BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this doesn't happen every time, but like one out of 10-15 slow-speed downshifts the SAP will take me from third down to neutral. Today I was able to see it show 3, then as I shifted it showed 2, clunked a little, and then N on the dash. The first few times I thought maybe I miscounted my downshifts and was soft going into first... But since then I've been paying more attention to the selected gear on the dash, and have noticed it happening from 3rd. And actually seeing the display confirm it... Sigh.

This is with a 2016, and I had to have the SAP re-enabled after the service department replaced the gauge cluster shortly after I purchased (just under 6k miles, now at 6400). I've set an appointment to leave it with the service department next Tuesday but thought I would check here and see if anyone else had ever seen anything similar.

·
Registered
561 Posts
No, but I don’t think shift assist is the issue. All it does is blip the throttle so the dogs can change gears without engaging the clutch. It doesn’t actually change gears. Something is letting it slip past 2nd enough that it pops into N when the motor applies torque to the gearbox. Hopefully it’s just some adjustable thing that’s easy to correct.

I don’t shift hard, so I don’t know if one could pass a gear by hitting the shifter hard enough (change gears with enough force to make the dogs continue past where they would normally stop).

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
What ZNG said.

Lever pressure shouldn't make any difference, in my opinion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have seen the shift to N when approaching a traffic light when shifting to 1st when using shift assist.

I believe this to be me not applying enough pressure and actually selecting N with a light tap.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
What ZNG said.

Lever pressure shouldn't make any difference, in my opinion.
Yet it does. As in, insufficient pressure. Same goes for upshifts. In my experience, you can't just jab at it half-heartedly and expect it to work every time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Note that is said I had thought I might have been lazy going to first, corrected and paid closer attention, and found it was 3rd to second that was the issue. Will report back on findings next week.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
Yet it does.
Got me, sturgeon. I was meaning higher pressure, which is what the OP was implying (by my reading, at least). Indeed, as you say, lower pressure can pick false neutrals, or cause the shift-assist to not instigate.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But, PZ, how do you get a true neutral shifting down from third? That's what I'm trying to figure out...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Didn’t you say you saw 2, before it clunked and went into neutral? Might you have inadvertently shifted twice?
No, I did not (inadvertently shift twice). Today I ran down through all gears, to 1st, clutched and stopped, and when I went to take off it was in neutral. And skipped 2nd several times this evening, too. I was counting.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now thinking it's a transmission issue, and not shift-assist... sigh.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
Indeed, it’s a problem with the transmission. The gear selection cam is rotating too far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was having similar shifting inconsistencies. The shifter pivot stud retention bolt had worked loose letting the shifter rattle around loose.

Took the bolt on the back all the way out, cleaned and greased the pivot stud & hole in the shift lever, then re-installed the bolt with a bit of blue Loctite. Fixed cheap.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
I can’t see how that would cause overshooting from 3rd to neutral though, @Mr. Badger 🤔

·
Registered
647 Posts
So, this doesn't happen every time, but like one out of 10-15 slow-speed downshifts the SAP will take me from third down to neutral. Today I was able to see it show 3, then as I shifted it showed 2, clunked a little, and then N on the dash. .....
I rarely use the shifty thing, it seems to work best from 3 to 6 (up or down) but I am so programmed to use the clutch, that if I do use the Shifty, it's because I spend a few seconds to get the bike in just the right RPM and .... so I just have to come to just ignore the feature 99% of the time.

But it sounds like the gear selector has a problem keeping it settled where it was last shifted. It could require something simple like a software update. But only your Authorized BMW Dealer knows for sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BMW dealer was not much help. Couldn't reproduce, no codes in the system, so no problem. $120 USD to have the shift lever adjusted a leetle teeny bit, and be told I'm doing it wrong...

Why am I always the one that finds the hard-to-reproduce bugs...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
P.S. - ShiftAssist is "designed to work when shifting up while speed is increasing and engine is under load, or down when speed is decreasing and the throttle is closed."

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
Interestingly the factory manual has no procedures that relate to adjustment or repair of gearbox internals.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts