BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had a spare Saturday and tried on the different screens I've got. Looks like the Ztchnik is the one I'll stick with.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #2
I've done a few trips to work with the new screen and although it definitely provides more protection it is slightly noisy at 60-70 mph. I took her up to 100 and it was perfect but I don't think I'd keep my license for long at those speeds. I'm planning on fitting an MRA spoiler, has anyone else tried one?

Premium Member
I've done a few trips to work with the new screen and although it definitely provides more protection it is slightly noisy at 60-70 mph. I took her up to 100 and it was perfect but I don't think I'd keep my license for long at those speeds. I'm planning on fitting an MRA spoiler, has anyone else tried one?

Is that mounted to the top of an existing windscreen? What purpose would that serve?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
It has brackets that are bolted to the top of the screen. The blade itself can then be adjusted for height and angle. It's supposed to deflect the air more up and over the head. I got a bargain when I bought the screen so I don't mind spending the extra for the add on.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
MRA spoiler fitted an it looks good (to me). I'll find out tomorrow how effective it is.

Premium Member
I've got the gizmo that Wonderlich sells, which works on the same principle. It does make a clear difference reducing the noise to your helmet/face area. That said, it's a bit GoldWing-ish; kind of dorky. I'm still using it, but I lose coolness points.

Premium Member
I've got the gizmo that Wonderlich sells, which works on the same principle. It does make a clear difference reducing the noise to your helmet/face area. That said, it's a bit GoldWing-ish; kind of dorky. I'm still using it, but I lose coolness points.
Bah, as long as you like it....

Registered
screen debate

i hope everyone who is interested in windscreens reads this..

the 1200r is a NAKED bike, so if you're thinking about getting one of those big, high, and frankly pretty ugly screens, DON'T. the bike is not meant to give you the ultimate in comfort against wind, it's a naked bike and that's what we love about it, the lines, the cool factor, the unencumbered engineering, the style, and of course the performance.

i have the "touring" screen that BMW offers for this bike and it does provide some buffering against wind at speed, and i've gotten used to feeling the wind on the highway, but it fits the bike and while i don't love the looks, it's a necessary compromise or a guy who uses his bike to tour, alot. it's a small price to pay to maintain the great looks of the "r" while giving some resistance to wind.

let's all face it, what the bike looks like MATTERS, and those high, after market screens ruin the true DNA and character of this bike. my screen is as big as i'd ever want on this bike. ok i'm done now:001_tt1:

Premium Member
Easy for you to say, but if you live on Planet Chicago, as do I, a few aesthetic compromises are necessary to stay alive on a bike. If I lived wherever that picture was taken I could rale with impunity. As it is, I'm not raling...

Registered
fair point dr dave, that photo is from highway 1 in central california, and while the weather is very motorcycle friendly, before moving here a year ago i spent 2 years riding the R on the east coast where it was plenty windy and cold and the screen did just enough to help me stay planted while not ruining the aesthetics of our beloved R.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
rebobd, not sure from your post whether you're for or against screens. I agree some screens look like barn doors but my Ztechnik looks good (to me) and doesn't spoil the lines of the bike.

Registered
i'm ok with screens

within reason. the bike is a naked bike and it's a great looking, well engineered bike with great lines. i just think the screens out there that are not OEM or wunderlich take away the DNA of the R. as you can see i have a screen and it provides enough protection without ruining the bike's character. that's all i'm sayin :p

Premium Member
I'll settle for a little less character to go with a little less hypothermia. . .I was raised in New York, and while it's cold during the winter, it's nothing like the literal arctic blasts that you get down the center of the country, e.g., where I live now, in Chicago.

I would love to live in California or Florida and waggle my middle finger at those poor schlumps who deface their bikes with a windscreen. But IMO, the R12r is a good looking bike, with or without a screen. It's not a plastic covered toy like the RS or the K16.

I think a lot of us like this bike, as you do, Rebobd, because it has that (quoting someone here) "steam-punk" mechanical vibe to it. But with or without a screen,that vibe is still there just fine.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #15
:iagree:

Premium Member
Well, Rebobd, I think we like the bike aesthetically for different reasons. I think it's OK as a roadster, but there are a lot of good looking roadsters. . .

On the other hand, the bike looks like something Neal Stephenson would have come up with in one of his steampunk SF novels; with its gothic 18th century struts, extruded motor casing, mechanical weirdness combined with awesome technical now-ness and bulletproof reliability. . .That . . is what I think is so great about this bike's style.

Registered
well said dr dave, well said indeed, now if only i know who neal stephenson was i'd feel a whole lot smarter....:)
Start by reading "Snow Crash" , and then "Cryptonomicon". Entertaining reads and you learn from them too :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts