BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started braking my bike in and I started noticing a very loud clunk when engaging the clutch at slow speed and on/off throttle in 1st at slow speed also.
I put the bike on center stand in gear and rocked the wheel back and forth to find about 1.5 to 2" of back and forth wheel movement with loud clunking noise in the engine/transmission area. Things don't seem right and I never recall having any such thing in my 07.

Any input/opinions would be great.

Thanks
V

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Things occasionally clunk when the bike wears in. It usually goes away. If it is consistently doing it, the dealer needs to know. My bike had transmission gremlins until about 600 miles then they all went away to someone else's newer bike. Gremlins like new bikes, but get bored with them after a while. . . .:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmmm, I have noticed the very same thing from my 2012 Classic, this very weekend.
It only happens when 1st. gear is engaged, and seems to be more pronounced if 1st. gear has not been ingaged firmly. Using more pressure on the gear lever seems to help. I don't recall hearing and feeling the clunk, but there again, i wasn't looking for it!

I too hope it's just gremlins, but i'm not confident!!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Yeah, I got transmission gremlins like that for a few hundred miles. They get bored and go on to the next new bike after a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have noticed the same thing on my new classic. It's pretty annoying, but is only an issue in 1st gear thankfully. I haven't ridden many beemers to compare to it, however, the new water boxer I test rode didn't seem to exhibit this. Frankly, I've been on pins and needles with this purchase. I own many bikes, mostly Jap, and 1 triumph.
An interesting thing tho---With all these other bikes to ride, I find myself picking the R1200R most often than not. Time will tell, keeping my fingers crossed. I really want to keep loving this bike!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The transmission on the roadsters has over the years been described as "agricultural," meaning that clunking into gear is not usually an unusual thing--like a tractor-tongue in cheek. It especially happens in first and sometimes you have to finesse the clutch level, find the sweet spot, for first to engage...with a Ka-lunk. Sometimes it "engages" agriculturally in 2nd, or thrid, but 1st is the one it really happens with.

It was more noticeable on the 1150s than the 12s, but it's still there. As time goes on, you get the hang of it more and you can better "feel" the engagement. As far as I can remember that Clunk has never been reported to be anything of an issue beyond acoustically cosmetic.
On my 12, 25k miles, It does clunk a bit, but having 100k miles on an 1150 under my belt, I knew what to expect, and engage accordingly.

Now, having said all that, each bike is different, and I cannot say what y'all are expereincing is normal or abnormal, so, with any question like that, a trip to the dealer for a second opinion may be prudent.

My suspicion is what you're having is normal, and you'll get used to it by adapting your shifting technique, and the clunking will be minimized, if at all there. A nature of the beast thing.
It is FREQUENTLY reported that the BMW tranny is not going to be buttah-smooth like a Japanese bike, but it is tough, the clunking being no indication of sloppy gear play leading to unusual wear.

John

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I did have those issues initially, especially in first, which clunked and occasionally went on vacation or medical leave. It almost all went away in a few hundred miles, so see what happens over time. Once in a while, the bike will occasionally kick into neutral from a downshift, but the green light comes on, so it's not an 'oh f-word' surprise. If it is still really cranky and clunky after, say, 200 miles, the dealer should take a look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no problem with the shifting. As a matter of fact it's extremely smooth, way smoother than my 07 non OHC was.

What I experience is (what I feel is) excessive transmission lash that is noticed primarily in 1st gear slow speed when engaging/disengaging clutch. I just did not remember it being so noticeable in my 07 R1200R so I was a bit concerned.

It's a Boxer and a BMW so I'm leaving it at that. I'm riding the **** out of it and enjoying every minute of it although it did take several weeks and several hundred miles to get the Boxeritus fever again and remember what I missed :D

I already christened it. Bounced of the front fender of Ford sport track ridden by a very pretty milf who was in a big hurry to pick up her kids and just didn't see me. To my amazement (and some bystanders) I never went down but more than anything, not a friggn' scratch on the Boxer. There was a big crease in her fender that must have been done by the bar end but I cant even find a mark or a spot of paint on anything. I got sore shins from (yup you guessed it) hitting the cylinder heads and stiffness through out my body from the jarring. This was last Wednesday and I'm still trying to find something on the bike. Assessment is...built German tough :D

While I'm at it I do have a couple complaints, biggest being the lousy shocks than suspension control and not so refined traction control.
For a 21k bike (OTD in Canada) and a BMW It's quite disappointing especially the poor quality shocks. I don't mind throwing 4k of aftermarket stuff to make a 12k bike work better but it pisses me off to have to do the same on a 21k bike....being the suspension, seat, fuelling etc.

Before some of you bark at me...33 years of riding, 50+ motorcycle of all sorts and brands, over 20 years of on/off track riding and have build more than few specials myself. I have certain expectations lol.

If I was allowed only one bike at this point in my life (based on my wants and needs and experience) I couldn't think of anything else right now. But off coarse seat and Ohlin's is a must :D
Amen...

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have to agree with Dalmatino on the shocks. I have played with the settings, which are not very intuitive, but still find them harsh at best.
Just how big of a difference would a set of Ohlins make, and about how much to buy and have them installed?
Any feedback is welcome. Also are there other brands that are just as good?
Who makes the shocks for our bikes from the factory?

I can understand the seats not working for everyone, and the quality of the bike overall is excellent. Sure a far cry from my old Nortons!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have to agree with Dalmatino on the shocks. I have played with the settings, which are not very intuitive, but still find them harsh at best.
Just how big of a difference would a set of Ohlins make, and about how much to buy and have them installed?
Any feedback is welcome. Also are there other brands that are just as good?
Who makes the shocks for our bikes from the factory?

I can understand the seats not working for everyone, and the quality of the bike overall is excellent. Sure a far cry from my old Nortons!

I deal with Thermosman (Mike Fitzgerald) for all my suspension needs. He's one of the top suspension guys in the North America and he's in Atlanta area.

Here's a link Thermosman Suspensions Just tell him that the crazy Dalmatian/Croatian from Regina recommended him :001_rolleyes:.

He can provide you with pretty much anything you want but apparently Ohlin's sells more BMW shocks than any other.
He will set them up properly for you and his prices usually are better than most other over the counter places.

A seat and pair of Ohlin's will be going on my bike next winter. My summer this year is shot do to work up in great white north so unfortunately the bike will be sitting for quite some time now so I have no immediate need for either.

PS: In my experience the difference is night and day and I've done many on many different bikes. One of my buddies finally after 5 yrs (he's cheap) put a set on his R1150R and he continuously kicks himself for not putting them on the 1st year instead of waiting to wear his stockers out...and I jab him at every opportunity for it lol...

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
... I started noticing a very loud clunk when engaging the clutch at slow speed and on/off throttle in 1st at slow speed also.
I put the bike on center stand in gear and rocked the wheel back and forth to find about 1.5 to 2" of back and forth wheel movement with loud clunking noise in the engine/transmission area. Things don't seem right and I never recall having any such thing in my 07.
I'm far from being an expert, BUT, having owned several new boxers of the R and GS persuasion since 1998 this does not sound at all right or commonplace.

I'd not screw around any more - I'd get the bike back to the dealer asap.

Lawrence of Suburbia

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts