BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 BMW R1200R Metallic Red Apple
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 R1200R I'm almost 6 ft tall and my knees feel a bit cramped. I'm trying a friend's gel seat pad to raise me up and add some comfort, and while it's a bit better it's bot as good as i hoped. I'd prefer not to drop $400+ on a high seat. Can anyone share their experiences with seat pads on the K27 bike? What worked, what didn't?

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,568 Posts
I've got a BMW comfort seat covered by an Airhawk inflatable seat cover and a sheepskin seat cover which collectively work well for me.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: Chad66

·
Registered
59 Posts
While the long-term solution is a custom saddle, I have been surprised by how well the Airhawk seat pad works. I like the bike enough that I will probably have a custom seat made, but for now the Airhawk works well. If you're even considering paying $400 for the high seat, I would suggest spending a little more to have your existing pan built into a custom seat by a manufacturer who guarantees their work, like Russell Day-Long, Seth Laam or one of the other reputable custom saddle builders.

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT
160 Posts
Good points. Also, if you are considering the BMW seat, remember you can always buy BMW parts and accessories at a discount (15-20%) at Bob’s BMW if you watch their promotions, or directly from BMW during their annual Black Friday sales event.

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
159 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
This looks interesting:
At $230 for the cover and another $70-100 (?) to have it installed by an upholstery shop, it seems like it would make more sense to just take the seat to a local automotive upholsterer, explain what you're looking for, and have them take a crack at it - they could cover it with new material if the stock cover doesn't provide enough leeway. The shape of the seat with that cover installed doesn't seem dramatically different from the stock saddle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That is certainly another option. I've reupholstered several myself with a harbor freight air stapler. Putting on a pre fit cover is dead easy. Shaping foam, not so much. Unless it's a simple shape, that can be very tricky. I'm not good at that yet. My 2016 cover doesn't have enough material to add any padding.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked up a used seat made by Rich's Custom Seats. It's added about 2" of height (33.5") and now sits taller than the high comfort seat. With a 32" inseam I can just flat foot when stopped. My knees are sooo happy!

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
159 Posts
I picked up a used seat made by Rich's Custom Seats. It's added about 2" of height (33.5") and now sits taller than the high comfort seat. With a 32" inseam I can just flat foot when stopped. My knees are sooo happy!
We want pictures! :giggle:

Reactions: pbansen

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another consideration with a "custom" seat is the ability to increase the size of the drivers platform especially when having the seat height raised. I did not need the height increased, but I did want a better density of foam to improve the comfort of the seat. I found that the stock foam was only good for about a hour of riding before it became necessary to stop and stretch. I went with a reworked seat foam & upholstery on a stock seat pan from Sargent, which is available in two heights (low & regular) the heights quoted on their site are "Approx", I ended up with a low +1/2" which I found to be very close to the standard height factory seat. The low + 1" their original recommendation was higher than the stock seat and had me more on my toes than the balls of my feet with both feet down (29" inseam). On my previous bikes I had Corbin seats, comfortable but heavy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another consideration with a "custom" seat is the ability to increase the size of the drivers platform especially when having the seat height raised. I did not need the height increased, but I did want a better density of foam to improve the comfort of the seat. I found that the stock foam was only good for about a hour of riding before it became necessary to stop and stretch. I went with a reworked seat foam & upholstery on a stock seat pan from Sargent, which is available in two heights (low & regular) the heights quoted on their site are "Approx", I ended up with a low +1/2" which I found to be very close to the standard height factory seat. The low + 1" their original recommendation was higher than the stock seat and had me more on my toes than the balls of my feet with both feet down (29" inseam). On my previous bikes I had Corbin seats, comfortable but heavy.
This seat is really nice but my hands are getting numb. Based on things I’ve watched on YouTube my wrists aren’t straight with my forearms so I plan to rotate the levers and see how that works. Then I’ll consider bar risers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts