BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks.

I fixed this today and will post some notes in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

1. Unscrewing the two rearmost screws holding the rear fender liner (from beneath) allows to one to (gently) twist and work the liner down far enough to fish the lock and cable through.

2. Once the seat is open, remove all of the rear bodywork except for the fender liner. This means pulling the luggage rack/bag mounts, etc. This takes a long time but it's just a lot of screws and some bolts. Eventually you will get to the "box" above the fender liner where the lock is located.

3. My lock bracket had just broken at the two (very shallow) plastic posts which normally hold it to the rear plastic "box". It's a flimsy design and I expect others may run into this problem over time. The lock assembly itself (tumbler, cable arm, etc.) mounts into the lock bracket with two screws.

4. I used a two-part epoxy to glue the bracket back in place not just at the broken posts but across both lower plates at the bottom of the bracket. I then was able to drill one hole from above (drill access is tricky) and installed a bolt with washers which passes through the "rear box" (near the lock), the bracket and the lock assembly. That should make things pretty secure.

Sorry that I did not make pictures. I am in a bit of a rush getting ready for a trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wouldn’t it be great if this was a case of let or not let? Alas, the mount is weak and so it may well break after some number of usage cycles. Riders who want to reinforce this now, to be ahead of the possible failure, may want to drill and through-bolt the mount and latch now. Of course, I don’t know if this is a weak spot on other R12R generations, other models (such as the RT) from the same time period, etc.

Cheers,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I lay out a fix for this in this thread: https://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/b...chat-8/seat-lock-fell-how-release-seat-54795/

Mine had fallen completely into the "box" area below the tail light. Based on how flimsy the factory attachment is, I think others may run into this problem over time. I recommend through-bolting the lock bracket and lock surround (to the outside of the "box" next to the hole for the key cylinder) as I discuss in the linked thread. If the bracket has already broken off, I also recommend re-attaching the flat "plates" of the bracket to the box with 2-part water resistant epoxy.

Since the factory attachment system is weak and prone to fail, I think it is better to modify this than to buy new BMW parts which work the same way. The new parts, I believe, would eventually fail in the same way. The design itself is the problem. The cylinder stays mounted to the bracket (via two screws) but the bracket itself breaks away. Actually, it would have been better if BMW had used bolts to mount the cylinder assembly to the bracket (rather than machine screws that thread into plastic) but that part of the system seems to hold OK.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,375 Posts
Two similar Seat Lock threads merged.
Cheers, Dave

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks.

I fixed this today and will post some notes in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

1. Unscrewing the two rearmost screws holding the rear fender liner (from beneath) allows to one to (gently) twist and work the liner down far enough to fish the lock and cable through.

2. Once the seat is open, remove all of the rear bodywork except for the fender liner. This means pulling the luggage rack/bag mounts, etc. This takes a long time but it's just a lot of screws and some bolts. Eventually you will get to the "box" above the fender liner where the lock is located.

3. My lock bracket had just broken at the two (very shallow) plastic posts which normally hold it to the rear plastic "box". It's a flimsy design and I expect others may run into this problem over time. The lock assembly itself (tumbler, cable arm, etc.) mounts into the lock bracket with two screws.

4. I used a two-part epoxy to glue the bracket back in place not just at the broken posts but across both lower plates at the bottom of the bracket. I then was able to drill one hole from above (drill access is tricky) and installed a bolt with washers which passes through the "rear box" (near the lock), the bracket and the lock assembly. That should make things pretty secure.

Sorry that I did not make pictures. I am in a bit of a rush getting ready for a trip.
Can you please guide me with few pictures or a short video? This just happened to me and there is no BMW Motorrad in the area. The bike is a BMW R1200R classic 2011. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's the seat lock under the rear lamp. When I try to insert the key the barrel is pushed in, so I have to try to hold it still witha sharp blade while inserting the key...cumbersome!
My seat lock just fell in too! I managed to open the seat by inserting a long flat blade screw driverinto the latch tongue from the left hand side sidecover and push open the latch. The lock barrel and mechanism was only secured to the rear guard with what looks like double sided tape? (Original fitment) the heat had released the bond and the mechanism fell in. I have now removed the rear guard and will reglue the lock in place. All good!

·
Registered
19 Posts
people ALL you have to do is go underneath the bike- {bottom side of fender} undo the 4 screw T25 i think an u can then access the seat lock and gorillia glue it back in place.... just that easy OR take it to a bmw dealer and pay what-- $200.00 bux?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My seat lock has detached itself from the underside of the rear cover. Only way to release the seat is to jam in a thin blade to hold the lock while inserting the key.
Any ideas beyond a complete rebuild??

ERIC
Ok. You must remove 5 bolts from th plastic which forms the floor of the seat compartment, then from either side you must remove 2 bolts from side fairings, and that plastic seat compartment bottom should move downwards, take a good flashlight and you will easily locate a locking fin of seat release mechanism, reach it with hand and push backwards and seat should come of. Sorry for the names I'm not familiar with part names.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts