BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!
I just bought my 2012 Classic a new sport seat (I't feel better for me) and a Wunderlich seat bag to go with it :)

I'm thinking of doing some touring next summer and I definately need panniers too. But I personally do not like those bulky hard cases. To me the R1200R is a naked bike that can tour. So I found these panniers from SW-Motech. To me they look great and most importantly the supports can be removed easily for a aesthetically pleasing naked bike look :001_wub:

So any thoughts and / or observations about this from you real touring guys? Am I missing something here? I'm new to this touring thing, all tough I've been riding for 19 years. The BMW is the first bike that in my mind will do this very well (shaft drive, mild consumption, good ergos, etc).

Attachments

Premium Member
The bags look good and if they're big enough for your needs that's all you need. I struggle with the large BMW panniers, topbox and tank bag when I do a 2 week tour, but then I have a wife that likes to take the kitchen sink.

Premium Member
Agree with Dave on "if they're big enough for your needs that's all you need"

I don't really tour that much, and most of the long trips I do are to someones home, so I bring just 2 clothes changes and washed them if need it, my trips to DC need only one backpack that can fin on one of my saddlebags.

You mentioned the supports can be removed easily, but while on the bike thay look ugly:

The BMW saddle bags are awesome, also water proof, and when removed, you really don't see any big racks or anything that resembles mounting points, keeping the bike looking naked and sharp.

Another really important thing (at least for me) is that if you have the Beemer cases, all you need is one key for both and the ignition, and you can park your bike and lock those cases, don't think you can do that with the fabric bags.

DrDave found this "citylids" online, and are a slim replacement of the original Beemer cases. That can be one choice if the large ones bother you.

Check this link: http://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw-r1200r-appearance-10/city-lids-1216/

Here is a picture of my cases

Here is one of DrDave's citylids

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
DJ_Fission I was wondering if that is the BMW sport seat? In the picture you've posted, it almost looks like that seat bag is integrated into the seat. Very cool!
Yes that is the oem sport seat. The Wunderlich bag fits like a glove :D

DrDave found this "citylids" online, and are a slim replacement of the original Beemer cases. That can be one choice if the large ones bother you.
I'll look into these. Being water proof is very important and these do look better than the oem cases imo.

Thanks guys! :)

Registered
Similar to you I also prefer smaller luggage for my R. I also am a big fan of hard bags since they are water proof and lockable. I went with the SW-Motech racks with GIVI mounts.

Racks can easily be removed with 4 screws and only the mounts remain:

Premium Member
Nice thing about the City Lids is that they use the original BMW large case insides, so you can have the same key for the bags and the ignition. You can also swap back in the Hausfrau fatso lids for longer trips.

Registered
...if they're big enough for your needs that's all you need.
It is a truth universally proven that the more carrying capacity you have, the more you'll pack in! Rule #1 for packing for a long trip is: place everything you plan to take on your bed. Rule #2 - remove half of it and start again!

I went solo around Oz (a five-week 15,000km ride) with a small 40L case on the back of the bike, and it was plenty. So long as you can have a stop every few days to wash out stuff and dry it (forget ironing!) you'll get by.

My current luggage set-up on the new R1200R is the BMW Small Soft Bag, which has a capacity of about 34L according to my rough calculations. That will do me for at least two or three weeks on the road. Shoes for wearing off the bike are the killer, being so bulky and heavy. I make do with a pair of very light very soft slip-ons, which fold up, and I reduce their impact even more by putting my mobile phone and charger inside one shoe, and camera and charger inside the other: it also gives these items a little more protection from vibration, etc.

Enjoy the rides! L of S

Registered
My only regret with factory side panniers is I don't think they are big enough and the cost is extraordinary. I feel like they cut the wind better and if an aftermarket system is easier to manipulate I probably wouldn't trust it as the factory is wonderfully simple and secure.

Registered
hmm nice panniers, but I don't like those small one which are made by fabric... I think they are not much strong to bear the hard weather.. but I like these plastic panniers because they looking nice. Thanks for sharing the photos.. the bike is also very lovely.

Registered
Hello guys!
I'm thinking of doing some touring next summer and I definately need panniers too. But I personally do not like those bulky hard cases. To me the R1200R is a naked bike that can tour. So I found these panniers from SW-Motech. To me they look great and most importantly the supports can be removed easily for a aesthetically pleasing naked bike look :001_wub:

So any thoughts and / or observations about this from you real touring guys? Am I missing something here? I'm new to this touring thing, all tough I've been riding for 19 years. The BMW is the first bike that in my mind will do this very well (shaft drive, mild consumption, good ergos, etc).

