BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently riding a well loved 12 R. I arrived home from a recent five day tour and after a short while in the garage noticed a puddle of oil under the motor. This appeared to be coming from the back of the gearbox. Off to the shop it went......diagnosis....leaking output shaft seal. Estimate for repair...$1400. After a quick scoot around the forum this does not seem particularly unusual. Also it seems there was an actual recall on the ‘12 GS for what sounds like the same issue. So my question is, when I get the seals replaced will I be doing it again in another 25k? The shop doesn’t seem to be proposing any new fix that would keep it from happening again. Meanwhile my neighbor has a 2010 Honda VFR1200F with only 10k for sale at a very good price? I would miss the R but not if it’s going to be unreliable. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
5,155 Posts
The failure is more likely age related than distance, I’d think. Going from your earlier posts it seems your bike is a 2012 model, and being from Canada, I presume you mean 25,000 km rather than miles. This is a pittance for an eight year old bike. Forum experience indicates seals harden if a bike sits unused for long periods. My suggestion is to get it fixed and ride it.

A VFR12 is an entirely different bike: weight (higher) riding position (more crouched) fuel consumption (higher) and tank size (smaller). So if you like riding the Roadster, think long and hard before making such a change.

Reactions: herdygerdy
1 - 2 of 2 Posts