BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all...new member here. I own a 2016 FJR1300 and decided at the end of last year’s riding season that I wanted something lighter, more nimble and requiring less work to power through corners.

Today I test-rode three bikes, the Ninja1000SX, the R1250RS, and the R1250R. All were new 2020 models.

General impressions: Ninja1000SX, the default and assumptive choice until this morning, did not fit as well as I'd assumed. Something about it created a sporadic twist and muscle pull in my outer right hip area. Ergonomics were a bit perch-like...I think the bike was just a bit small and low for my 6'1" frame. Really surprising experience, and am puzzled and disappointed that it didn't match my assumptions...in my head, I had that thing already parked in the garage.

Tried the R1250RS, and the slightly elongated ergonomics I sensed before while sitting on it felt a bit better with legs up and riding, but the sporty, folded posture put a lot of weight on the wrists and hands. Handled great, though, and I appreciated the wind protection of the fairing and windscreen.

The R1250R was an incredible, revelatory experience...fit so naturally, like an extension of self. Perfect ergos. Smooth, nimble handling. The engine it shares with the RS is something else, the shift-cam technology gives it awesome power and torque, and the horizontal twin boxer engine is full of character. I’d have to add the larger of the two OEM shields offered by BMW.

There are other sporty liter (1000cc +) bikes I’ve sat on -- Triumph Speed Triple, Suzuki GSX-S1000F, Honda CB1000R -- but none have the right ergonomics for me and I'm not really a Suzuki fan. There's also the Yamaha Tracer 900GT, but the ADV (Adventure) bike styling largely leaves me cold, so that also eliminates the Kawasaki Versys, BMW GS, Ducati Multistrada, et al. So I think it really comes down to the R1250R, if I'm going to make a change. It would be my first BMW, first boxer engine, first naked bike.

I have insurance and license tab renewals at the end of the month, so ideally would like to move forward (or not, conversely, and keep my FJR) in the next week or so. Any current owners have any words of wisdom or advice to push me over the edge?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had a CBR1100XX (‘99). Got a 2018 RS. I had comfort issue with the XX (which I loved) that had me looking for a suitable replacement for about 3 years. I liked the R and RS and found they were worthy successors to the XX. I didn’t notice a posture difference, but either I wasn’t that far gone to notice or the fairing/no fairing difference drew more of my attention during the test rides. After breaking in the RS, I took a token ride on the XX (had planned on keeping both) and knew I’d never ride it again...I never realized how uncomfortable it had become until I got used to a bike that better fit me (5’ 10” @ 173 lbs.).

Clearly you find the R most comfortable, but you haven’t detailed how you plan to use the new steed. If you were going to do a lot of touring, you may prefer the RS or want to ensure adequate wind deflection can be added to the R to make touring pleasant.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Also, how close are you to a BMW shop? For me all of them are at least 2 hours away. Not that I was prone to go to dealerships for service, but most every time I need to deal with BMW, they want me to leave the bike overnight. So, I either have to rent a U-Haul trailer or load the bike into the pickup. Not a buy/don’t buy issue if you really like a particular bike, but it is a thumbs down factor in my BMW experience. Being able to ride to the shop and Uber home is nice to have if you can get it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have no regrets. Still learning stuff on it. Would like a stickier rear tyre. Still learning to restrain myself accessing the capabilities on a whim ;)

{edit} - I have the sport seat and it is good-different for taller people.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Welcome to the forum RC65, the R1200r/1250r are probably the most underrated bikes on the market, it's a secret that seems to be getting out, enjoy.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Can't speak on the 1250 bike, but I had the same reaction when I threw my leg over my 1200 Roadster. They fit and feel so good, and I haven't regretted a day for taking her home.

Hope it works out for you, keep us posted. Ride on!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome. :)

To answer the two questions above, the bike will be used primarily as a weekend toy, for three- to four-hour rides on largely back country roads. I bought my touring-centric FJR with the thought that I would start doing longer rides, full days and weekend trips out of state. It didn’t happen, generally speaking. Along with wanting to shave off 150 pounds from my ride, I want to get a bike that’s more suited to the type of riding I do 95% of the time...winding weekend rides.

I have two BMW dealerships near me, 30 minutes to the North and 1.5 hours to the South. I don’t wrench on my own bikes, so, yes, having a close dealership is key. I’d have serious reservations if the one 30 minutes North of me wasn’t there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the ergonomics were equal, I would choose the RS as I like the look and wind protection of bikes with fairings. In fact, it was pictures of the RS I found while researching alternatives to my FJR that initially put the 1250 on my radar.

But while the two bikes are similar in most ways, the ergonomics feel significantly different to me. The reach and forward lean of the RS put me in a folded crouch with a good deal of weight on my hands and wrists, while the R feels completely neutral, comfortable and upright.

So I choose the R not because of the lack of fairing but rather in spite of it...the ergonomics of the R just fit me and what I like far better. If the RS had the ergos of the R, that’d be a perfect bike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nothing better than having a bike that you truly feel fits like a glove. And that feeling only increases as you get more seat time and your body develops muscle memory. I have a '16 R1200R LC, moved up from a new Triumph Tiger 800 XRT, bought new and was sure it would be my last ever motorcycle purchase. First venture into BMW land and could not be happier. I'm 5' 6" and the R has the standard seat (most comfortable of any bike ever owned). Am considering getting some lowered pegs one day, but that is more a 'want' than a 'need'.

If you really like the ergos of R1250R and your budget can stretch that far, then IMHO go for it. I'm confident you will not regret it I know I haven't and they'll have to pluck the keyless ride transponder from my cold dead fingers before I part with it. And welcome to the forum, let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments and the welcome, everyone. I’ve decided to hold off the purchase for a week and half to see what happens with my hotspot/epicenter state, Washington State. I’m a little concerned that a shelter-in-place directive would eliminate the possibility for a first service, getting the thing licensed/tabbed if the dealer and state offices are shut down, etc.

I’ll be sure to post an update as soon as I have one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I’m sure is no suprise to anyone, the pandemic and Washington State’s determination (shortly after my last post) that motorcycle sales isn’t an essential business interrupted the sales process on my ‘20 1250R, so I’m still not One of You. Just waiting for the green light from the governor that businesses can resume operations, and I can finally put this deal to bed. My patience is being tested, but at least I have my health (and YouTube 1250R test ride videos to calm the itch).

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts
Mail order, @RC65?

You could always download and read the owners manual. It's written in Germlish, so much of it won't make sense until you get your bike to actually play with. Then you will realise it has been written with a high degree of technical accuracy and precision, if not intelligibility.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great idea — thank you, this’ll let me hit the ground running. I’ve downloaded the ‘19+ version of the owner’s manual, and will read it this weekend.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
If the ergonomics were equal... ...So I choose the R not because of the lack of fairing but rather in spite of it...the ergonomics of the R just fit me and what I like far better. If the RS had the ergos of the R, that’d be a perfect bike.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at the <cycle-ergo> website, where you can put, on paper so to speak, the two bikes side-by-side. Not that the comparison will tell you much that you don't already know, but it's a useful tool to play with while in lock-down mode..

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts
How tall are you, @RC65? At 13 cm (6 ft on last millenium’s scale) I find with the stock R seat I’d be squatting on the bike. The no cost High seat option (standard on the RS) suits me much better. The bonus is it has more padding to achieve its height.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How tall are you, @RC65? At 13 cm (6 ft on last millenium’s scale) I find with the stock R seat I’d be squatting on the bike. The no cost High seat option (standard on the RS) suits me much better. The bonus is it has more padding to achieve its height.
I’m 6’1”, but didn’t find the stock seat on the R to be uncomfortable on my testride. That said, I wouldn’t mind exploring that option, providing it doesn’t notably change the ergonomics and raise me up to a degree that I’m leaned forward and weight put on my wrists. I dismissed the RS precisely because of that positioning...in comparison, the R fit me like a glove, and I’d hate to mess with that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts