BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a '18 R1200R, with a standard seat (Sargent).
Yesterday, I put a deposit on a 2022 R1250RS and I am wondering....

Will my 2018 seat(s) fit on the 2022 RS Chassis?

Anyone have information on this?

Maybe someone has the 1250R or 1250RS and has fitted a 2015-2018 seat to it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Think it will fit as the frames were not changed with the 1250 upgrade, however the Sargent site should confirm.

have swapped seats with a friend on his R1200RS and his Sargent fit my 2017 R12R perfectly. However wished he had purchased the high version as I found it low compared to my slightly too tall for me OEM Sport seat.

like sitting over the bike despite my 30 inch inseam.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think it will fit as the frames were not changed with the 1250 upgrade, however the Sargent site should confirm.

have swapped seats with a friend on his R1200RS and his Sargent fit my 2017 R12R perfectly. However wished he had purchased the high version as I found it low compared to my slightly too tall for me OEM Sport seat.

like sitting over the bike despite my 30 inch inseam.
I haven't even seen an R1200RS or a R1250RS in person, or even gotten to sit on one.:) I should have made a point of doing so when they were still around in the dealer's showroom.
I know the reach is longer than the R1200R, but there are modifications to sort that if it's a bother. My R1200R is an absolute perfect fit for me. They had a Demo one day when I w)as in the neighborhood for another reason. Of course I was in the showroom for about 5 minutes before they sent me off on the demonstrator, and consequently got them to find me a "Red one, with everything on it".
Best all around bike I've ridden, hands down, and I have had more than my share. (like over 90).
I can always bring the Sargent with me when it comes in to the dealership this February or March, if it fits, well that will clinch it.
:)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I own a 2016 R1200R, have done many happy km on it. But I've ridden both an R1200RS and an R1250RS, all three with standard-height OEM seats, as well as the standard-height Sargent that's on my 1200. I know there are some minor seat height differences, but I couldn't tell that from riding them. I guess I've never been that sensitive a new-age guy 😂

I was that close to trading my Roadster in on a new R1250RS in late 2019 or spring 2020. And then the :poop: hit the fan, and I backed out, figuring it wouldn't get much use for a while. I plan to revisit that whole thing in spring 2022. Or earlier if I see an offer I can't refuse.

I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't let a couple of mm of seat height get in my way.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm almost sure any seat from 2015 forward fits the current 1250 platform, both R and RS, for what I've read. Many folks have sold seats from 1200s to 1250s, and vice-versa.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I own a '18 R1200R, with a standard seat (Sargent).
Yesterday, I put a deposit on a 2022 R1250RS and I am wondering....

Will my 2018 seat(s) fit on the 2022 RS Chassis?

Anyone have information on this?

Maybe someone has the 1250R or 1250RS and has fitted a 2015-2018 seat to it?

Thanks!
Part numbers are the same for the R1200R/RS and R1250R/RS seats.
We bought two 2022 R1250RSs last month.
Sky Tire Wheel Cloud Land vehicle

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,787 Posts
What @ElpTXjc said.

The bases across the models are the same for any particular seat height. Only the pillion seat vinyl pattern changed along the way.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'd make sure you like the RS before getting rid of the R;). I'd personally get rid of the whale, but up to you. I owned one, and never again. But if you're into touring (I'm not), especially with a passenger, it's definitely better than the other 2 machines.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My now-occasional passenger has ridden everywhere with me for many years in quite a few countries. She is now less enthused about riding generally, and she is fully entitled to feel that way. We have the RT for these occasional two-up rides (on a combination seat, Laam for me, Russell rear seat for her) and for when I want to go further afield on my own.

The R would not have been that enjoyable for New England a few months ago, with rain on 24 of 26 days.

I'm really waiting to see about the new Moto Guzzi V100. I've been a Goose guy at heart for many, many years but they haven't built "my" bike in quite a while and the V100 might finally be The One.

And if not, then most probably the RS will replace the R. I see the RS as basically an R with better air management and slightly less responsive handling due to a minor change to wheel base.

We'll be moving in 2022, to an area where good riding is far more accessible so that will change the equation anyway.

Whale? I'm not so sure. You only have to see Quinn Redeker in action on his R1200RT-P to understand what they are capable of. I very much doubt anyone on here could get even close on an R which says it's all about the rider not the bike. And yeah, I'd probably take out a cone in first 3 feet.

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
61 Posts
... You only have to see Quinn Redeker in action on his R1200RT-P to understand what they are capable of. I very much doubt anyone on here could get even close on an R which says it's all about the rider not the bike.
My guess is that this guy has had A LOT more practice then you, to be able to do this. I have seen people walking over ropes across cliffs, flying through the air in a circus tent. I have seen magicians getting rid of elephants in a blink of an eye. All of those abilities are acquired by practice, and none of them are needed in daily life...

·
Registered
255 Posts
My guess is that this guy has had A LOT more practice then you, to be able to do this. I have seen people walking over ropes across cliffs, flying through the air in a circus tent. I have seen magicians getting rid of elephants in a blink of an eye. All of those abilities are acquired by practice, and none of them are needed in daily life...
As a moto-LEO, Redeker rides for a living and additionally practices his competition routines endlessly, so yes, he has probably more bike-time than 99.99% of the riding population.

Not quite sure how this connects to magicians making elephants disappear;)

I'd agree that the RT may not be the ideal weapon of choice for extreme twisties. I was just making the point that they are very capable machines, much more so than might be perceived, and they give away little to other BMWs in terms of sports performance.

But let's face it, no-one buys a BMW as a pure sports machine anyway, and having had Rs, RSs, GSs and GSAs I'd say there are more similarities than differences. All of the 1200/1250s are excellent variations on a theme, each based on a common platform carefully calibrated for specific audiences.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not quite sure how this connects to magicians making elephants disappear;)
Just to point out that what this cyclist does is an excellent trick, but does nothing that is meaningful in daily driving.
People trying to imitate will likely "fall from the cliff before they reach the rope", so to say :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I disagree totally with your first sentence as I don't understand how this level of moto-handling skill - certainly not a trick - might not be useful to a road rider, in the same way that riders with off-road experience are broadly more skilled riders than those without (IMO).

But let's agree to disagree and leave it there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I disagree totally with your first sentence as I don't understand how this level of moto-handling skill - certainly not a trick - might not be useful to a road rider, in the same way that riders with off-road experience are broadly more skilled riders than those without (IMO).
That skill certainly does not hurt daily driving, but if you need those skills in daily driving you are doing something very dangerous. Not only to yourself, but also to others.
But disagreeing is your right (y)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Whale? I'm not so sure. You only have to see Quinn Redeker in action on his R1200RT-P to understand what they are capable of.
Yes, it's still a whale :). A whale that can dance, but a whale nonetheless. It's like saying a fat guy that can dance, is not fat because he can dance. Makes no sense. Ha ha. And I owned a new 2014 fully loaded, so I'm certainly entitled to that opinion. And I pretty much rode it to its limits too, which are quite high for such a bike. But it's just too large and wide (also heavier), especially for a solo rider. I never enjoyed it in the twisties, even though I could leave sport bikes in the dust (obviously with not very capable riders. Ha ha). The R is immensely more enjoyable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts