My route from home base Sydney inner-west and snaking in-and-around some of my Southern Highlands backroads with one spirited run-up minnamurra falls twisties.

As an added bonus for the day, I discovered this little gem in Thirlmere to add to my coffee/lunch stops. Over the years there’s has been several greasy spoon/chew n’ spew fast/fried joints popular with locals. The new owners have gone all-out to develop the site and create a unique little coffee. There’s no indoor seating with all the seating outside in the rustic Aussie styled courtyard.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts