BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just took posession of my r1200r at the dealer garage. Before taking posession I had the 6000 kmiles check up done. Upon arriving home I noticed there is a "Service" message showing on the LCD. What does this meen?:icon_scratch:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This means that, whoever did the service did not reset the code.
What if they never did plug the bike on the computer, and charged me for it?..:mad: I hate that. Doesn't the service light reset its self when the go thrue the computer procedure?

·
Registered
800 Posts
What if they never did plug the bike on the computer, and charged me for it?..:mad: I hate that. Doesn't the service light reset its self when the go thrue the computer procedure?
My understanding is that it will eventually put you in "limp home" mode if they don't reset it. And they do have to reset it at the dealership. Guaranteed income!

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I can understand where you are coming from, Zblip2, having in a way been there, done that, altho' with a slightly different issue. Right now, you probably hate the bike, the dealer, the brand, everything to do with it!

But stick with it - the R1200R is a great bike, and I'm on my third one! It's not perfect, but what is? I cannot explain the problem you have, but for what it's worth - your bike is five (5) years old, it appears. It may well be that the computer has become totally bamboozled because of lack of services over this lengthy time, hence the display. I'd suggest a call - or even better, a visit - to the dealer to discuss it with him and get the display re-set, if indeed that's the issue. If dissatisfied, find another dealer.

From then on, all should be well. Your bike is almost brand-new, and apart from maybe a few minor cosmetic changes almost indistinguishable from a current model, therefore well worth a little trouble to "de-bug".

One of my minor dislikes with almost all current or recent BMWs is that they are overloaded with computer-based functions such as the one that's causing you grief. I often feel that we ordinary mortals would be better off without them!

But do persist (persistence is everything) and I'm sure you will in time be well rewarded by your R1200R. Let us all know how you get on.

Cheers from Oz...

L of S

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can understand where you are coming from, Zblip2, having in a way been there, done that, altho' with a slightly different issue. Right now, you probably hate the bike, the dealer, the brand, everything to do with it!

But stick with it - the R1200R is a great bike, and I'm on my third one! It's not perfect, but what is? I cannot explain the problem you have, but for what it's worth - your bike is five (5) years old, it appears. It may well be that the computer has become totally bamboozled because of lack of services over this lengthy time, hence the display. I'd suggest a call - or even better, a visit - to the dealer to discuss it with him and get the display re-set, if indeed that's the issue. If dissatisfied, find another dealer.

From then on, all should be well. Your bike is almost brand-new, and apart from maybe a few minor cosmetic changes almost indistinguishable from a current model, therefore well worth a little trouble to "de-bug".

One of my minor dislikes with almost all current or recent BMWs is that they are overloaded with computer-based functions such as the one that's causing you grief. I often feel that we ordinary mortals would be better off without them!

But do persist (persistence is everything) and I'm sure you will in time be well rewarded by your R1200R. Let us all know how you get on.

Cheers from Oz...

L of S
Thanks for the insightfull comentary. First off, yes, I tend to dissociate myself with people showing off social standing through brand, and materialistic devices. This goes for anithing from clothing to cars, jewlry... I don't know why but I just think it sucks, and that nothing good will ever come out of it socially and on the individual level also. If I see some one using a brand to up his social image, eather it be BMW or Harley or whatever else, I tend to dislike that person right away and think that he's shallow and vain. That's what I feel, probably cause I lived a good part of my life knowing that I would never have enough dough to throw away to buy expensive "look at me" items. Maybe I've got an issue with this. I'm willing to accept that. But this issue is common to the majority of the population which cant afford stuff like a BMW motorcicle.

On the other hand, its just a motorcycle, so why am I so jugemental about it and the people rignt them. After all, some people have more money than others, and for some of those people, driving a very good motorcycle takes an important part in being happy. And I must admit, after riding the bike it was clear it was way more fun that riding my current 1982 Suzuki gs750t... So I'm gonna try to sort this out in my head... :dizzy:

The bike:

I dont hate the bike, I find that it is an awsome bike, and probably the best one for my riding habits and stile. I love everything about it exept the sport windshield, and the non ABS brakes that tend to bite at low speed. The rest is just pure pleasure. And I think it looks awsome.

The dealer:

I dont trust this dealer, I've had a lawyer dispute with them cause they overcharged me crazy on some work they "didnt" do on a bike a good while ago. I hadn't delt witht hem since. It so happens, they are th only BMW dealer in the area so... Now this thing with the service warning message, as the bike comes out of the 6kmiles check-up isnt funny to me.

The brand:

I think BMW is milking the cow just like Harley is. It is riding on its image and charging way too much for parts, options, service etc... It doesn't take anything away from the quality of the bike, but they still over charge, and the reason why is cause people will pay more for the image reasons as mentioned earlier in my post. C'est la vie I guess. At least BMW offers honnest quality products as compared to Harley which in my mind is total fluff based on virility upgrade and "bad **s wannabe" sindrum... BMW represents technical mastery and is resting on the bikes history, as a no non sense quality euro tourer icon which is cool.

ok enough talk about my feelings, this forum isn't a therapy blog. I should just shut up and ride...

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Zblip2, everybody needs to let of steam every now and again. BMW is a prestige brand but I've always felt that more applied to their cars and not bikes, as no matter what make or model bike you have you're always going to get cold, wet and dirty at some stage but always come home with a smile on your face.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zblip2, everybody needs to let of steam every now and again. BMW is a prestige brand but I've always felt that more applied to their cars and not bikes, as no matter what make or model bike you have you're always going to get cold, wet and dirty at some stage but always come home with a smile on your face.
Well said!:iagree:

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
It all depends on how you personally act. If you don't act like an arrogant douchbag while you're out on your bike...then consider yourself better than many people out there and definitely the majority of Harley owners.

For example, I do the "wave" at every bike I see (when it is safe for me to do so). Does everyone wave back? Nope. But at least I put in the effort, and that's how I combat arrogant douchebag syndrome. Incidentally, the people who don't wave back have almost always been on Harleys. But I suppose that's beside the point.

As long as you enjoy your bike and aren't a douche, that's all that matters my friend :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It all depends on how you personally act. If you don't act like an arrogant douchbag while you're out on your bike...then consider yourself better than many people out there and definitely the majority of Harley owners.

For example, I do the "wave" at every bike I see (when it is safe for me to do so). Does everyone wave back? Nope. But at least I put in the effort, and that's how I combat arrogant douchebag syndrome. Incidentally, the people who don't wave back have almost always been on Harleys. But I suppose that's beside the point.

As long as you enjoy your bike and aren't a douche, that's all that matters my friend :)
Dont start me on those Harley guys.. Las summer I was walking to work and one of them nearly blew off my ear drums as he accelerated past me like a mad man with his "cut off pipes". I'm a recording engineer I'm sure I lost a couple of decibels of hearing right there. Was an a$$ hole.:mad: I dont get it... really, I dont get it. The guy was about 45 years old, it doesn't make sense..

·
Registered
171 Posts
If the Service light is still on, just call or go back and ask them to shut it off. It should have been done at the service.

It will NOT go into limp mode or anything else. Its just a reminder.

I do my own service and cannot put that silly reminder out, so I will have to pay some one to do it or buy the tool. My bike is a 2112 only a few months old but has over 6,000 miles on it.

Enjoy your new R

David

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
When is the service light scheduled to go on?

I bought my bike at 14.2K miles, told the 12k svc was done, don't think it was (no record of it), now have 19+k miles, in twice for fuel strip during that time and no service light has ever shown. I do my own work for the most part.

Does the service light remove any part of the display, say, the odometer reading?

Is it defeatable by pressing the info or #1 or #2 buttons?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
When is the service light scheduled to go on?

I bought my bike at 14.2K miles, told the 12k svc was done, don't think it was (no record of it), now have 19+k miles, in twice for fuel strip during that time and no service light has ever shown. I do my own work for the most part.

Does the service light remove any part of the display, say, the odometer reading?

Is it defeatable by pressing the info or #1 or #2 buttons?
It seems that it is set up to go on 6000 miles after it was last reset, or when time-based maintenance is required. It doesn't remove any part of the display; it shows and additional "SERVICE" indicator on the LCD display, and the yellow warning triangle comes on. As far as I know, it is not resettable using the buttons on the instrument cluster.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
If the Service light is still on, just call or go back and ask them to shut it off. It should have been done at the service.

It will NOT go into limp mode or anything else. Its just a reminder.

I do my own service and cannot put that silly reminder out, so I will have to pay some one to do it or buy the tool. My bike is a 2112 only a few months old but has over 6,000 miles on it.

Enjoy your new R

David
Can you post pics of the 2112 model? I want to see what a bike from the future looks like! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts