BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My seat lock has detached itself from the underside of the rear cover. Only way to release the seat is to jam in a thin blade to hold the lock while inserting the key.
Any ideas beyond a complete rebuild??

ERIC

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
My seat lock has detached itself from the underside of the rear cover. Any ideas beyond a complete rebuild??
ERIC
There are many here who would claim this to be a perfect reason to buy a new bike...

L of S

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seat lock fall

:crying:My 2006 Seat lock has fall itself back into the rear cover.

The way to release the seat is to jam in a thin hook cable to hold the lock while inserting the key.
after remove the seat, found there is no fix screw for the seat lock set. Do not know how can it can be fix back ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Seat Lock

Looks like #12 has 2 fasteners.
Remove seat and carefully disassemble from the top down.
You'll likely need dealer to order that part, unless you're a 3-D printer expert.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I searched the forum but have found nothing on this so far. I have owned BMWs for about 30 years but never had this problem. My seat lock cylinder has fallen into the area below the tail light. Any ideas on how to manually release seat catch so that I can lift seat and start taking things apart to fix this? 2007 R1200R

I can imagine using a flathead screw driver to press catch open but not sure where, which direction to push, etc,

Many thanks in advance for any help.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,787 Posts
The lock mechanism operates a Bowden cable that releases a latch that catches on a rear surface of the underside of the seat - don't know exactly where. see diagram Diagram #46_1071 at this link.

If you could locate the Bowden cable through the lock aperture and grip it (say with long-nosed pliers) then pull on it, you may be able to release the catch.

Reactions: JellyRoll

·
Registered
11 Posts
The lock mechanism operates a Bowden cable that releases a latch that catches on a rear surface of the underside of the seat - don't know exactly where. see diagram Diagram #46_1071 at this link.

If you could locate the Bowden cable through the lock aperture and grip it (say with long-nosed pliers) then pull on it, you may be able to release the catch.
Thanks Panzermann. I did some more research yesterday and it seems like the latch is right about where the passenger seat section meets the rider seat section. I'm going to try to move it back with a flathead screwdriver.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts