BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently riding a well loved 12 R. I arrived home from a recent five day tour and after a short while in the garage noticed a puddle of oil under the motor. This appeared to be coming from the back of the gearbox. Off to the shop it went......diagnosis....leaking output shaft seal. Estimate for repair...$1400. After a quick scoot around the forum this does not seem particularly unusual. Also it seems there was an actual recall on the ‘12 GS for what sounds like the same issue. So my question is, when I get the seals replaced will I be doing it again in another 25k? The shop doesn’t seem to be proposing any new fix that would keep it from happening again. Meanwhile my neighbor has a 2010 Honda VFR1200F with only 10k for sale at a very good price? I would miss the R but not if it’s going to be unreliable. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
It's a hard decision to make. Those VFRs are amazing. My R had a leak at the balance shaft seal when I bought it, luckily the shop I bought it from helped me out and I had it replaced fairly cheaply. The BMW shop said the seals are fairly robust and guessed that the issue was they were pressed in slightly crooked in the factory or that they sometimes get brittle after sitting static for too long. My Google-foo seems to confirm that.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I had that issue once where the seal was 'sweating' (the mech's term, not mine) rather than freely losing oil. Only discovered at a routine check as the underside of the gearbox had a thin film of oil on it, but no other external evidence: we all know how even the slightest trace of oil on a hot surface can spread. Bike was about three years old at that stage, but had only ~12,000km on it and all services by BMW were fully up-to-date. Dealer - unasked - contacted BMW who authorised replacement of the seal under warranty - would have been about a $1600 cost otherwise. Happy chappy!

My advice - do not quit the bike, especially if you love it, as you say - but keep an eye on the areas around the seal, especially if the bike is not used for lengthy periods. My understanding is that any replacement seal would be of an improved type. FWIW of course.

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
The failure is more likely age related than distance. Going from your earlier posts it seems your bike is a 2012 model, and being from Canada, I presume you're talking about 25,000 km rather than miles. That's a pittance for an eight year old bike. Forum experience indicates seals harden if a bike sits unused for long periods. My suggestion is to get it fixed and ride it.

A VFR12 is an entirely different bike: weight (higher) riding position (more crouched) fuel consumption (higher) and tank size (smaller). So if you like riding your Roadster, think long and hard before making such a change.

Reactions: MGL

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I had a 2005 VFR and it was a beautiful bike but does not compare with the performance and handling of the BMW. The prices BMW charges for maintenance and repairs is so much more than ridiculous. If i were you I would look up how to do it yourself on utube or somewhere on the web and give it a shot before shelling out $1400. I had a small crack in my healight on my 2011 and the dealer quoted $250 for a headlight. The headlight on my 2015 is around $1200. That is just stupid. How can a headlight be that expensive. Bought a plexiglass shield for the light to avoid future breakage. Sorry but I had to rant. Good luck with the bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
The headlight on my 2015 is around $1200. That is just stupid. How can a headlight be that expensive.
An unidentified driver clipped the corner of our daughter’s Jeep Compass (Patriot) a while back. Genuine article A$850 from an auto parts supplier, likely more from a dealer. That’s just a tail light/indicator/reversing light - no precision beam pattern, just a plastic assembly, a few LED’s and two bulbs. That makes the price of the LC headlight seem reasonable, and the 2011 one a bargain in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
If $1200 is reasonable to you then you have a lot more cash than I. Of course with the pandemic if the U.
s. gov't keeps printing money it will soon be $2400 for the headlight.

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
If $1200 is reasonable to you then you have a lot more cash than I.
It’s only reasonable to me by comparison with other contemporary prices. Until we need to buy these things, we don’t realise how much they actually cost. Gone are the days of buying a generic 7” sealed beam unit from the local servo for a few dollars
- everything is bespoke to a model range these days (because we demand styling and features) so we pay accordingly.

Just wondering if you’ve checked prices on other motorcycle brands. Below is a random sample from Honda (A$ prices).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm having a similar mental debate about my R1100S. Loved the bike but it has an unobtanium failed driveshaft. Can't ride it but can't bear to part it out or junk it.

OTOH I'm lovin' my R1200R LC. It is, in every way but one, a better bike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
This of any use Mr Badger Sir?

(& apologies to OP for slight thread hijack...)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Many years ago I had a Ducati 860 GTS which I bought quite cheaply. When I started to tidy it up a bit I found the cost of spares to be bloody ridiculous so I sold the bike on and bought a big Jap. A few months later I needed a spare speedo cover as I had broke mine and the price of that made my eyes water, "how much, just for a bit of bent plastic, your having a laugh". Spares for any bike are outrageous but if you want to continue to ride they've got you by the balls. I used to work with a chap who changed his bike every three years so that spares were never a problem, when I asked him if he really liked the bike and wanted to keep it as it was soo good he just said then I buy the same bike again but I wont own a bike over three years old, price of spares is too scary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Supply and demand. Manufacturers simply do not make bike volumes, and spares, at the immense rate of automobiles. Still, you must not be looking at pricing of various external hard parts on your favorite truck or car lineup. Ain’t cheap either. But still cheaper than a motorcycle equivalent. We ride because...we ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. While it has been in the shop I have been looking at lots of different bike options, incliding the new African twin, Super Tenere, V-strom, etc. Some of them seem like pretty good options. Yesterday I laid out my $1238.00 CDN to get her back, threw a leg over to start the 45 minute ride home and knew almost instantly I wouldn’t be parting with this bike. I don’t think anyone here needs an explanation beyond that. It‘s an incredible machine. All is right with my world.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Any thoughts?
is where my 1100RS went. (away)
I bought an FJR1300 to replace it. We never bonded. Big, Powerful, Inline4, comfortable, and a Heavy, High-Center-Of-Gravity. It went.

Then I rented a 2016 RS, and later a 2017 R....I walked right in, sat right down, flipped a coin and ordered my 2018 12R.

All is well.

You made the right choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am currently riding a well loved 12 R. I arrived home from a recent five day tour and after a short while in the garage noticed a puddle of oil under the motor. This appeared to be coming from the back of the gearbox. Off to the shop it went......diagnosis....leaking output shaft seal. Estimate for repair...$1400. After a quick scoot around the forum this does not seem particularly unusual. Also it seems there was an actual recall on the ‘12 GS for what sounds like the same issue. So my question is, when I get the seals replaced will I be doing it again in another 25k? The shop doesn’t seem to be proposing any new fix that would keep it from happening again. Meanwhile my neighbor has a 2010 Honda VFR1200F with only 10k for sale at a very good price? I would miss the R but not if it’s going to be unreliable. Any thoughts?
is where my 1100RS went. (away)
I bought an FJR1300 to replace it. We never bonded. Big, Powerful, Inline4, comfortable, and a Heavy, High-Center-Of-Gravity. It went.

Then I rented a 2016 RS, and later a 2017 R....I walked right in, sat right down, flipped a coin and ordered my 2018 12R.

All is well.

You made the right choice.
Beauty 😀

1 - 16 of 16 Posts