My thoughts: everything I have put on my R1200R has detracted from the look that drew me to it in the first place. The flip side is they have added to the function and allow me to do more with the bike and I do not look at it while riding. The SW Motech removable aspect is great and allows many options. The bags in your picture are functionally great and I considered them as well, but I prefer hard bags for security and hopefully never for impact resistance.

As far as touring. I have toured with my comparably sized Givi E21 and a 30 liter duffle with rain cover; then a tent and sleeping bag strapped to the seat with extra layer of clothing for weather changes strapped to the top of it all; oh yah and a quick release tank bag. This has worked well for me for nearly one week trips as test runs for my upcoming (sometime next year) 4-6 week trip around the CONUS, which will require either an additional duffle or a larger one. I know others who carry twice as much for a weekend.

Registered
I have a 2+ week trip coming up the first week of August. I will be camping and staying in motels. I went on a weekend shake down trip a few weeks ago and found that while I can get everything (except the tent poles) in the OEM hard bags, the one with the camping stuff in it was packed really tight...to tight for my liking. The tent poles were bungeed to the back seat. So I searched around and the Saddlemen TS3200DE. I can get all of my camping gear in it, including the poles. I now have way more storage than I will ever need. The TS3200DE mounts to the rear seat with a couple of straps that crisscross under the seat. It takes less than 5 minutes to put it on and take it off.

Saddlemen TS3200DE Deluxe Cruiser Tail Bag - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

I have a three day adventure coming up in a couple of weeks. No camping, two nights in a motel. I can get everything I will need for that trip in the TS3200DE and will use it instead of mounting the OEM hard bags. In fact, I think that I will use the OEM bags only when camping is involved.

The TS3200DE was inexpensive. It will hold a ton of stuff. There are no special mounting brackets needed. It does work as a backrest. You need to be a little flexible to get on and off the bike, but I am 66 and I have no problem.

Down side is it is not waterproof. You will need to put items you do not want to get wet in plastic bags or containers. For me that is not a biggie.

Registered
Sport seat for R1200R

Hi Jokerdef,

I know I am a little late to your thread, but I am strongly considering swapping my Monster S4RT for an R1200R. I need something to travel on, but have something to ride in the mountains when I get there.

The local dealer has a "Dark White" R1200R that comes with the sport seat. So, after 2 years, is your sport seat comfortable for you on long (2 to 4 hour) trips for you?

Registered
I have a 2007 R12R bike and I bought it without the saddle bags,just a tank bag.But after a while I knew,I needed bags to travel with stuff and bought the bags for 1000 Dollars.yes the bike does not look good with the bags,but I need them for distant travels. For short trips the bags are never attached to the bike

Registered
I am using the Givi PLR series mounts and matching bags. They conform to the bike instead of being a big box stuck way out there. In my mind the BMW would be the best for ease of use but I saved $400 going this route and am happy with it. The mounts remove in about 15 seconds.

Registered
Hi guys,

Did ayone run into slim profile panniers? I know there's some leather bags available like Linea MCJ:

But 500EUR and not-the-best reputation of producer...

Maybe some nylon panniers producers?

I'm only need to travel with laptop and needed space is about 40x35x5cm and do not like bulky look of bmw originals.

Registered
Hi guys,

Did ayone run into slim profile panniers? I know there's some leather bags available like Linea MCJ:

But 500EUR and not-the-best reputation of producer...

Maybe some nylon panniers producers?

I'm only need to travel with laptop and needed space is about 40x35x5cm and do not like bulky look of bmw originals.
These may look good on a horse. Not so much on a motorcycle imo.

Registered
Yes that is the oem sport seat. The Wunderlich bag fits like a glove :D
Hi,

Can you please post a picture of the underside of your seat with the Wunderlich tailbag base on? Or tell me the length (mm) of the straps underneath.

I have this bag but the straps don't reach. Albeit, I bought this bag originally for an F650GS. Maybe there are two bases for the bag. But Wunderlich says that the bag only fits their seat.

Thanks in advance.

Registered
RAck system for your Givi cases

Hi Fudge,

I just joined , having bought a 2011 R1200R
I have the same cases from another bike
What rack system are you using to hold the cases ?
Thanks,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts